U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM

199 posts, read 750,744 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to the St. Cloud area and would like some feedback from people currently homeschooling. The regulations are more strict than in CA, where we are now. Are there problems or issues with school districts or anything specific with the St. Cloud area? Are the local support groups active?

Thanks in Advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 100,782 times
Why would you ever wanna home school your kids? Are there any benefits?

Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Yes, there are many benefits, but that's not the question I asked. You could ask this general education question in the Education or Parenting forum.

I already homeschool and have done so for all my children since the beginning and I have 2 in college now. Right now I prefer low regulations in homeschooling and want to know how that works in MN from an experienced homeschooler.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM

183 posts, read 768,732 times
I didn't really think about it until I read your post, but I hardly know of anyone in MN who homeschools. I can think of 1 family, and it is a distant acquantance of my wife... couldn't tell you their name or where they live.

I think you'll find that Minnesota is a very pro-public school and pro-community education state. I'm guessing there won't be as much support for homeschool. But I could be wrong.

Ironically, most of the people I know who homeschool live in California! And they are good friends and their kids are great kids.

One nice thing about St. Cloud - there are 3 Universities nearby, St. Cloud State, St. Johns, and St. Bens. Not sure how homeschooling works, but if a taste of college classes can eventually become part of the curriculum, you'll have plenty to choose from.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM

I think you'd be surprised at how many families are homeschooling. It's just tough to know it when you see it if you aren't doing it yourself. I know that MN is very pro-public school, but I've done some research and know that there are homeschooling associations and support groups all around the state.

I think there are more homeschoolers in CA and they are more noticeable because of how crappy the school systems are out here in general (I know some are good).

I guess homeschoolers in MN don't frequent the C-D forum.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 AM

448 posts, read 668,568 times
I don't home school myself, but have several friends here in Alexandria (60 miles west of St Cloud ) who do. There is a very active homeschool association in this area, and I know they have state wide conferences and coop activities etc.. When the rest of the world wakes up I will try to get some contacts for you. I am sure there is a group in St Cloud. As far as regulations go, I do remember my friend telling me that they are not specifically regulated on curriculum, but are required to do the same standardized testing as the public school students. I think it is more for statistics than anything else, but I am not sure.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM

28 posts, read 76,928 times
Smile homeschooling

Yes, there are many active homeschool groups in Minnesota. There is an active Yahoo group for MN homeschoolers and they actively share information. MN has a yearly conference in the fall for HS families-(christian and non-christian families). Minneapolis has learning co-ops for families of young children through high school. You can email me privately and I will forward the links to you. Our experience, which was short-lived was very positive with our schoold district and I would suggest that you contact the school district office to obtain the paperwork. MN even has an education expense reimbursement for HS expenses. I am sure that all is not roses in the world of MN homeschooling and some parents have been audited, but the parents are very passionate and seemingly well-connected.
Good luck with you move and journey.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been at Yahoo and seen the groups. I just haven't joined them because I'm not there yet and didn't want to seem like a troll. But if we wind up in St. Cloud, it sounds like we'll have plenty of resources.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM

28 posts, read 76,928 times
Default homeschooling

I think you will find what you are looking for and at least in the metro areas, St. Cloud included, you will find support for homeschooling.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:48 PM

35 posts, read 119,050 times
The Minnesota Department of Education has info about Homeschooling on their website. You can also try calling your local school district for more information. I know that, in Saint Paul, you need to register your child as being homeschooled with your local school district. You also turn in results of standardized tests that homeschooled students are required to take. In Minnesota, homeschooled students can still participate in Post Secondary Enrollment Options, a program that lets high school Juniors and Seniors get dual college & high school credit by attending college tuition free. I'm not sure if this is true in all districts but your kids can often participate on sports and other extra-curricular (debate, speech, etc) teams with the school district.

Here is the MDE web site's page for Homeschooling: </title> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/mdeprod/groups/webassets/documents/web_asset/css_subpage.css" /> <link rel="stylesheet" href="groups/webassets/documents/web_asset/css_academicexcellence_banner.css" /> <style type="text/css"> #shadow_1:before {
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota