Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,007 times

Advertisements

I got a new passport last November. It was so much easier than I remembered from long ago! I went to a local small town post office, they took my picture right there, and it took only TWO WEEKS!!!! to get the passport. It was so easy there's no reason not to get one.

To get into Canada from MN you don't have to get the full passport book - you can get a passport card, which is cheaper and fits into your wallet. "The wallet-sized passport card was designed for the needs of residents in border communities. The card is valid for land and sea crossings between the US and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, and has the same lifespan as passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for youth 15 and younger" http://www.usps.com/passport/

Also, soon you'll be able to get a MN Driver's license which has passport info encoded (an EDL - enhanced Driver's licence.) Don't know when that will happen, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin69 View Post
If so, why?
FISHING. While fishing in MN is good, it is awesome when you go over the border into Ontario.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Once again - do I need a passport to cross the border to Canada nowadays?
Only if you want to come back. Seriously, you don't need one to get in, but you need one to get back into the U.S.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
I got a new passport last November. It was so much easier than I remembered from long ago! I went to a local small town post office, they took my picture right there, and it took only TWO WEEKS!!!! to get the passport. It was so easy there's no reason not to get one.

To get into Canada from MN you don't have to get the full passport book - you can get a passport card, which is cheaper and fits into your wallet. "The wallet-sized passport card was designed for the needs of residents in border communities. The card is valid for land and sea crossings between the US and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, and has the same lifespan as passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for youth 15 and younger" http://www.usps.com/passport/

Also, soon you'll be able to get a MN Driver's license which has passport info encoded (an EDL - enhanced Driver's licence.) Don't know when that will happen, though.
One thing to note, the passport card only works if you are driving in and out of Canada (or Mexico). If you fly you can't use the passport card, you need the full passport.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Default What are some cool towns to visit in Canada?

What are some cool towns to visit?

I've been to Winnipeg, MB and Thunder Bay, OT.
Both are pretty run-of-the-mill. Nothing too exciting or pretty. Any suggestions for someone from MN to see in Canada?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Both are pretty run-of-the-mill. Nothing too exciting or pretty. Any suggestions for someone from MN to see in Canada?
drive around Lake Superior, you could poke along and do it in three days (2 nights) or combine it with a visit to the UP or Door County and take a week. Really cool Nat'l Park up on the NE side of the lake and a neat town called Wawa along the East side a few hours north of the Soo.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 22,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin69 View Post
If so, why?
Because there isn't all that much there unless you want to canoe or fish. It makes no sense to shop there because everything is more expensive.

Winnipeg is sort of interesting I guess but it is a long and really boring drive.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

If you can make it up there, Churchill, Manitoba is a cool town. It's in the arctic, up near the Nunavut border on Hudson Bay. It's the "Polar Bear Capital of Canada." Polar bears everywhere. You can't drive there (no roads), but you can take a train from Winnipeg.

If you're from Northwest Minnesota, Lake Winnipeg is a really big lake closer than Lake Superior. It's almost the size of a Great Lake.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM

333 posts, read 704,480 times
Never set foot in Canada and it's very low on my list of destinations. I don't really see the point in crossing from an area with lots of lakes and pine trees and nothing to spend time in another place full of lakes and pine trees and nothing.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
OTOH, if you're willing to travel about 1000 miles east, you'll be in Quebec, which is like going to Europe, but cheaper and friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota