Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,515,380 times

Advertisements

I will be going on vacation and staying close to Lake Winnibigoshish. It is mainly a fishing trip but thinking of venturing out one day for a break.

With older teens what are recommendations of something to do? Want to leave the lake at a decent time in the morn and be back after dinner that night.

Not Itasca, not Fort Francis, not Bemidji, not the Paul Bunyon park in Brainerd... have done those things when they were little. Looking for something else this year.

Thanks for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
I am not exactly sure where Winnibigoshish is--near Itasca right? You have pretty much hit the highlights in that area. Duluth might be an option depending on how far you want to drive. I think it is about 2-3 hour drive from Bemidji. Do you have passports? Maybe a day trip to Winnipeg?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 PM

106 posts, read 569,538 times
Winnie is between Grand Rapids and Cass Lake.

If it were me, I'd do a day-drive to either Ely or Lake Vermillion. Gods country.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx99 View Post
If it were me, I'd do a day-drive to either Ely or Lake Vermillion. Gods country.

Great thoughts. I'll check those out. I went to Ely when I was a kid for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, but didn't see much beyond water/trees. Never been to Lake Vermillion.

Thanks for the ideas - I'll be looking into them

Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

106 posts, read 569,538 times
Voyageurs National Park is the totally underrated neighbor to the BWCA. The best part is you don't need a permit to get in to the park, unlike BWCA. On a map, it looks to be about 80 miles as a crow flies from Grand Rapids to Voyageurs, but I'm guessing about 2 or 2 1/2 hours driving.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM

Well, just in case anyone else runs across this thread I thought I would bring it to a close.

We found two great things and ended up being just what we were looking for. I do appreciate the other suggestions but we wanted something different than just a state park area (since that's the enviornment we have the rest of the trip). This is a change from that mid-week.

We traveled east to Hibbing and Chisholm. In Hibbing, I forget the name, but a natural history site with a travel back in time to a logging camp. Learned a lot about logging and that life style that we would have never thought about. In Chisholm we visited an open iron mine site that had a museum and a research center.

A great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota