Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
Yeah but it's not like going to Mexico from San Diego or anything. It's not convenient at all to drive up to Canada from Minnesota.
You can see Canada from Minnesota. Kittson County residents go to Winnipeg all the time. Grand Portage is a few minutes from Thunder Bay. There is so much more to the state than the Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 AM

92 posts, read 249,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Unfortunately it's next to impossible for Americans to move to Canada, unless you are a neurosurgeon, astrophysicist, etc. - you have to have so much education and credentials, so much money, it's very hard. It makes no sense to me because their economy is such that they need people there who can care for an aging population (physical therapists, vocational nurses, recreation assistants, fitness trainers, etc). If it were easier to move to Canada without the requirements of having hundreds of thousands of dollars, or post-doctorate levels of education, I'd be there now.

The only thing is, Minnesota isn't anywhere near a Canadian city where anything happens. Fort Frances, Ontario is the closest city to Duluth and Minneapolis. It's at the very end of Highway 53, across from International Falls, and there's 9000 people there. Not much happens. Otherwise, traveling up Highway 61 about 4 hours from Duluth is Thunder Bay, but it's basically the same thing as Duluth. A few hours north of Grand Forks, North Dakota is Winnipeg, a city of about 650,000. Unfortunately, the city has a reputation similar to Detroit, high unemployment, crime, the largest number of youth street gangs in the country...it's not seen as a great place to visit like Vancouver and Toronto.
You know what, you just brought up the main point that i forgot to mention.

There are no close Canadian cities you can drive to from Minnesota. Winnepeg, the closest major city is like 15 hours away.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You can see Canada from Minnesota. Kittson County residents go to Winnipeg all the time. Grand Portage is a few minutes from Thunder Bay. There is so much more to the state than the Cities.
Oh dont get me wrong, i love minnesota. the whole god damned thing. havent had a chance to make it up to international falls or grand portage. I really really want to though! gas is so expensive.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM

378 posts, read 707,239 times
Quote:
There are no close Canadian cities you can drive to from Minnesota. Winnepeg, the closest major city is like 15 hours away.
Winnipeg is about 8 hrs from Minneapolis or 3 hrs from EGF. 15 hrs would take you to Regina from MSP.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Still, not convenient. Also I think your figures are wrong because I know it takes me 8 hours to get to northern North Dakota.

I believe Toronto is close to some American cities so why don't you ask them?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM

127 posts, read 337,316 times
A friend and myself were in Winnipeg in under 9 hours. Thats w/ stopping in Fargo to pick him up.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You can canoe into Canada many different areas/routes
Many hiking trails you can easily see into Canada
Even driving the Gunflint Trail you can see Canada

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
A friend and myself were in Winnipeg in under 9 hours. Thats w/ stopping in Fargo to pick him up.
Yeah I spose.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM

87 posts, read 192,537 times
Quote:
Do people in Minnesota cross the Canada boarder? NO. From Minneapolis, Canada is a good 12 hours away. I have heard of many Minnesotans going fishing or camping in Canada, like going on a trip. But it's not like people in Minnesota run up to Canada to buy some **** **** lol

Minneapolis is roughly 6 hours from Thunder Bay Ontario. Probably 5 hours from the US/CAN border. Duluth is like 3-4 hours from the border....12 hours????? Where are you driving to?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
Minneapolis is roughly 6 hours from Thunder Bay Ontario. Probably 5 hours from the US/CAN border. Duluth is like 3-4 hours from the border....12 hours????? Where are you driving to?
Kakabeka Falls is worth seeing ... not too far west of Thunder Bay on the Trans Canada Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota