Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I think 2 months is a slight exaggeration.
Summer lasts two months, and there are entire months below zero. Perhaps this person actually moved to Moscow, instead of The Moscow on the Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 AM

204 posts, read 774,244 times
As a transplant from the East Coast-I totally disagree with that "2 month" comment. This will be our 3rd winter here and I have not found it bad at all. And we have longer than a 2 month summer.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurmMN View Post
I've lived here all my life and am now looking at Tennessee for my retirement home. We're going there in either Feb or March to check it out. I'm excited....The weather will probably be totalling different than in MN and it will take some getting used to but I need a change even if it turns out to be temporary.

So, what do you think? Am I nuts to pick TN?????
Are you looking for some place around Knoxville or what area? I have had some good times in TN but one thing that has always bothered me about this state is how poor it really is. The roads suck, just about any type of infra structure is very substandard. Also, poverty creates crime and many other social problems that here in Minnesota are just mild. The culture is very different and you will see a lot more of the "trashy-redneck" kind of people. I would say, if you are open to a "totally different" way of living go for it but you will soon realize how good we have here in Minnesota

Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Are you looking for some place around Knoxville or what area? I have had some good times in TN but one thing that has always bothered me about this state is how poor it really is. The roads suck, just about any type of infra structure is very substandard. Also, poverty creates crime and many other social problems that here in Minnesota are just mild. The culture is very different and you will see a lot more of the "trashy-redneck" kind of people. I would say, if you are open to a "totally different" way of living go for it but you will soon realize how good we have here in Minnesota
Many of the same reasons that I am now in the process of moving back to MN.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 44,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
You are not nuts. Many people are starting to pick eastern Tennessee for retirement. It will not be bad if you can adjust to the southern/appalachia way of life and not as many lakes. I would highly recommend renting for maybe a year or so until well after the 'honeymoon phase" is over to know if it is really where you want to stay. I am not at retirement age, but have been moving around the southeast for some years, have not liked it in comparison to MN and am now on my way back.
What's an appalachia way of life?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSpree View Post
What's an appalachia way of life?
The culture and lifestyle of many people born and raised in parts of the Appalachian Mountains. Spend some time in West Virgina to find out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota