U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 25,371 times
Default question on corner lot

I am interested in a house in corner lot,but I am not quite sure about the advantage and disadvantage of corner lot. Some people told me that was more difficult to sell a house in corner lot compared to others which were not at corner.Is that true?Could you please give me some suggestions?Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM

183 posts, read 738,026 times
I view corner lots as good, as long as that corner isn't a major intersection. I like them because you probably only have neighbors on two sides.

Others don't like them because you might have traffic noise on two sides instead of one, and because in a place like MN it might mean substiantially more sidewalk to clear of snow in the winter.

As for resale, I'll leave that to the pro's who frequent this board.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 819,172 times
Default Down on the corner, out in the street...

Corners can be great and/or terrible. Here's what I've found:

Houses that benefit from corners are ones that:

a) take advantage of the corner. If the home is constructed at a 45 degree angle to the corner and uses the positioning for show - very good. Last year, I sold a home in a quiet neighborhood in Inver Grove Heights for full value in a neighborhood that was relatively old. The home had moderate renovation issues to boot. I credit our success, in part, to the fact that the home sat proudly facing the corner with enough set back from the road to be stately.

b) not on busy intersections. This is a toughy. I've seen sellers take major hits when it comes time to sell. Who wants to live in a home that should probably become a gas station one day?

There are exceptions and ways of dealing with this though:

We sold a property on Louisiana Ave in St. Louis Park that has serious traffic. The home owners planted privacy bushes and trees many years ago, and even with the traffic, the home felt relatively private. Other exceptions are the mega ramblers in St. Louis Park/Golden Valley area that go for $1 mill+. Lots of traffic, but holy carp the area is cool. Kind of like Miles Davis meets the Daytona 500. Ok, bad comparison...

Does that help?

Robert

Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 25,371 times
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you know where can get city plan information---to know whether there is more houses to be built,new stores,etc?Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 AM

5,231 posts, read 8,985,534 times
We live on a corner lot in St Paul. Advantages: two "fronts" to showcase, the house is more prominent. (A disadvantage when I haven't kept up maintenece like needing a paint job or a major shrub trim!) Disadvantage: as someone else pointed out, I have lots more sidewalk to shovel than my neighbors. Both streets are quiet, so noise not an issue. I *think* I may pay more taxes since the city assesses street maintenence by the foot. Not that big a deal to me, but may be to you.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM

5,231 posts, read 8,985,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty2007 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you know where can get city plan information---to know whether there is more houses to be built,new stores,etc?Thanks again.
Check with city hall to see how the property around the one you want to buy is zoned.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM

35 posts, read 110,155 times
The local library in your neighborhood will probably have copies of any PUD or other construction in the neighborhood as well as zoning maps and the like.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 PM

638 posts, read 2,094,124 times
A corner lot is a major expense when it's time for the streets to be redone. You will be assessed by the foot; and when the city puts in new curb and gutters; your neighbors will be complaining about their huge assessments; but you will be hit with a double whammy (or more, depending on how deep your block is) of the assessment fees that they are hit with.

Do some serious research on this before purchasing; I *think* (but can't remember for sure) that that assessment fee can be transferred to the buyer of a corner lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota