U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 AM

19 posts, read 31,629 times

Advertisements

The most beautiful land and lakes in Minnesota are on the Canadian border, in my opinion. But they're very far out from the Twin Cities, and the lots are expensive. Rainy Lake to Lake of the Woods though, but make sure you can handle the cold if you ever stop by in the Winter!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM

22,423 posts, read 39,046,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's interesting that YOU would suggest that, being from Kentucky and all. Aitkin County isn't exactly a shining spot on most people's mental maps, even those from the Twin Cities. It's sparsely populated and somewhat poorish. There are no real "tourist towns" of note there (Aitkin - the city - certainly isn't a tourist town), but there are some beautiful lakes. These are some pictures that I took of Big Sandy Lake, which is in Aitkin County, over five years ago. I uploaded them to a photo hosting site, posted the pictures on a thread on another forum, and lo and behold both the thread and some of the pictures were there:

These aren't the best pictures I posted (they were somehow no longer hosted), but they capture some of the beauty of the lake.

I don't know how much properties cost there, but there are other lakes in Aitkin County as well with fish and swimming beaches - Farm Island Lake is one that comes to mind immediately.

One consideration, however, that has to be borne into mind, is distance. Commute times from Crystal Lake (a far NW suburb of Chicago) to Big Sandy Lake is nearly 9 hours taking 94 to 53 to 210 (as a bonus, you get to stop in my town of Duluth, which IS a major regional tourist destination and a very beautiful one at that. Alexandria is almost a straight shot on I-90 and I-94, and takes roughly the same time to arrive to. As another post suggested, perhaps you could try SE MN - Winona, Houston, or Lake City - but it's an entirely different type of terrain there and there are few lakes, although there are some along the Mississippi River, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. It's much nearer, though, 4 - 6 hours.

Maybe the OP could also try the "glacial lakes" in southcentral MN - Lake Okabena, Lake Heron, Okoboji or Spirit Lake in IA ... about a 6 - 8 hour haul from the NW suburbs of Chicago. Some of the more desirable looking lakes (judging from size, interconnectedness, and name, albeit) look nearer to the Cities, so there might be a price hike.

A final option might be to look far north in MN. Lakes are a dime a dozen there, and property might be cheaper because of its remoteness and relatively short swimming season (if you're willing to swim in the lakes at all...I would be, but many others wouldn't). The distance from Crystal Lake to Tower, home of Vermillion Lake, one of the more popular northern lakes, is about 9 hours.
Good pictures of Aitkin county. I have been meaning to reactivate my photobucket account (forgot my password), but haven't gotten around to it. Living in the Louisville region, but certainly not a native. I am a native of the Kansas City area. Lived in many different places and enjoy moving. Aitkin county is interesting because along with the smaller pocket lakes it does have some small-scale agriculture with a few cranberry bogs. Any place that doesn't have the urban influx of $$$ through RE is going to be lower income. Aitkin really isn't that much lower income compared to the northwoods of WI, though. The northwoods counties in WI got hit extremely hard by the real estate bust, and WI has a much higher property tax burden as well.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM

6,841 posts, read 8,277,942 times
I spent 5 minutes online and found several Brainerd area properties for sale well below $500K. While most homes are still overpriced, there are several sellers who are becoming more realistic. Remember, this is asking prices.

See 35333 Lake Bertha Circle, Pequot Lakes, MN 56472 | Listing Information | Brainerd/Baxter on Bertha (Whitefish Chain) for $286K. Small elevation.

Or 5826 Red Cedar Lodge Drive, Pine River, MN 56474 | Listing Information | Brainerd/Baxter for $139K on Whitefish. This one is a weedy.

Or 12651 Anchor Point Rd, Crosslake, MN 56442 | Listing Information | Brainerd/Baxter on Rush (again the Whitefish chain) for $339K.

Give me another 10 minutes and I will find another dozen.

The reality is homes in MN have dropped 30%+ from peak. The 2nd home market has been battered even further. But most lake property owners are wishing that they are going to still fetch those 2007 prices. That's why sales are extremely slow; sellers are in denial or they are leveraged and cannot lower the price. If I was in the market for lake cabin in the Brainerd cain of lakes, I'd wait longer as time is on your side because it will drop some more. Banks are reluctant to lend and appraisals are falling far short of those overpriced asking prices.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Pretty much everyone in Minnesota had a cabin in the 1950's perhaps, when you could buy lakeshore property for dirt cheap. Nowadays only folks with family cabins or filthy rich retards have 'em.
Why are you so bitter audadvnc?? I bought my 4000 sq foot lake home for cash. If I have the means, how does that make me a "retard"? If you think about it, this could be a sign that I am smarter than you.

From Urban Dictionary: retard

1. retard
A person born with a mental condition and therefore has to work a million times harder to be able to do simple things (such as learn and communicate) that we take for granted. On top of this, a retard will usually suffer a lot of ridicule from society because people fear what they do not understand. The people who choose to make fun of the mental retarded tend to be complete morons and cannot comprehend that these people have feelings and emotions just like anyone else.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,332,821 times
That Dorothy Parker line applies very well in your case.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 5,788 times
We own a cabin up in Grand Marais on lake Superior, which is WAY up north. But arguably one of the most beautiful, pristine places on earth. Anywhere in the BWCA would fit the bill for what you are looking for. And the good news is, that if you buy in the right spot, people will definitely be interested in renting it when you can't make it up there! Minnesotans love to head "up north" whenever they get the chance. Check out coldwellbanker.com/north shore

Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
That Dorothy Parker line applies very well in your case.
Whatever. Anyone who calls someone a "retard" just because (in my case) they worked harder or smarter than you smells of class envy. Now, if you didn't divide your net-worth with your better 1/2, then you wouldn't have to call people who are still married "retards". You could have a cabin too if you doubled your families assets. I'm just sayin'.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,552,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Why are you so bitter audadvnc?? I bought my 4000 sq foot lake home for cash. If I have the means, how does that make me a "retard"? If you think about it, this could be a sign that I am smarter than you.
Or perhaps just luckier.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Or perhaps just luckier.
Luck is always part of where we end up. I was lucky to have loving parents. I was lucky to be born in the USA. I am also lucky to be healthy. I can go on and on.

I grew up poor and was the 1st generation to graduate from college (none of my 5 brothers spent a day beyond high school). Yes. I was lucky! But it wasn't luck to start a business and work 120 hours a week to get it up and running. It wasn't luck to mange my money frugally nor was it luck to control my own destiny.

But Mr. Bitter called people who work hard a "retard". Because if they own a nice lake place, in his class envy mind they must be "filthy rich retards". There: I feel better.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,012,920 times
It seemed like everyone we knew growing up, had a cabin or a relative with a cabin. My grandparents had one, we went up EOW, during all seasons. It was great snowmobiling across the lake. I miss it so much. I only know of a few people who have relatives who have a cabin now. iTs less common as the prices go up. Lake Miltona is where my grandparents had their place, it was so beautiful up there. We drive up there once every summer to visit the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota