Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM

327 posts, read 594,065 times

Advertisements

Ok so here it goes.. I'm from Washington State (yes I saw a thread already about why we Washingtonians move to MN, lol) I'm 29 and have lived here all my life except one year I lived in Iowa. Loved it there and people were SO nice compared to out here. But missed it here (WA) after a year so I came back.. Well that was 10 years ago.. I loved how the pace was slower and I'm WAY more of a 'country' girl, if that's what you would call it. Hate the city..lol. Plus everything out here is so dang pricey.

Out here, I have no friends to do things with. Either family or just acquaintances. Moved around a bunch so never got any stable friends from school. And don't have much of a family either... But I DO have friends that I made in Iowa, that now live near Willmar.

Anyways, I'm wondering how it's like in Willmar. Yes I can ask my friends out there, but as I've read through a lot of these posts, I notice some of you are from there also. So could you please let me know what it's like there? I know the winter is really snowy (which we hardly get any) and summers can be hot. (not here really either) I have a child in grade school, so I'm also wondering about how the schools are. Is there a bit to do in Willmar? Nice people?

Sorry this post is so long. I tend to go into too much detail sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 PM

256 posts, read 664,236 times
I currently live in Willmar, and I think it is what you make it. I consider it a small town with a lot of potential with no one willing to do anything about it. It's kind of frustrating. However, we have a new mayor for the first time in about sixteen years, so this could change.

It has a mall with JC Penney and Herbergers, Bath and Body, K-Mart, a small bookstore, etc. We have a Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Applebees, Caribou Coffee (along with a few really good independent coffee shops that are doing well). The usual in fast food. Grizzly's, McMillans, Perkins. It seems like there is a bank on every corner. Small towns around the area have some cute stores, like New London (15 min away) has a store called the Millpond Mercantile that I adore. Willmar has a pretty good library, too. A lot of history to learn about in the area with the Sioux Uprising. They have a place called the Barn Theatre with lots of good shows throughout the year. Check out Willmar Fest on google; it's a pretty big thing around here. Lots of little festivals throughout the area. New London has the Crow River ski team and a music festival.

This is the lakes area-you will find that a lot of activities go around that. What you can't find in things to do around here, you can find in a forty minute trip to St. Cloud. (A lot of people take that trip on a regular basis-four lane all the way). Seems to be a lot of parks and trails around Willmar that are used heavily. We have Ridgewater College, Rice Hospital. It is growing slowly, but like I said, it could really be something, we just haven't had the people in the right places to get it done. People want more businesses around here, and it is just a matter of when.

I'm 29 with no kids, but from what I have heard, they have good schools. They have public schools, and then a smaller private school. If you don't like the school here, they have a lot of good schools to choose from, and open enrollment, so you could always send your kid to NL-S, etc.

Willmar is a small town. You're not going to find a whole lot of club hopping going on here. Not even a lot of bars. People live here mainly because they have family or friends here, or because they ENJOY being able to get out of town in five or ten minutes and being on the open road. They enjoy not sitting in traffic for an hour to get home. They like that it is a smaller community and relatively safe. When it comes to finding a job, if you are in the medical field of any kind, you will be alright. They are always running ads for nursing assistants, LPN, etc. Accountants seem to do well here, as there are a couple of bigger businesses here. Like I said, it is what you make it.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know. I grew up in New London, which I stated earlier isn't far (and many people either work in Willmar or even St. Cloud), but I live in Willmar now.

Last edited by Sarimn00; 12-23-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM

Oh, and I would say Willmar has somewhere around 20,000 people here. It is the hub of Kandiyohi County. Towns around it range anywhere from 100-2000 people.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM

327 posts, read 594,065 times
Thanks for the response! Congrats to having a new mayor. Maybe this one will do more things to make it better there.

There are a few places that you mentioned that I've never heard of like the fast food places and Millpond Mercantile. What kind of store is Millpond Mercantile?

So when it comes to the lakes, we have only a couple in my area. Do your lakes get crowded in the summer? We have what's called Silver Lake and it gets VERY crowded. I like a lot more 'elbow' room, so I won't even go there in the summer.

When it comes to the schools, what is 'open enrollment' and NL-S? I've never heard of that when it comes to schools... Right now I work at a health insurance company and that's the only place where I've heard of open enrollment. But working where I do, I have a lot of data entry experience. Not sure if that'll help me out there though...

I used to go to clubs all the time when I was young twenties, but not anymore. I don't mind about the bars either since I'm not much of a drinker... I am so much more of a country girl though. I hate where I'm living. I mean it's nice cause I know where places are and all that. But here I feel unsafe even going for just a walk. My neighborhood is a nice area, but I never feel safe. My little one and I went through something major this year and I'd just like to move somewhere new to where it's safe, schools are good and where people are nice. I've heard of people not being able to make friends in MN. But I don't have any here. Just a lot of aquaintenses. Some family but that's a different story... I miss the friends that I have out there

O and I've seen some vids that some people posted on YouTube and they were vids of tornadoes. Looks scary and I don't know how the people could just stand outside. I'd be the first to get to a basement. Hahaha. But do you get them often in MN?

O and I would love to live where there is less people. I live right on the border of another city and that one has over 101,000 people. And that's not even Seattle! So I would prefer less rude people and traffic and just want a slower pace..lol. A lot of people here are 'get out of my way' people and like to give you the 'bird' a lot. Some nice people too, but it never goes farther than that. A smile here and a conversation there. That's it.

Last edited by SweetRay; 12-24-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph :)

Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Thanks for the response! Congrats to having a new mayor. Maybe this one will do more things to make it better there.

There are a few places that you mentioned that I've never heard of like the fast food places and Millpond Mercantile. What kind of store is Millpond Mercantile?

So when it comes to the lakes, we have only a couple in my area. Do your lakes get crowded in the summer? We have what's called Silver Lake and it gets VERY crowded. I like a lot more 'elbow' room, so I won't even go there in the summer.

When it comes to the schools, what is 'open enrollment' and NL-S? I've never heard of that when it comes to schools... Right now I work at a health insurance company and that's the only place where I've heard of open enrollment. But working where I do, I have a lot of data entry experience. Not sure if that'll help me out there though...

I used to go to clubs all the time when I was young twenties, but not anymore. I don't mind about the bars either since I'm not much of a drinker... I am so much more of a country girl though. I hate where I'm living. I mean it's nice cause I know where places are and all that. But here I feel unsafe even going for just a walk. My neighborhood is a nice area, but I never feel safe. My little one and I went through something major this year and I'd just like to move somewhere new to where it's safe, schools are good and where people are nice. I've heard of people not being able to make friends in MN. But I don't have any here. Just a lot of aquaintenses. Some family but that's a different story... I miss the friends that I have out there

O and I've seen some vids that some people posted on YouTube and they were vids of tornadoes. Looks scary and I don't know how the people could just stand outside. I'd be the first to get to a basement. Hahaha. But do you get them often in MN?

O and I would love to live where there is less people. I live right on the border of another city and that one has over 101,000 people. And that's not even Seattle! So I would prefer less rude people and traffic and just want a slower pace..lol. A lot of people here are 'get out of my way' people and like to give you the 'bird' a lot. Some nice people too, but it never goes farther than that. A smile here and a conversation there. That's it.
We have a bunch of lakes in Kandiyohi County. It's motto is "Where the Lakes Begin." We are surrounded by small farming communities, and then when you get to the Willmar area, the population starts to pick up--we have so many lakes that none are really crowded, but all are busy. We have lots to choose from. A great swimming area for your child would be Green Lake in Spicer, a short drive on Hwy 23. It's a really nice beach area.
Like I said, we have around 20,000 people here. If you travel to St. Cloud about 40 min. away, you will find a much larger population and even more to do. The Twin Cities area is about 2 hrs away. Most schools in MN are really good, especially out here. Open enrollment means that you can live in Willmar, but you can send your kid to another town to a different school if you prefer. I knew some kids from Litchfield that went to my school, New London-Spicer HS. I knew some kids from NL-S that went to Willmar. It's up to you. They also have a smaller private school here that you could check out.
You're definitely not in a city out here. Ten minute drive and you're out in the country among cornfields and such. It's a good area to raise a kid. I wouldn't let the tornadoes get to you. I've been here 29 years, and never actually seen one. You might spend some time in a basement now in then just in case, but Minnesota is a great place, I wouldn't let it worry you.
As for making friends, it sounds like you already have some in the area. Minnesotans are more reserved at first. A lot of people seem to expect an invitation over to a person's house the minute they meet, which probably won't happen. It takes a little longer here, I guess.
You're data entry experience could be pretty helpful around here. I would check out the West Central Tribune, MN Works, (our zip is 56201), google Kandiyohi County in the images section, and you will get an idea of the lakes around the area. If you get a chance go to this Minnesota thread and check out pictures. I have some pics from Norway Lake on there, which is a lake about ten minutes away from here.
Millpond Mercantile is just a cute little store in New London, a small, artsy type town. They have a lot of really cool stuff there.

Anyway, if you have more questions, let me know. You can always DM me too. Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,828 times
My family is also planning on moving to Wilmar; it is where my dad's sister lives. We currently live in California. Out here, it is not safe for young women to walk after dark. My friends are worried that I will not like it due to not being able to make many friends, due to my shyness. Are there places where I can go or join to do just that?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeMJane View Post
My family is also planning on moving to Wilmar; it is where my dad's sister lives. We currently live in California. Out here, it is not safe for young women to walk after dark. My friends are worried that I will not like it due to not being able to make many friends, due to my shyness. Are there places where I can go or join to do just that?
Willmar is perfectly safe, small city population about 19,000.
Church is always a great place to meet people.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM

145 posts, read 324,506 times
Worth noting is that it's somewhat of a pain to get from Willmar to the Twin Cities, it's a two-lane road with small towns every couple of miles.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,828 times
Finally got the word. We will be moving next month. I'll be spending my birthday out there.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
I lived in Willmar and moved to the cities for employment reasons. I would recommend moving to the southeast or northeast part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota