Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,013,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Mourino View Post
Can someone update us on the fall colors for this year, 2012?
Thanks,
Angelo
Once it starts, you can track them here:

Fall color reports: Minnesota DNR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
If it stays this dry, expect and early change. Sumac on 35 south by Owatonna/Albert Lea changed already, there are a few trees changing here already, which is very early.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,671,908 times
People are saying that it's a dry year, but it doesn't seem to be so. This year has been hot in Minneapolis but not dry. I would have inclined to guess that just based on how nice my lawn is this year, but I was surprised at how wet this year has been compared to the long term average and record year. So far, we're wetter than the wettest year on recod. Maybe our perceptions have been skewed by the intense heat.

http://www.climatestations.com/image...is/msp1212.gif

Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM

It's not about an overall total, it's about going a month and a half without any real precipitation. The farther south you go, the less moisture there has been. We did get some nice rain last week but that was all in July basically. SW MN hasn't had any rain all summer. The rain we had in May isn't helping much now.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's not about an overall total, it's about going a month and a half without any real precipitation. The farther south you go, the less moisture there has been. We did get some nice rain last week but that was all in July basically. SW MN hasn't had any rain all summer. The rain we had in May isn't helping much now.
The data (from the University of Minnesota) show that in Minneapolis-St. Paul, we had about 4" of rain in July, going from about 20" to over 24" total precipitation with nearly 2" coming on one day! (See fourth chart on this page)

http://www.climatestations.com/image...is/msp2012.gif

As to location, I am responding to this comment, and others which subsequently took a similar view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Because of a hot spell and lack of rain, the leaves are falling an turning in Minneapolis already this year. Such conditions don't speak well for full autumn colors. So this year, expect dull fall colors, mainly grey and orange.
Note that the comment refers specifically to Minneapolis, and that is where the data come from. It is not a discussion about SW Minnesota.

In general, I was simply remarking that our perceptions are different than the reality, and wondering if that might be because of the extreme heat. It is not necessary to turn every comment into an argument.

http://www.climatestations.com/image...is/msp1212.gif

Minneapolis-St. Paul Yearly Temperature, Precipitation, and Snowfall Graphs

Last edited by Glenfield; 08-01-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM

Drought Conditions

Those 4" fell mostly last week, meaning no significant rain for about a month and a half, like I said earlier and it is worse to the south and west. If you don't want the arguments, then stop starting them. You seem to go out of your way to contradict everything I say, and once again, you are wrong.

Last edited by golfgal; 08-02-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,258,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
I am trying to pinpoint as close as possible when the leaves change colors around the Minneapolis area. Anyone know?
Nope..don't know about Minneapolis but am thinking that perhaps September? You could base it probably on when it starts to turn chilly for fall in that area. I am in Conn. and have lived in Maine. In Conn, they start usually in September same in Maine for the most part. Leaf color is also based on what type of trees are in the area you are interested in. In Maine, there are a lot of softwood trees like fir, spruce, pine, cedar..some hardwood like maple, poplar, oak, birch. I think the colors in Maine are gorgeous, lots of dark greens mixed in with the reds, golds, yellows. In Conn., mostly hardwood so the color literally explodes throughout the country..very vibrant.
Check out the chamber of commerce website for Minneapolis and see if they have anything on there as to timeline for fall.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Drought Conditions

Those 4" fell mostly last week, meaning no significant rain for about a month and a half, like I said earlier and it is worse to the south and west. If you don't want the arguments, then stop starting them. You seem to go out of your way to contradict everything I say, and once again, you are wrong.
My initial comment was not directed at you. As I pointed out, I was responding to a specific post by Jim Stokes about Minneapolis-- not south nor west --- and others that seemed be in the same vein. I didn't notice whether or not any of them had your name on them. I only responded directly to a post of yours when you contradicted me without any substantiation, despite my offering up what I thought was some data from a very interesting website. If you want to hold onto opinions that are demonstrably false, that's your business, but don't expect to pass them off as fact without getting called on your error.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
My initial comment was not directed at you. As I pointed out, I was responding to a specific post by Jim Stokes about Minneapolis-- not south nor west --- and others that seemed be in the same vein. I didn't notice whether or not any of them had your name on them. I only responded directly to a post of yours when you contradicted me without any substantiation, despite my offering up what I thought was some data from a very interesting website. If you want to hold onto opinions that are demonstrably false, that's your business, but don't expect to pass them off as fact without getting called on your error.
Again, that rain came at the END of JULY--give it a rest already. We have not had any significant rain until that rainfall LAST WEEK, which I clearly said June and MOST of July--equaling a month an a half with no rain. Every new outlet was calling that the billion dollar rain because if we had not gotten that rain, crops would have died. Since there are no real farm in Minneapolis proper, you wouldn't know this but drive 20 minutes out of the city and see how dry it is. Yes, we had a LOT of rain in the spring but crops need regular rain fall to grow and prosper and while it was a nice, wet spring, that doesn't help anyone July 15th after a month with no rain.

The lack of moisture this time of year will set trees into an early color change and dormancy to protect the trees. If you drive around the metro you will see evidence of this pretty much everywhere. It's worst an hour outside of the metro in pretty much every direction.

Considering I was the one to first bring up how dry it is, your comment was very much directed at me and given that you quoted me directly, it's hard not to assume you were talking to me.

Again, OP, if we continue to be this dry, leaves will start to change earlier than normal. Typically the first couple weeks of October are peak in the metro area, give or take, but again, if we don't see significant rainfall soon, that peak may come in a few weeks.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Again, that rain came at the END of JULY--give it a rest already. We have not had any significant rain until that rainfall LAST WEEK...
I am afraid that the data contradict you. According to National Weather Service data, there were five days in July when we had more than one-half inch of rain in Minneapolis, and a total of 4.9 inches during the month.

7/6 0.54"
7/13 1.00"
7/18 0.83"
7/24 1.69"
7/29 0.51"

National Weather Service - Climate Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota