U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,316,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Growing up in Kentucky....our house had single unit window A/C units....one for each of the two bedrooms and one larger one for the kitchen/dining. Boy I had mine on in my room so much it would ice over Love sleeping with those blankets in any time of weather.

Being in the weather field all my life, it is great to see how different people feel in different weather conditions. Why it is often hard for me to answer people on the North Dakota forum about how cold the winter's are. It so depends on what you perceive as cold. Some have very low thresholds some higher.

Back to weather...I do hope the farmers in southern Minnesota get some more rain for their crops. Up here in the valley crops so far are way way ahead of schedule growth wise and generally ok, though showing some signs of stress due to dry weather. But so far so good....harvest will likely be a record early one....
Well, at least up in Grand Forks you are spared to worst of the worst of this summers heat. It seems like once you get south of Fargo and St. Cloud, the heat last week was really blazing. I have to admit, this latest heat wave was getting to me and I did have my AC running most of the day with the heat index being 110 and all. Maybe I should vacation up in Manitoba the rest of the summer
And yes, good point. The crops are much ahead of schedule here as well. The freakin corn was tasseling before the 4th of July! Forget about knee high by the 4th of July, this is ahead of even warm Missouri summers. Bizarre.
The crops still look plenty good and green, but yes, we could use a shot of rain. My family crops in Missouri are hurting pretty bad though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM

23,205 posts, read 24,196,841 times
Growing up we didn't have any real AC, we were so poor that we would sit all together in the living room and wave popsicles around for air conditioning.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 PM

4,817 posts, read 9,879,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Well, at least up in Grand Forks you are spared to worst of the worst of this summers heat. It seems like once you get south of Fargo and St. Cloud, the heat last week was really blazing. I have to admit, this latest heat wave was getting to me and I did have my AC running most of the day with the heat index being 110 and all. Maybe I should vacation up in Manitoba the rest of the summer
And yes, good point. The crops are much ahead of schedule here as well. The freakin corn was tasseling before the 4th of July! Forget about knee high by the 4th of July, this is ahead of even warm Missouri summers. Bizarre.
The crops still look plenty good and green, but yes, we could use a shot of rain. My family crops in Missouri are hurting pretty bad though.
It sure was bad down your way.... we have a close family friend whose parents live in Fairmont and brother's family in Pipestone. She was down there over the 4th and it was so hot and humid it took your breath away she said. A co-worker said he even saw corn tasseling around Fargo too very recently, which is crazy. Corn planting has really increased up our way in the last 5 years. Mainly due to varieties which are less adverse to cooler weather and grow quicker than they used too.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
It sure was bad down your way.... we have a close family friend whose parents live in Fairmont and brother's family in Pipestone. She was down there over the 4th and it was so hot and humid it took your breath away she said. A co-worker said he even saw corn tasseling around Fargo too very recently, which is crazy. Corn planting has really increased up our way in the last 5 years. Mainly due to varieties which are less adverse to cooler weather and grow quicker than they used too.
The corn here looks ready to pick it so tall already. It's tasseling already. I have ripe tomatoes too-about a month earlier than I normally get them.

I swear my contacts were fogging up the other day it was so humid

Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM

It's 100 Degrees! .... Again!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,142,095 times
3" of rain at our house so far today and pouring still. We need the rain but if it rained an inch/week every week, that would be better .

Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,223,657 times
One of the major risks of climate change is more extreme drought/flood cycles. That is, the prediction is that we'll get a greater share of our precipitation in the form of flooding rains rather than more regular, beneficial rain.

Luckily things haven't been too bad in the Twin Cities proper (as far as drought). Hopefully most of the rain does get absorbed.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Not a drop of rain here

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM

23,205 posts, read 24,196,841 times
Up to a week ago, Minnesota has been relatively untouched by the severe drought occuring throughout the rest of the US with what appears to be less than 5 or 10% in the severe category.

Regional Drought Monitor: Midwest

Of the entire Western & Central US, it appears that 25% of the areas not affected by low rain conditions are in Easten Minnesota/Northern Wisconsin.

US Drought Monitor

Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM

95 posts, read 250,905 times
Are the summers in the Twin Cities generally pleasant and less humid than Knoxville's due to its northern location?

I went to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. The summers there are mild and not so humid due to its location by the Smoky Mountains compared to most of the South.

Are mosquitos really bad in the Twin Cities during summers? Does the city spray them regularly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota