Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,256 times

Advertisements

Can't tax the millionaires, because otherwise they'll move? Sounds eerily similar to arguments in favor of new sports stadiums.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Can't tax the millionaires, because otherwise they'll move? Sounds eerily similar to arguments in favor of new sports stadiums.
Yeah, it kind of does....but could you imagine the state without sports teams and millionaires? I don't know what we would do with ourselves with such a gross deprivation of egos.

Speaking of which, how many of these millionaires are actually pro sports players and owners? Probably a decent chunk of them.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM

455 posts, read 637,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I still don't get why people care so much about a tax increase to the state's richest individuals. Unless you make over $1 million a year you aren't affected, so shut up.
That's poor. Why don't we just take money from the blacks or the gays? If you aren't in one of those groups, it won't affect you, so I don't want to hear you complain.

I understand you are hesitant to tax the millionaires. I am just attacking the reasoning in the quote.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,561 times
Quote:
I still don't get why people care so much about a tax increase to the state's richest individuals. Unless you make over $1 million a year you aren't affected, so shut up.
Unless you are on welfare, cutting it won't affect you, so shut up.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,561 times
This state has a serious spending problem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR

In the absence of talks, the shutdown was rippling into the lives of people like Sonya Mills, a 39-year-old mother of eight facing the loss of about $3,600 a month in state child care subsidies.

Minnesota Shutdown Hits Poor; Aid Groups Scramble : NPR
Should one person be getting $43,200/year in just daycare subsidies alone because she won't stop having kids that she can't afford? I didn't have kids when I was younger because I knew that I could not afford them at the time. I would think this lady could figure out the problem after child number 3, 4, 5, 6, or even 7. Maybe she is just doing her part to keep up North Minneapolis stereotypes, I wonder if she is originally from Chicago.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Looks like my all-time favorite former Minnesota governor (no, not Jesse) and other folks are starting to help out with this situation:

Former political powers seek 'third way' budget solution | StarTribune.com

Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
That's poor. Why don't we just take money from the blacks or the gays? If you aren't in one of those groups, it won't affect you, so I don't want to hear you complain.

I understand you are hesitant to tax the millionaires. I am just attacking the reasoning in the quote.
Not sure I agree with the comparison, but my whole point is the huge extent that people seem to care about something that more likely than not would have 0 effect on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Unless you are on welfare, cutting it won't affect you, so shut up.
Actually the state being shut down affects all Minnesotans in one way or another. As just one small example, I just attempted to go to the DMV website to get information about obtaining a motorcycle riding permit and the entire website is shut down as a result of the government shut down.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
I'm aware of the implications, which is why it isn't my first choice either, (as I previously stated, I prefer the sin tax route); but it's still better than trying to take money from places you shouldn't be and to defer payments like the GOP is suggesting.
The budget for the 2009-11 period we just competed was $30 billion. The Republican proposal for 2011-13 is $34 billion, a 12% increase. I've asked several times if anyone here was planning to spend 12% more over the next two years compared to the last two and, so far, no one has said yes. Rather than think about whether we're going to tax millionaires, billionaires, the middle class, or whatever, why can't we simply spend a bit less? Each of us has to make do with what we have? Why can't government do the same. Why, I'll bet we could save millions just on the rubber stamp budget at the DVS!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
Dayton took the "millionaire tax increase" off the table.

Do you know what nuggets the Republicans added to the "lights on budget proposal"? Their redistricting plan for the state, abortion and stem cell restrictions and voter ID. All of which were vetoed! They are listening to the far right...the people who are screaming "shut 'er down"

This shutdown is about conservatives pushing their social agenda. Notice they've been awful quiet today.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That's why you think we got to this point?
yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota