Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

I use my horn a lot!

When I pull up next to someone and we are the only ones at the light, I'll honk my horn but act like I didn't and watch as the guy next to me looks at me and then all around to see who's honking at him. After honking a few more times I'll eventually look over at him staring at me and give him the "whada you lookin' at" look.

Another fun thing to do (but I strongly discourage anyone from doing this) is to lay on your horn if you're the third car in line at a red light. Often the first guy will begin to accelerate into oncoming traffic but quickly catch himself from the impending disaster. He'll then get out of his car and start screaming at the guy directly behind him. Too funny!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
The whole honking when light turns green thing...I just dont see why should I get so upset over something so minor. If the person is a little late in getting going by a few seconds not worth getting all upset over and making him and me look bad. I dont like to stir the pot if you will.... but that's me.

For safety reasons yes... I had to use it once when someone was making a left hand turn into my lane and I guess they didnt see me. So using it that way got their attention and they stopped before hitting me.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
The whole honking when light turns green thing...I just dont see why should I get so upset over something so minor. If the person is a little late in getting going by a few seconds not worth getting all upset over and making him and me look bad. I dont like to stir the pot if you will.... but that's me.

For safety reasons yes... I had to use it once when someone was making a left hand turn into my lane and I guess they didnt see me. So using it that way got their attention and they stopped before hitting me.
Sometimes you're in a hurry and have some place to be. Even if I don't though, I don't enjoy sitting at red lights, wasting gas so some ding dong can sit there not paying attention, but maybe that's just me.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Well, there's a range of honking styles, from the quick beep to get someone's attention, to the overdone 4 second blare that fairly screams "I'm a psychopath!" to everyone around. Which style do you prefer?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM

127 posts, read 337,279 times
[quote=DaninEGF;20463384]The whole honking when light turns green thing...I just dont see why should I get so upset over something so minor. If the person is a little late in getting going by a few seconds not worth getting all upset over and making him and me look bad. I dont like to stir the pot if you will.... but that's me.

What if the person behind YOU needs to get to, say, the hospital? That is what I always keep in mind. I've been in that position where I was trying to get there because a family member was not doing well.

I'll also honk after 5 seconds or if I see they are applying make-up or texting. But as a general rule, after 5 seconds I think it is OK to honk.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
[quote=shotz90s;20466941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

What if the person behind YOU needs to get to, say, the hospital? That is what I always keep in mind. I've been in that position where I was trying to get there because a family member was not doing well.

I'll also honk after 5 seconds or if I see they are applying make-up or texting. But as a general rule, after 5 seconds I think it is OK to honk.
I do agree...if more than 5 seconds or I can see they are distracted...then yes a quick tap is fine.... I am of that mindset when I am at lights....I dont like waiters either...but my personality is pretty laid back in that regards so I dont get worked up either way.

I guess I am one of those who dont like to rock the boat, so to speak.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
I had some friends visit from Illinois who were very impressed with Minneapolis. They said honking is constant in Chicago (they're not from there, but visit often), even at pedestrians when they have the right-of-way. I'm not sure if that's true, but when I had to drive their car, I honked at somebody (they did something unsafe or weren't moving at the light, I believe) and one of them was quite embarrassed because they felt that with their Illinois license plates that they looked like the out-of-staters who don't know the rules: no honking in Minnesota.

I rarely honk and I like that we're not horn crazy like some stats. If someone tries to merge into me, pulls out of a driveway at a slow speed while I'm at the speed limit (this happens WAY too often), or somebody isn't going at the light after a long time, I'll give a light honk (or sometimes a long one in those unsafe highway situations). But the horn is only for the occasion case, not the rule of what you should do as soon as the light turns green.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
What about someone flashing their high beams at you? Is that considered rude?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
The horn was designed for situations like these. I WANT someone to honk at me if I don't see the light. Honking is completely appropriate, if not necessary at times.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Ugh. Who cares if MN natives think it's rude? Use the horn if you need it - in the grand scheme of life, they'll get over it and probably won't even remember they were honked at by the time they get home.
**BEEEEEEEEEEP**

Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota