Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
Why do you care why I am posting here am I violating any rules? Furthermore if you read the thread you will see that it is my thread and people are responding to my posts.
I don't care why -- I WONDER why. My point is, what exactly do you want from us? Do you need advice or help? Or do you just want to complain about Minnesota? And if that's the case, it would help to know your motivation. Especially if you're serious about wanting to hear some real answers. It's a far more interesting conversation if you are genuinely interested or have some goal besides just complaining about MN taxes. What's your larger point? Or question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM

177 posts, read 425,256 times
I afraid I might know. Florida. Sadly but truly. Some of the people that don't want to work and yet get freebies from the state then go for a week or two vacation during winter time in Florida. How do they do that?

Quote:
I don't mind paying taxes. But I do mind being heavily taxed...for what? Do YOU know where your tax dollars are going? It is about EFFICIENT spending, which states and the government does not do. Because it isn't their money. There is no excuse for Minnesota being the 6th highest taxed state in the country: no reason. The situation of Minnesota isn't that great.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't care why -- I WONDER why. My point is, what exactly do you want from us? Do you need advice or help? Or do you just want to complain about Minnesota? And if that's the case, it would help to know your motivation. Especially if you're serious about wanting to hear some real answers. It's a far more interesting conversation if you are genuinely interested or have some goal besides just complaining about MN taxes. What's your larger point? Or question?
I've seen plenty of posts on this board that were nothing but people complaining about Minnesota. If retinoid wants to complain about our taxes, so what? One thing you and I will never agree on is your insistence that people have some vested interest in MN before they post here. I say have at it and all are welcome. Folks in Minnesota might learn something on a topic by listening to the views of people from other states.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, Minnesotans apparently love to justify their sky-high tax burden by pretending that it must mean that Minnesotans have better lives than people in states that are actually run efficiently.
Care to give some examples of those states, Southernsmoke?

I live in Georgia, for example, and Minnesota seems to be much better run than GA from what I've seen in six years. Even with this shutdown. Though Georgia isn't that much lower than MN in terms of taxes.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I've seen plenty of posts on this board that were nothing but people complaining about Minnesota. If retinoid wants to complain about our taxes, so what? One thing you and I will never agree on is your insistence that people have some vested interest in MN before they post here. I say have at it and all are welcome. Folks in Minnesota might learn something on a topic by listening to the views of people from other states.
You're completely twisting my words. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't post here -- I'm trying to figure out what it is that he WANTS from us. Does he just want to complain? Or does he WANT something? I'm trying to get some perspective here. Of COURSE all are welcome, but given that this is a LOCAL forum, we try to keep the topics local. For national debates we have other sections of the forum, and I certainly think those are also worth reading. Obviously local taxes ARE local, but the purpose of the thread is VERY different if it's just someone who wants to complain about taxes in MN and/or Minneapolis from afar out of idle curiosity, versus someone who perhaps genuinely wants to understand how people in the Twin Cities view it, versus someone who is considering a relocation. If people could just be upfront about what it is that they're looking for, they'll get a more useful response. I think it's useful to know where people are coming from, what they hope to achieve, how they've formed their opinions, and their ultimate goals. From the first post, I think some of us thought the poster was considering moving to the Twin Cities, and was considering whether or not it was financially worth it. Apparently that's not the case, so what is the goal? Genuine conversation and debate, or just a platform to complain? Either could be fine, but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he wanted some real discussion, something with some actual substance to it. Maybe it's the historian in me, but figuring out where a person is coming from is, I think, essential to being able to really establish any kind of connection or understanding.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 AM

43 posts, read 83,880 times
Minnesota > The other 49

USA > The other 195

Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 AM

39 posts, read 57,057 times
Quote:
You're completely twisting my words. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't post here -- I'm trying to figure out what it is that he WANTS from us. Does he just want to complain? Or does he WANT something? I'm trying to get some perspective here. Of COURSE all are welcome, but given that this is a LOCAL forum, we try to keep the topics local. For national debates we have other sections of the forum, and I certainly think those are also worth reading. Obviously local taxes ARE local, but the purpose of the thread is VERY different if it's just someone who wants to complain about taxes in MN and/or Minneapolis from afar out of idle curiosity, versus someone who perhaps genuinely wants to understand how people in the Twin Cities view it, versus someone who is considering a relocation. If people could just be upfront about what it is that they're looking for, they'll get a more useful response. I think it's useful to know where people are coming from, what they hope to achieve, how they've formed their opinions, and their ultimate goals. From the first post, I think some of us thought the poster was considering moving to the Twin Cities, and was considering whether or not it was financially worth it. Apparently that's not the case, so what is the goal? Genuine conversation and debate, or just a platform to complain? Either could be fine, but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he wanted some real discussion, something with some actual substance to it. Maybe it's the historian in me, but figuring out where a person is coming from is, I think, essential to being able to really establish any kind of connection or understanding.
I honestly made the post to ask if the income tax was 7%...I am looking for a place to go after college and thought Minneapolis would be a good choice---living there isn't expensive, it is a big city and it is overall pretty young (and it is in the mid west but not culturally). The winters made me pause though since I have only been in snow for about 2 weeks in my life. I was on here and people said the taxes were high...I assumed the taxes would be low for some reason so I didn't even check. Then I saw they were actually pretty high which deterred me from moving to Massachusetts. I was just wondering if the state income tax was indeed 7% as that seemed pretty high. Then it turned into a big debate as you can see. I am not 'attacking' anything. I just am disappointed that the taxes are high because now I have less places to pick from.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Quote:
What services does Minnesota provide that New Hampshire, Texas and Florida do not? What makes life so much better in Minnesota than these places? Can these benefits be directly correlated to government efforts? If you are finding that a difficult question to answer then you understand where I am coming from.
Why don't YOU tell us what makes Texas, Florida or New Hampshire so great compared to Minnesota, Retinoid? You keep bringing these places up, yet you have yet to say HOW they compare to Minnesota (other than "less taxes"). I personally have NO desire to ever live in Texas or Florida. (New Hampshire I'm not so familiar with so can't comment.)

Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 AM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
One thing you and I will never agree on is your insistence that people have some vested interest in MN before they post here.
Ummm....considering this is the "Minneapolis Forum", having a "vested interest in MN" is helpful.

Gotta go! Off to the Florida Forum to ask why they have WAY more bugs than Minnesota! I'm sure they'll care (because I sure don't)!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
You're completely twisting my words.
I am not twisting the meaning of your words. I think that sometimes you put things out here without fully appreciating the meaning of what you say. Nonetheless , the OP has now justified their original post and,guess what? They have a legitimate interest in Minnesota, as i believe you would define it. I still think that this was unnecessary and given your semi-official position here, that the request was somewhat intimidating. But now that OP has explained their interest in MN please share how that information helps you. I am still kind of fuzzy on that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota