Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Yes, the models are now switching more toward rain, with temps near 40, so what ever snow does fall will probably melt on contact, at least on the streets etc.
I was kidding. I don't remember anytime in MN that there was a serious snowfall past April 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I was kidding. I don't remember anytime in MN that there was a serious snowfall past April 15.
Unfortunately, I do remember snow past April 15. When I was in high school we got about 10" of snow the first week of May, it was gone the next day though, prom was the following weekend and we had leaves on the trees, flowers blooming outside, etc. One year when we lived in Sioux Falls we had 90 degree temps over the weekend and on April 27th (a Thursday) we got a foot of snow. It was all melted by noon on Friday though.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Unfortunately, I do remember snow past April 15. When I was in high school we got about 10" of snow the first week of May, it was gone the next day though, prom was the following weekend and we had leaves on the trees, flowers blooming outside, etc. One year when we lived in Sioux Falls we had 90 degree temps over the weekend and on April 27th (a Thursday) we got a foot of snow. It was all melted by noon on Friday though.
What year was that?!? I could totally see it happening, but I have no memory of snow at the end of April...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
The Sioux Falls area gets some crazy weather, that's for sure.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
What year was that?!? I could totally see it happening, but I have no memory of snow at the end of April...
Geeze, when I was living in Duluth last year we got a foot of snow on May 7th. That was weird seeing trees with leaves have snow on em

Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Geeze, when I was living in Duluth last year we got a foot of snow on May 7th. That was weird seeing trees with leaves have snow on em
I thought it was a nice spring day outside and you were getting sunburnt in mid-March. You got snow up there 2 months later?

Duluth has some crazy weather. I remember I left Minneapolis and it was 90/humid and hot. By the time I got up to Duluth, I needed a winter coat and gloves... and it was September!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
I thought it was a nice spring day outside and you were getting sunburnt in mid-March. You got snow up there 2 months later?

Duluth has some crazy weather. I remember I left Minneapolis and it was 90/humid and hot. By the time I got up to Duluth, I needed a winter coat and gloves... and it was September!
Yeah it was really weird. I make this collage thing with photos from each month last year, and the one for March had me on the beach, shirt off and all and then the one for May had snow piles! It's quite weird.

One day in April last year it was snowing and freezing down by the lake and later that day on the hill it was 65 humid and sunny. It's a vey weird feeling.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
It's looking pretty icky out there today. Calling for flurries this morning and rain/snow mix tonight. Ish.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM

333 posts, read 704,702 times
47, overcast and winds @ 25mph gusting to 40.

Truly, this is god's country.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Gotta question: Do people in Minnesota ***** and complain about the weather a lot? I'm not trying to judge the weather in Minnesota; I'm just asking if complaining about the weather there has become a hobby or a sport like it has in other parts of the country.
The whining here about the weather is constant. It is seemingly either too cold, too hot, too hunid, too dry, too windy...It's like if it is not 69.5 degrees and partly cloudy with a very slight breeze, that it is hard on people. I heard many complaints that the new Twins stadium would not have a roof. People would rather go to the climate controlled Dome, which imo is the ABSOLUTE WORST stadium to go to any event in. It shouldn't even be allowed to play baseball indoors.

I personally like weather extremes. I am going open water fishing tomorrow morning. There is going to be a stout NW wind, an air temp of 31 and good chance of snow flurries. I would not be surprised if we are the only boat out on the lake.

It is funny how people in all kinds of states talk about how 'crazy' there weather is. I lived in Spearfish, SD for 3 years and even I would say the weather there is pretty wild:

Spearfish holds the world record for the fastest temperature change. On January 22, 1943 at about 7:30 a.m. MST, the temperature in Spearfish was -4° degrees F. The chinook wind picked up speed rapidly, and two minutes later (7:32 a.m.) the temperature was +45°F above zero. The 49-degree rise in two minutes set a world record that still holds. By 9:00 a.m., the temperature had risen to 54°F. Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to -4°F The 58-degree drop took only 27 minutes.

One time it snowed 5-6ft. in one snowstorm down the road in Deadwood/Lead. Another time Deadwood/Lead got a foot of hail. They actually got the snowplows out to remove it from the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota