U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,972,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
Somebody finally figured that out. The exit ramps are especially interesting to take at the posted speed in November after a nice freezing shower. Roll overs galore everytime simply because everybody has to get "there" in a hurry. It really helps them towards their goal.

I understand being cautious, but I find people here in South Dakota go absurdly fast during heavy rain and absurdly slow when there's a bit of snow on the interstate. I'm always passing everyone in the winter after a snow because they feel they have to be on the interstate going 40-45 even though there's 2 clear snow free tire treads visible in both lanes and the snow was dry and fluffy. These same people have no problem going 80-85 when it's pouring. Laws of physics on straight flat roads.. just don't make any sudden moves and do anything stupid...

Meanwhile driving through town today, an abundance of 'laa dee daa' types going 25-30 in a 35. One person from Illinois in town, going about 38, a breath of fresh air, the standard speed.. around 5 above which is what Illinois and Wisconsin people do (at least) What goes through people's heads when they put around like old grannies through towns in their monster trucks? That wastes gas too you know.

To me reducing MPG from 35 to 32 in exchange for going 75 instead of 65 is well worth it on a long trip. People already pay more for that at the pump.. it's their choice.

Nobody should be using cell phones or texting while driving. (unless hands free with a headset) They should have their eyes on the road and their hands on the steering wheel, going 5 above the posted speed limit and not puttering around like a grannie. They should also be writing their representatives asking that the speed limits on all country roads be raised to 60, and all state highways, up to 65, in rural areas.

Last edited by stockwiz; 07-09-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,659,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I understand being cautious, but I find people here in South Dakota go absurdly fast during heavy rain and absurdly slow when there's a bit of snow on the interstate. I'm always passing everyone in the winter after a snow because they feel they have to be on the interstate going 40-45 even though there's 2 clear snow free tire treads visible in both lanes and the snow was dry and fluffy. These same people have no problem going 80-85 when it's pouring. Laws of physics on straight flat roads.. just don't make any sudden moves and do anything stupid...
Snow isn't the issue on most rural interstates (or roads in general) ... it's ice that's the main problem, especially ice with a thin layer of powder on top of it.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,972,092 times
well after driving around Minneapolis I must say that people there drive much faster then the rural areas of the state. Not saying they drive properly, lots of left laners driving the speed limit to 5 over and refusing to budge, and the strange phenomenon of having some roads have very fast drivers going 15 over while others people are just going the speed limit to 5 over, but still not that bad. In eastern WI, they simply go way above the limit on all the roads.

The most irritating thing was the slow moving long trains that I came across. I suppose regulars learn to avoid the trains entirely in time. I didn't go right into the city, just the surrounding area, but the areas I travelled seem to have a good road system with good traffic flow. The drive right along the Mississippi is beautiful going from the cities to La Crosse. (I was visiting valley fair for the first time, pretty nice place.. attempts to be both a waterpark and roller coaster park and does a good job though doesn't compare to a dedicated six flags or noah's ark, but a nice place nonetheless and not busy at all when I was there, no lines at all for power tower, steel venom, wild thing)

best ride in that park.... steel venom.

Last edited by stockwiz; 09-02-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,119,221 times
well after driving around Minneapolis I must say that people there drive much faster then the rural areas of the state. Not saying they drive properly, lots of left laners driving the speed limit to 5 over and refusing to budge, and the strange phenomenon of having some roads have very fast drivers going 15 over while others people are just going the speed limit to 5 over, but still not that bad. In eastern WI, they simply go way above the limit on all the roads.

Sounds like the speed limits are underposted and not based on 85th percentile vehicle speed measurements. Why is it states will not raise speed limits ?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM

1,635 posts, read 949,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
...lots of left laners driving the speed limit to 5 over and refusing to budge..
The "slow vehicles right lane" rule was adopted in MN only a couple years ago, and many drivers never heard about its adoption.
Quote:
In eastern WI, they simply go way above the limit on all the roads.
Not too many years ago, western WI was notorious for its speed traps on national and state highways. 15 over would get you a $100 ticket.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
The "slow vehicles right lane" rule was adopted in MN only a couple years ago, and many drivers never heard about its adoption.
Not too many years ago, western WI was notorious for its speed traps on national and state highways. 15 over would get you a $100 ticket.

Are the police ticketing drivers for impeding traffic in the left lane?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:17 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,916,520 times
Quote:
Slow vehicles to the right has been a rule since I started driving way back when??

Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM

1,635 posts, read 949,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Slow vehicles to the right has been a rule since I started driving way back when??
Back then I believe it was merely considered good manners. There was a law passed through the Legislature around 2009, I believe, that mandated the slow/right rule.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Back then I believe it was merely considered good manners. There was a law passed through the Legislature around 2009, I believe, that mandated the slow/right rule.

So, have the police cracked down on left lane bandits?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,916,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
So, have the police cracked down on left lane bandits?
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota