Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,934,346 times

Advertisements

Someone was saying the other day that homes were selling for less than their property tax valuations. Doesn't that mean we should all be getting our property taxes lowered since our homes are going down in value?

I've done this in other states by giving sold comps to the tax office. How do you get your taxes lowered here? Has anyone done this before? Taxes here are so high every little bit helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM

592 posts, read 2,803,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Someone was saying the other day that homes were selling for less than their property tax valuations. Doesn't that mean we should all be getting our property taxes lowered since our homes are going down in value?

I've done this in other states by giving sold comps to the tax office. How do you get your taxes lowered here? Has anyone done this before? Taxes here are so high every little bit helps!
Funny you should bring this up yellowsnow. I recently went to a so called "tax evaluation meeting" and brought up that very point as my taxes have tripled in three years and my property has decreased in value since I bought it when real estate was at its all time high. I was not so politely told the county is only required to re-evaluate values every 5 years, and they would re-evaluate in 5 years. Nice, huh?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,934,346 times
That's interesting! I wonder if there is an appeal/hearing procedure? If enough people filed to do this, it would be so expensive they would be forced to reconsider.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That's interesting! I wonder if there is an appeal/hearing procedure? If enough people filed to do this, it would be so expensive they would be forced to reconsider.
At least in the county where I live, there is no procedure to appeal the board's decision. What irritated me the most, is after pointing out that my taxes had tripled in three years, that about 25 acres of my land is useless swamp, I have no children in the schools, I use no county resources whatsoever, I was told I was still getting a good deal on my tax bill. That statement by the board chair just about put me into a spin. Of course, increased taxes are blamed on State Aid cuts to the county...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 AM

175 posts, read 729,787 times
Ok, a major bridge just collapses and you think that taxes are going to be lowered??........Dream on. I think MN is going to see alot more tax increases. Perhaps the gov't should put the money towards roads etc and not sports stadiums!!..

Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 AM

118 posts, read 387,520 times
All taxes are not created equal. Property taxes, the issue here, generally do not go toward major highway and bridge improvements, save improvements and maintenance of county and local roads. State transportation funding comes from the general fund, taken from state income taxes (not property taxes), and the now Constitionally-dedicated motor vehicle sales tax. Property taxes are a different animal, and because the most regressive tax in Minnesota is the property tax, I believe that special care should be given to ensure that homeowners only pay their fair share.

On the flip side, depreciating home values means less money to the local and county municipalities, and the local and county municipalities need money to operate as well, even during a housing slump.

Last edited by AVguy; 08-08-2007 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
All taxes are not created equal. Property taxes, the issue here, generally do not go toward major highway and bridge improvements, save improvements and maintenance of county and local roads. State transportation funding comes from the general fund, taken from state income taxes (not property taxes), and the now Constitionally-dedicated motor vehicle sales tax. Property taxes are a different animal, and because the most regressive tax in Minnesota is the property tax, I believe that special care should be given to ensure that homeowners only pay their fair share.

On the flip side, depreciating home values means less money to the local and county municipalities, and the local and county municipalities need money to operate as well, even during a housing slump.
Well said Avguy, I'm glad you understood the topic being discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota