Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 35,958 times

Advertisements

To all: I've just seen this thread for the first time today. I've read, and then turned to skimming, through as much as I can of ALL the thoughtful responses! Nevertheless, I am going to pose the question anew, and see if I can get any info on the region of Benson/Madison/Dawson/Appleton/Odessa... Any knowledge of the climate toward interracial couples (Black/White)? My husband and I are professionals who love being away from the city, thinking of moving to the region. Thank you kindly.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,320,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeacon View Post
Oh my God, I'm a biracial professional man and this is EXACTLY what I go through on a daily basis!

It's even gotten to the point where I've had to file a discrimination case against the owner of the office building we rent from, as they've been trying to push us out for months now.

I know all whites are not like this - I'm from Vegas (and thankfully my wife now sees how bad things are here and has agreed to move back this fall) and color really does not matter there...at all.

I'm well spoken 30 something and far from looking like a gang banger, yet the way I'm stared at, you would think I was carrying a shotgun and ski mask.

And here's the kicker - They'll stare at me for minutes at a time, but when I smile and say "hello" they quickly look away and pretend like I don't exist. God forbid they fraternize with a coloured.

I know this is an odd request, but after 2.5 years in Minnesota, my wife and I have met nobody. We live in Eden Prairie and would love to get to know another couple, especially one of such a similar background. My email (at least one I'm comfortable giving on an open forum ) is xcelsius1@msn.com

Give us a holler, we're fun people!
I am also a bi-racial Minnesotan, and I have had the exact opposite experience.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 PM

98 posts, read 333,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeacon View Post
Eden Prairie currently, but I tend to frequent Bloomington for the good shopping, St. Louis Park (Microcenter and a really tasty restaurant nearby that my wife and I sometimes visit) and Minneapolis for the cultural events.

I do mobile computer repair as one of my job duties, so I tend to be all over the place each day for work purposes.

I just came back from Thanksgiving in Madison, WI and I was almost startled by how nice folks were there! I used to live in Madison (had to move, there's just no money there for technology professionals and Milwaukee is so far downhill that I don't even like to visit there too often) and just thought that's how people were supposed to be.

Vegas is about the same except people are a bit more intense (sometimes good, sometimes bad) but are usually even quicker to strike up a conversation.

Few weeks ago I was in Florida to put my mother's house in order after she passed and once more, people chatted, her neighbors hugged me and spent a good time just talking about my mother - Even her local Chamber of Commerce (she was a professional pianist) sent no less than five emails offering condolences and support. Even one of my customers in Florida sent me a greeting card offering condolences.

Then I came back to Minnesota and the first place I went to, someone let a door slam into my face (I thought he was holding it for me) and then walked away when I cried out in pain :/

I reckon everyone's experience is going to be different - I'm a nice guy and I do my best to look non-threatening; I dress neatly and I speak with proper grammar. Maybe it's just the culture, maybe it isn't a racist thing - it's just a very lonely place for an 'outsider'.

I reckon I'll be gone in January, back to Vegas and all, but I am sad that things didn't work out for me here. Part of the reason we moved from Vegas in the first place was because Vegas has no culture. A very tiny museum, a horridly tiny and filthy zoo, very few non-strip art exhibits, few non-strip plays (you will rarely find Shakespeare plays or good indie productions).

The twin cities on the other hand has two zoos that are only rivaled in size and beauty by the Milwaukee and the San Francisco zoo, an almost overwhelming amount of cultural exhibits, art museums, some VERY good restaurants (there's a Hibachi restaurant in Eden Prairie that I will miss for the rest of my life, as well as a couple of chinese buffets in Eden Prairie with VERY friendly asian proprietors) history and science museums, good shopping.....Aside from the cold weather and the bad experiences I've had with people, it really would be the perfect place!
I really do not think someone let a door slam in your face and ignore you as you cried out in pain. Maybe you have not made any friends in two years because you are a bit dramatic.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,930 times
Default Racism in Minnesota

The trueth of the matter is that MN is a very beautifull place to live in.Peoplearevery nice and acommodating in a way.It is different in a way from other large states like California where peopleseem tobe consumed on their dsily issues and high bills to pay such that they dont have time to smile to strangers.

Having said that, Mn has its dark side too. The employment industry is still favoring whites than any other racises,mainly blacks. Shops like Kohls and Rainbow hard has any blacks working there. They dont even cosider them. I have worked as a manager for places Super America,Walmart and other places, we are told to look out for blacks when they come at the shop because they are known to steal. The black job applicants are considered third after all races. Thats a fact.There arealot of black guys who come from places like Africa with very good qualifications that some of our managers dont even have, but they are rearly considered for high positions, most of them you will find them working at the old age homes now, where most of us Americans choose to work as nursing aids. I know this might sound funny but its a fact. I know three of them with bachelors and masters degrees from their countries who aredoing odd jobs trying tolive the American dream.

Otherwise no one has any problem with you when you are walking on the street. You might feel that racial sting whenyou ar black and start looking forajob,or start doing your shoping and start to see some ofus white folks asking you if we can help you. Mainly because we are worried that you might steal. Not that we really want to help you.

One of my black friends toldme that her daughter came from schoolcrying because a white kid at school told her that she got a ring warm from black kids,so she couldnot black with her because she was black. If parents can still teach that to their kids at this day and age,what do you call that?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,337,357 times
I think there is probably racism all over the state but I think anywhere in the state you will find accepting people and will make friends. I am white and grew up in NE MN. I think people are pretty friendly there. Now I am living in SE MN and there is a great deal of diversity here and I don't think racism is a huge issue here. I think the Iron Range would be best avoided though. They treat even white people who aren't from the Iron Range poorly. I also believe you will find rude people wherever you go no matter your color. People seem nicer about holding doors and saying thank you and stuff like that up north but down here I've had people practically push me and my children out of the way so they can get through the door I'm holding up for us. I've held plenty of doors open for people here and not even been acknowledged. So I'm sure some rudeness people experience has nothing to do with race but just that people in this day and age are becoming a lot ruder and manners and common courtesy are going out the door.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 PM

250 posts, read 989,214 times
I think it's easy for caucasians to say there isn't much racism here. I am caucasian so I won't attempt to know the answer. However, I work and live in the big city and I find most people to be accepting of things that are much more controversial than a bi-racial couple and or family. I hope you consider Minnesota for your family. It is a hard state to beat when it comes to the standard of living.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 AM

5 posts, read 20,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
I really do not think someone let a door slam in your face and ignore you as you cried out in pain. Maybe you have not made any friends in two years because you are a bit dramatic.
That *must* be it! At least you're wise enough not to jump to conclusions about strangers and 'Minnesota nice' enough not to throw insults at a friendly stranger

Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,320,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
I think it's easy for caucasians to say there isn't much racism here. I am caucasian so I won't attempt to know the answer. However, I work and live in the big city and I find most people to be accepting of things that are much more controversial than a bi-racial couple and or family. I hope you consider Minnesota for your family. It is a hard state to beat when it comes to the standard of living.
Finally some honesty. How can anybody tell somebody what should or should not offend them? Especially if you have never walked in their shoes. There is racism in every corner of the world. Some places are worse than others. But as a bi-racial Minnesotan, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,910,670 times
im 23, have lived in mn my whole life. biracial(white/black). lived in burnsville then moved to lakeville. i have light brown complexion and have always been one of, if not the only minority kid in my classes while growing up.

after saying that, i don't believe racism is a big issue here. i cant remember anytime in my life where i felt i was being discriminated against. all of my friends have been white, almost everyone i associated with is white.

i definently fit the profile of a typical more reserved minnesotan. just because i dont go out of my way to say hey or whats up and i look at you for a split second doesn't mean i have a problem with you.

i dont know, just my take. maybe since i've been saturated in this state my entire life i can't see what some of you are talking about.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydniesmommy View Post
My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? The state sounds so perfect for us besides the racism issue, so we'd hate to not be able to move there.

Thanks
there is not really that much racism in mn....if there is it is in the small more north towns or the "ghetto"....in a town like hopkins nobody would have any problam with a mixed race famiy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota