Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HID High Intensity Discharge Headlights...
I dont like these headlights 11 35.48%
Too hard to see against at nighttime 17 54.84%
Dont see alot of these headlights 0 0%
I dont mind them I like them 8 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times

Advertisements

I have to say, they're wonderful if you're the one driving behind them, and I generally don't mind them on other cars, as long as they're aimed properly. I do agree that there is still room for improvement on that front. Even among the factory installed versions on different luxury cars, I notice that some are a lot better than others for oncoming drivers.

With all that variation in what oncoming drivers perceive, I think the standards on these things need to be tightened up, better clarified, more rigorously tested, or all of the above. It'll take 15-20 years for most of the bad ones to be retired to the salvage yard, but the sooner no more of these blind every other driver, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
What about these new blue-ish type headlights??

Like them?

Dislike them?
I hate them with a PURPLE passion.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,449 times
Both my husband and I are blinded by these lights. We almost went off the road a few nights ago from an oncoming car with these lights. They should be outlawed!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Here's your solution right here, folks:

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
I don't know why everyone who does not have the HID kits in their car hate them so bad... I think if they are driving down the road and getting blinded by these lights they are not following the fundamentals of driving. EX: If driving down the road, especially a two lane black top when approaching an on coming car you are not suppose to look directly at the car, you are suppose to look down and right at the shoulder/fog line. Basic driving tactics. Thanks

The stick.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM

256 posts, read 586,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstick1282 View Post
I don't know why everyone who does not have the HID kits in their car hate them so bad... I think if they are driving down the road and getting blinded by these lights they are not following the fundamentals of driving. EX: If driving down the road, especially a two lane black top when approaching an on coming car you are not suppose to look directly at the car, you are suppose to look down and right at the shoulder/fog line. Basic driving tactics. Thanks
You are mistaken. First, people aren't looking directly at the other car, and are still getting blinded.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM

333 posts, read 704,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's your solution right here, folks:

As with every other unique feature on the current S-Class, this will be standard equipment in every car sold in America. Ten years from now.

Also, you'll pry my HIDs out of my cold, dead hands lol. I love them so much.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
Also, you'll pry my HIDs out of my cold, dead hands lol. I love them so much.
I don't get the complaints about HIDs. I can see if people don't turn down their brights. But HIDs actually create a more diffuse light pattern than conventional headlights, which means even less of it is being cast directly into oncoming drivers' line of vision. I think what people are actually up in arms about without realizing it is the cooler color temperature of many HID headlights.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
I think people are confusing HIDs with the cheap, purple-like replicas. There is a difference. The HIDs are in new beemers and I've been in one and they work fantastically. The cheapo fake purple ones don't do the trick

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,670 times
Some scientific facts may be in order. HIDs are new to me, but what I do know is that if they are bluish, they no doubt will work against night vision more than incandescent headlights, which tend slightly toward the red end of the spectrum. It is important to reduce glare, not increase it. Amateur astronomers know that red lights will not hurt night vision - handy knowledge for folks observing dim celestial objects. If headlights are going to have some color, it should tend towards the red end of the spectrum, not the blue. Redder headlights should help preserve drivers' night vision better.

Automatic bright/dim control is nothing new. It was tried some 50 years ago but didn't catch on because sometimes the bright-dim switch happened at inappropriate times. I think it was called the "autronic eye".

Last edited by Bodryn; 03-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota