Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 44,952 times

Advertisements

Hey Ya'll-Question...I'm going to be working on my masters degree once I get to MN...If everything works out well I may be living close to 5th Crow wing lake - I need decent internet access-and from what I understand-where I'll be staying there aren't any phone lines. Do any of ya'll use satellite internet? If so-how does in do in the more rural areas? Does the weather effect it-all the trees-etc.?

Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM

184 posts, read 1,017,563 times
I have success with my internet access in most parts of the state, including northern Minnesota. However, there are more dead spots -- you know, where it works in one spot but dies a mile down the road, then works again if you move again. Not like the solid coverage in metro areas.

Your best bet is to test it from the specific spot where you would use it most.

FYI - I use Verizon for my satellite service.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,218,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenin View Post
I have success with my internet access in most parts of the state, including northern Minnesota. However, there are more dead spots -- you know, where it works in one spot but dies a mile down the road, then works again if you move again. Not like the solid coverage in metro areas.

Your best bet is to test it from the specific spot where you would use it most.

FYI - I use Verizon for my satellite service.
Are you sure you are using satellite internet, not Verizon EVDO cellular wireless internet service? Satellite internet should have no dead spots as long as you have line of sight to a specific location in the sky.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,066,243 times
I used satellite for about a year before I got wireless (again; the old company folded). It should work anywhere you have a clear view of the southern sky (or in Minnesota, at least a certain portion of the southwestern sky, for WildBlue). Performance is adequate, but not nearly as good as other connections. There is a significant lag (latency) due to the signal having to travel to the satellite and back, which can become annoying for web surfing. Rain sometimes brings dropouts or even completely disrupts service. But if that's the only option you have, you have to accept it.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 AM

How much of the time is it cloudy-or overcast enough to disrupt service in the winter in MN? I get the impression ya'll are overcast for several months at a time?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandy View Post
How much of the time is it cloudy-or overcast enough to disrupt service in the winter in MN? I get the impression ya'll are overcast for several months at a time?

I don't have satellite internet but we are not overcast for months at a time, maybe a week here and there but for the most part we have fairly clear skies.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,218,926 times
Quote:
I have never had any type of satellite service disrupted by just cloudy or overcast skies, only very heavy rain.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the info! Ya'll have been very helpful.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 80,278 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Ya'll have been very helpful.
Check out WildBlue (WildBlue - Official Website - Satellite Speed Internet), and unless you're stuck with a DishNetwork account already I'd strongly recommend DirecTV for better service.

Oh, and try to lose the "ya'll" if you're going to MN, eh?

Cheers!

MH

Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Ain't no stinking way I'm losin' the ya'll!....so where did the eh? thing come from anyway? What do you folks (hehehe) use for you all? What's your slang?

RK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota