Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 AM

302 posts, read 724,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
I just am disappointed that the taxes are high because now I have less places to pick from.
Seriously? You have 50 states to pick from...with loads of small cities. You will be JUST fine if you exclude Minnesota and Massachusetts.

Oh youth....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,666,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
Ummm....considering this is the "Minneapolis Forum", having a "vested interest in MN" is helpful.

Gotta go! Off to the Florida Forum to ask why they have WAY more bugs than Minnesota! I'm sure they'll care (because I sure don't)!
So, do you think quality of life means the same thing to everyone?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So, do you think quality of life means the same thing to everyone?
There is a generally understood definition of "quality of life", yes! But some may emphasize certain aspects more than others....I greatly appreciate having streets plowed when I have to drive to work. Others might appreciate well maintained parks more than I do.

Now answer MY question (which you have NOT and I CANNOT WAIT to hear the answer)...how do YOU define "quality of life"? Do you prefer trash everywhere? Do you prefer a non-responsive police force (which is what they have in L.A. for all but the most violent crimes)? Clearly you don't agree with the earlier Wiki definition I provided which would seem to cover most people's definition of "quality of life".

Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
There is a generally understood definition of "quality of life", yes! But some may emphasize certain aspects more than others....I greatly appreciate having streets plowed when I have to drive to work. Others might appreciate well maintained parks more than I do.

Now answer MY question (which you have NOT and I CANNOT WAIT to hear the answer)...how do YOU define "quality of life"? Do you prefer trash everywhere? Do you prefer a non-responsive police force (which is what they have in L.A. for all but the most violent crimes)? Clearly you don't agree with the earlier Wiki definition I provided which would seem to cover most people's definition of "quality of life".
You have never asked me that question. My point in asking you for your definition was simply to point out that some people might want to pay more taxes for more amenities and services while others might prefer lower taxes and fewer state provided services. A lot of people here have talked about how the high taxes are justified by the great schools. Others have said they could care less about the schools. So when you make your argument that taxes need to be high or else we get " crappy crap" well, others say I don't want that stuff from the state anyway.

Despite the obviously ridiculous phrasing of your question, I will answer it anyway. Quality of life to me is represented by the security and freedom to pursue my own interests and raise my family.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You have never asked me that question.
Ummm, yes, I think I did ask you that question:

Quote:
I'd like to know what is YOUR definition of "quality of life"?
One thing I've learned, is that when people say they want "fewer state provided services" it generally means "fewer state provided services for OTHERS". God forbid someone touch the state provided services THEY utilize. Different people have different priorities, but NOTHING comes for FREE. In our society, taxes pay for these things.

The "freedom" you so covet to pursue your own interests and raise your family will never come "free", and if you think they will I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida (or Texas or wherever taxes are SO low!).

Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Ummm, yes, I think I did ask you that question:

One thing I've learned, is that when people say they want "fewer state provided services" it generally means "fewer state provided services for OTHERS". God forbid someone touch the state provided services THEY utilize. Different people have different priorities, but NOTHING comes for FREE. In our society, taxes pay for these things.

The "freedom" you so covet to pursue your own interests and raise your family will never come "free", and if you think they will I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida (or Texas or wherever taxes are SO low!).
I've read all of your posts and you never asked me. When you did, I answered. But let's not argue. One thing that you and I agree on is that freedom is never free. What we may not agree on is the price. You see the price in dollars and cents, and quality of life as plowed snow and parks. I see the price paid by the brave men and women who stand guard over us, and quality of life defined more in these terms.
The Bill of Rights (including the Preamble to the Bill of Rights)

Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I've read all of your posts and you never asked me. When you did, I answered. But let's not argue. One thing that you and I agree on is that freedom is never free. What we may not agree on is the price. You see the price in dollars and cents, and quality of life as plowed snow and parks. I see the price paid by the brave men and women who stand guard over us, and quality of life defined more in these terms.

Um, yes, I DID ask you that question:

Quote:
"Again"...."Again" what?? I answered your question. I'd like to know what is YOUR definition of "quality of life"? Please make your point (if you have one).
And you responded:

Quote:
You don't have to get snotty about it. My question, which you have never answered, is this: would you accept that the term quality of life might mean different things to different people? Is that so difficult?
Remember?? You said I was being "snotty".

And THANK you SO much for referencing the Bill of Rights. I suggest you reference the Preamble to the Constitution if you're going to throw government documents into the mix. My favorite line being to "promote the general welfare" for all people. Yours might be "provide for the common defense", I dunno. IT ALL COSTS MONEY = NOTHING IS FREE = TAXES REQUIRED!!

And we ALL appreciate our service men and women, regardless of where we stand on taxes. (It's rather "snotty" of you to assume otherwise.) And unless you are going to send our armed forces a personal check, then taxes MUST be used to pay for them and make sure they are well armed (which sadly is NOT always the case).

Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 AM

177 posts, read 423,585 times
Quote:
I enjoy reading you two posts. Glenfield. I think what MSMCgirl is trying to paint the picture is that she used to lived in a horrible, horrible place for human habitat (which is LA), and she now found a haven place to live and raise her family (which is Mpls) despise everything else. As long as she is happy everything else is priceless until her next move and she will look back and says, you know what this place is even better to live and raise a family than MN.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
I enjoy reading you two posts. Glenfield. I think what MSMCgirl is trying to paint the picture is that she used to lived in a horrible, horrible place for human habitat (which is LA), and she now found a haven place to live and raise her family (which is Mpls) despise everything else. As long as she is happy everything else is priceless until her next move and she will look back and says, you know what this place is even better to live and raise a family than MN.
Wow. That added a LOT to the discussion. I can tell, HugeTon, that you are sharp as a rubber ball! Looks like Glenfield won the meat-head lottery with your backing of him!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,648,021 times
Quote:
I am not twisting the meaning of your words. I think that sometimes you put things out here without fully appreciating the meaning of what you say. Nonetheless , the OP has now justified their original post and,guess what? They have a legitimate interest in Minnesota, as i believe you would define it. I still think that this was unnecessary and given your semi-official position here, that the request was somewhat intimidating. But now that OP has explained their interest in MN please share how that information helps you. I am still kind of fuzzy on that point.
Who cares how it helps you? It helped me. If you're not interested, all you need to do is skim over those posts -- this is a forum where multiple people are involved in the discussion, and not every post is going to be of interest to you, personally. If you have your own questions for the OP, by all means go ahead and asked them. It DID help me, because now I know where he's coming from. He was debating a move, and had some questions. In other words, perhaps he would benefit from hearing about some of the other tax relief and credits for people at his income level. Rent credit, for one.

And yes, you are twisting my words. I simply wanted to know what the OP wanted (although yes, I was a bit frustrated); he came back and provided those details, which I thought was useful and did help me to understand his motivations and perspective. Feel free to ignore his (her?) posts if you don't find them useful or interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota