Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM

31 posts, read 104,248 times

Advertisements

We can't decide between EAgle Lake and mankato! We have two houses that we are looking at, same exact price:

WEst mankato- best location, but house has NO DISHWASHER, and one car garage. Also is from 1939. But the location is amazing! Right by red jacket trails.

Then the house in EAgle Lake, is from 1973, nice location, and 2 car garage, updated, etc.

We aren't sure which location will hold it's property value best! Eagle lake had a rep for being a dump- but it's not anymore. It's beautiful now.

What do you guys think is best? WE have two kids under 4.
Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 38,916 times
Cool You'll be fine either way

Both are nice areas.
A couple things to think about.

West Mankato:
You are probably further away from the "Mall area" then you would be in Eagle Lake. You'll be driving nearly the entire length of town vs. running down a few miles of HWY 14 at 70 MPH. You do have a Cub Foods, Kwik Trip and Hy-Vee fairly close however.

The location to the trail is very nice. If you're into the YMCA you are very close to that as well.

I lived on Woodland Ave for a time, quiet area, nice neighbors, not big extravagant homes but always well maintained and clean.

It sounds like the house is far enough away but I would be aware of the Harvest States-Honeymead plant. Personally, I would not want to live on the NW corner of West Mankato, you will catch a smell of processed soybeans on occasion.

Eagle Lake:
This area has grown such much I don't even recognize it from my younger days. You are correct, it is not a dump by any means.

The HWY 14 bypass has helped fuel some incredible growth. You will be commuting to Mankato for everything but it is easy with the freeway and only a couple miles. There is always old HWY 14 to use as a short cut to Lowes, Old Navy, etc.

The Sakatah trail is very nice and fairly close to the North side of Eagle Lake.

I think you'll probably get a little more "small town charm" in Eagle Lake but as Mankato neighborhoods go, West Mankato ranks right up there.

Finally:
Schools. I won't get into any sort of East vs. West debate but being in West Kato you wil be very close to Mankato West. Eagle Lake of course you'll be in the Kato East side and a couple miles away. Roosevelt (never been inside) is quite old but seems OK. The Eagle Lake school (never been inside) was just remodeled and expanded last year.

I think either location are good places. It comes down to which house you really like more, your driving expectations and possibly schools.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by wildchild; 04-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: added more school comments

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Me myself, I'd go with the west Mankato house, no brainer for me. I also don't use dishwashers, and my parents have been married since the mid 80s and have never had a garage, so that stuff is irrelevant for me. The area by the red jacket trails is indeed amazing.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
My grandparents and some aunts and cousins live in Mankato (and I was actually born there), and I would say West Mankato would be a better choice. I've heard nothing but good things about Mankato West High School (but then again, one of my aunts works at Mankato East and loves it there too) and Mankato just doesn't feel busy, even when you're right in town. So it can be peaceful, but close to amenities.

My grandparents live in an old (probably 50s or 60s era) development off Stolzman past Mankato West. They're technically not in town (their development decides not to be annexed), but they are near the high school (my dad and my aunts used to walk or bike when it was nice), access to things near Mankato State, and fairly good access to the River Hills Mall area (I know a previous poster said it was a bit further, but when I visit, we can get to the mall area in about 10 minutes).

Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
and fairly good access to the River Hills Mall area (I know a previous poster said it was a bit further, but when I visit, we can get to the mall area in about 10 minutes).
I agree, that area might not be right across the street from the mall, but Mankato isn't that big, you can get anywhere in like 10 minutes. Same with St. Cloud, I can get one from end of town to the other in 10-15 minutes, easily. And I love that area by West High School. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota