Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,878 times

Advertisements

Hello! My wife and I are considering moving to a North Metro lake. There are a few homes for sale that we like, but the home we like best is one that has a small city road between the house and the lake. The home comes with a small amount of property across the road - enough room for a dock, gazebo, deck, etc.

My question is this - how big of a deal is it to have a house that has the street between it and the lake? I realize it would be ideal to have your back yard butt right up to the lake, but we haven't found a home we really like (and in our price range) that fits that description. I'm open to the idea of a home with the street between it and the lake, but I'm just not sure if its a bigger pain in the butt than I can picture right now (i.e. things get stolen, you inherently use the lake less, lack of privacy is a big issue, etc.).

Any help from someone who has experienced living in a house like this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Are you empty nesters or are you planing on a family?

How is the traffic?

Are you going to have kids. dog or cat?

Traffic can be a big consideration and the lack of privacy would all be concerns for me.

For me it would be a deal breaker, in this market there has to be a lot of lake homes for sale, keep looking.
JMO

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I have a friend who has a home like that in Lake Elmo. The road wasn't that busy though. The only thing you have to worry about is crossing the street to get to the lake. there really isnt any problems other than that unless if its a really busy road

Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,878 times
Default On Lake v. Dock Across The Street

Good points. We aren't empty nesters - we actually have 2 small boys.

The point about the traffic is a good one, as is the privacy issue - they all seem like drawbacks to me as well. Hopefully someone that lives in a house across the street from the dock/lake (or used to) can provide some insight - perhaps these kinds of issues actually are deal breakers, or perhaps they don't matter too much once you move in and get used to it.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I think it's when you get use to it the proublem will arise.

Like excited kids not looking before running to the lake. The dog chasing the kids or see the kids playing and runs across the street.
Even on the quietest streets accidents can happen.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthberto View Post
Hello! My wife and I are considering moving to a North Metro lake. There are a few homes for sale that we like, but the home we like best is one that has a small city road between the house and the lake. The home comes with a small amount of property across the road - enough room for a dock, gazebo, deck, etc.

My question is this - how big of a deal is it to have a house that has the street between it and the lake? I realize it would be ideal to have your back yard butt right up to the lake, but we haven't found a home we really like (and in our price range) that fits that description. I'm open to the idea of a home with the street between it and the lake, but I'm just not sure if its a bigger pain in the butt than I can picture right now (i.e. things get stolen, you inherently use the lake less, lack of privacy is a big issue, etc.).

Any help from someone who has experienced living in a house like this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
I dont know where you are located but the best and most beautiful example showing what you are looking for is take a drive over to Dowling Lake, Amnacon Lake area, South of Superior WI, and this is the area that will clearly show you what you are talking about.

The houses / cabins are all on one side of the road, while the docks and boats are on the other side of the road.

Its a mixture of hardwood trees, white pines, spruces with some hills thrown in absolutely beautiful area one of my favorite places actually to drive around in especially in the fall.

But this area would be an excellent hands on example for you so if you are near it would be worth taking the short drive over there, AND for another incentive Corbins Bar is an excellent place for food, fantastic, quiet and peaceful out in the woods sort of place, and the Bar across the road is the Amnicon Bar another excellent choice for food.

I dont know how far a drive it would be from the metro area Im guessing maybe come up WS 35 maybe 3 hours I dont know how far it is though

Last edited by demtion35; 09-20-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I think in some ways having the house across the street from the lake with small kids is a good thing, especially if you can put a fence in the back yard of the house. The kids can play out there without worry of them going for a swim unsupervised. Maybe go spend some time on that road, check for traffic levels, etc. If it is just residential traffic you probably won't have any issues. If people from the area use that as a cut-through street, I wouldn't buy that house.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
I think that you will come to see this for the major safety issue that it is. Ask yourself this: would I want my kids to repeatedly cross the street we live on now, all the while focused intently on what it on the other side of the street rather than looking for cars? That's what will happen (fence or no), so if the to this question is yes, then by all means go for it. If you hesitate, then wait a little while for the right place. There's no shortage of lakefront property, so you'll find what you want. BTW, if your kids a not proficient swimmers already, get them into swim lessons. It's a critical safety issue here. Foss Swim Schools do an excellent job.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Lake Gervais, by any chance? I drive around it all the time because I like the area so much. I know exactly what you mean. Are the taxes any different with the road being there, or not? It would kind of suck but at the same time that lake the cars don't drive like nutters around it as far as I can tell.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
So, across the street, you would own the property that actually touches the lake? Would everyone else know this? I mean, if you put up a gazebo, will everyone know it is yours and not belonging to the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota