U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,333 posts, read 23,308,983 times
Reputation: 3942

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
What's funny about that it's similar to the North Stars. The North Stars had a fan base like the Vikings - Loyal and emotional and sometimes irrational. Toward the end of the 80's the North Stars were in a huge rutt and could hardly draw a fan base. Nobody wanted to build a new arena so everyone took the easy way out and said "Let them leave!", anticipating NHL's move to southern markets.
This has already been countered.

What is your hangup? The North Stars situation was a very complex situation and involved at least one legal situation with the owner as well as a completely unique and unprecedented draft involving the partial creation of an expansion team using existing North Stars players.

The Vikings situation has very little in common with the situation the North Stars presented. Very little.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: MN
3,863 posts, read 8,560,458 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
This has already been countered.

What is your hangup? The North Stars situation was a very complex situation and involved at least one legal situation with the owner as well as a completely unique and unprecedented draft involving the partial creation of an expansion team using existing North Stars players.

The Vikings situation has very little in common with the situation the North Stars presented. Very little.
You're digging waaaay too deep. I'm talking about the irrational fan base of Minnesotans. You can insert any Minnesota _________ Team and it's the same thing. The same people who two years ago said "Man, the Lynx are worthless, why do we even have WNBA?" are the same saying "Yea! WNBA Champs baby!!"

I find it happening all too often. I'm not sure why it's like that. I heard a theory once- that it's the Lutheran heritage here - Too much good can cause guilt. I think that ideal and mentality has been instilled in Minnesotans. That Lutheran-cannot-be-satisfied-passive-agressiveness.

I just get tired of hearing "The Vikings are worthless" but then they are the same people who complain that they watched the game in agony all Sunday. It's like why did you tune in? Last week you complained. So save yourself 3 hours every sunday and STOP being a fan.

As an avid, doesn't-matter-if-we-win-lose-tie-suck-or-are-triumphant, I will be there cheering. I watched EVERY single Twins game this season and went to 15 games and they lost 99 games!!! As a fan, you shouldn't and cannot have it both ways. It's a joke. The same people who bought Favre jerseys in 09' are the same people who scoffed at every Vikings loss this year as if they have some built in guilt about being a fan, while on the outside trying to show they are so hardcore and against the Vikes.

Expansion drafts are the way of Pro Sports too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
 
495 posts, read 610,183 times
Reputation: 800
Go racino.We really need something to break up the indian gaming monopoly.We have the worst deal of any state with indian gaming,a 99 year compact with NO money going to the state.A little compitition might force them to loosen up their horrible slot paybacks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,333 posts, read 23,308,983 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You're digging waaaay too deep. I'm talking about the irrational fan base of Minnesotans. You can insert any Minnesota _________ Team and it's the same thing. The same people who two years ago said "Man, the Lynx are worthless, why do we even have WNBA?" are the same saying "Yea! WNBA Champs baby!!"
Oh, ok. I can buy that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,066,188 times
Reputation: 1074
Default something they might not have considered about the new stadium

Pro football has had its ups and downs throughout history. In the 1930s pro football was for guys that never really grew up. That is how they were looked by others. But college football was really big back then, as it is now. But I read that there are some teams that are having trouble filling seats. Other teams are guaranteed sellouts like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc. But I think pro football is waaaay over hyped and waaaay over comercialized and the players are getting waaay too much money. It has been overdone. So maybe there is a point where people will have too much of it and get sick of the sport. So when the stadium is complete in 2016 where is football going to be then? No one knows of course but I for one am sick of the whole hype. I rarely watch a football game.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Home in NOMI
1,635 posts, read 2,290,898 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I n the 1930s pro football was for guys that never really grew up.
As opposed to now ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: MN
3,863 posts, read 8,560,458 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Pro football has had its ups and downs throughout history. In the 1930s pro football was for guys that never really grew up. That is how they were looked by others. But college football was really big back then, as it is now. But I read that there are some teams that are having trouble filling seats. Other teams are guaranteed sellouts like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc. But I think pro football is waaaay over hyped and waaaay over comercialized and the players are getting waaay too much money. It has been overdone. So maybe there is a point where people will have too much of it and get sick of the sport. So when the stadium is complete in 2016 where is football going to be then? No one knows of course but I for one am sick of the whole hype. I rarely watch a football game.
Either be a fan or not, u can't have it both ways. It's an entertainment venture as much as its a sport. I think that American Idol is way over hyped and Ryan Seacrest doesn't need to make the money he does. People need to realize that professsional sports are nothing like we know about. It's not college, it's not high school. It's a full fledged billion dollar industry no different than film, stage, music, etc.

I have a buddy whose dad is a big-time hunter. His hobby is spending thousands of dollars every year to go hunt in Colorado, Canada, Texas, you name it. I think it's blasphemy. He thinks it's blasphemy I spend thousands at Twins, Vikes, and Wild game year. He'll say "why do u spend that money to watch those rich babies" and I just say "why do u spend that money to sit in the woods with a bunch of dudes trying to find some lame animal?"

Either you're a fan of sports or you're not. You cannot have it both ways. Pro sports are going to keep getting bigger
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Status: "Remember what the Dormouse said Feed your head" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
22,808 posts, read 24,014,736 times
Reputation: 35974
Governor announced yesterday that he wants any of the potential stadium sites to present their "final" plans to the legislative committee led by Rep. (R) Morrie Lanning (Moorhead) and Sen. (R) Julie Rosen (Fairmont) by 5 pm next Thursday.

Arden Hills advocate Rafael Ortega, Ramsey County Board of Commissioners chair, said Thursday that the county will meet the deadline; "We will submit a proposal. It's not going to be a big deal for us," he said. "We've been at this for a year. We've been fully vetted by everybody."

Meanwhile, Minneapolis' stadium contingent which apparently consists entirely of Mayor R.T. Rybak and City Council President Barb Johnson, issued a statement saying that they also would submit materials by the deadline. City leaders will bring a plan to renovate the Metrodome, said Rybak aide John Stiles.

Rybak appears to be basing his plan on freeing up the Minneapolis entertainment tax that is being used to pay off the Convention Center bonds but not until after 2020. Presumably an I.O.U. will suffice until then.

The governor's office did not respond Thursday evening to a question about whether Dayton would accept submissions from backers of the other two Minneapolis sites if city leaders back the Dome plan.

Governor sets Jan. 12 deadline for Vikings stadium proposals - TwinCities.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: MN
3,863 posts, read 8,560,458 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Governor announced yesterday that he wants any of the potential stadium sites to present their "final" plans to the legislative committee led by Rep. (R) Morrie Lanning (Moorhead) and Sen. (R) Julie Rosen (Fairmont) by 5 pm next Thursday.

Arden Hills advocate Rafael Ortega, Ramsey County Board of Commissioners chair, said Thursday that the county will meet the deadline; "We will submit a proposal. It's not going to be a big deal for us," he said. "We've been at this for a year. We've been fully vetted by everybody."

Meanwhile, Minneapolis' stadium contingent which apparently consists entirely of Mayor R.T. Rybak and City Council President Barb Johnson, issued a statement saying that they also would submit materials by the deadline. City leaders will bring a plan to renovate the Metrodome, said Rybak aide John Stiles.

Rybak appears to be basing his plan on freeing up the Minneapolis entertainment tax that is being used to pay off the Convention Center bonds but not until after 2020. Presumably an I.O.U. will suffice until then.

The governor's office did not respond Thursday evening to a question about whether Dayton would accept submissions from backers of the other two Minneapolis sites if city leaders back the Dome plan.

Governor sets Jan. 12 deadline for Vikings stadium proposals - TwinCities.com

I can't wait until the Stadium is completed and everyone will be asking the same thing that people are asking about Target Field :: What took so long? and Why didn't this happen earlier?

We'll be sitting here in 2016 waiting for the opening of the new Vikings Stadium and we'll all be like "WTF, why aint this happen earlier?!?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Manila
1,144 posts, read 1,691,776 times
Reputation: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Governor announced yesterday that he wants any of the potential stadium sites to present their "final" plans to the legislative committee led by Rep. (R) Morrie Lanning (Moorhead) and Sen. (R) Julie Rosen (Fairmont) by 5 pm next Thursday.

Arden Hills advocate Rafael Ortega, Ramsey County Board of Commissioners chair, said Thursday that the county will meet the deadline; "We will submit a proposal. It's not going to be a big deal for us," he said. "We've been at this for a year. We've been fully vetted by everybody."

Meanwhile, Minneapolis' stadium contingent which apparently consists entirely of Mayor R.T. Rybak and City Council President Barb Johnson, issued a statement saying that they also would submit materials by the deadline. City leaders will bring a plan to renovate the Metrodome, said Rybak aide John Stiles.

Rybak appears to be basing his plan on freeing up the Minneapolis entertainment tax that is being used to pay off the Convention Center bonds but not until after 2020. Presumably an I.O.U. will suffice until then.

The governor's office did not respond Thursday evening to a question about whether Dayton would accept submissions from backers of the other two Minneapolis sites if city leaders back the Dome plan.

Governor sets Jan. 12 deadline for Vikings stadium proposals - TwinCities.com
Not another dome! Retractable roof is the way to go so the Vikes can play in the elements (regardless of temperature!) but other events can be held indoors! If they do another dome, might as well say goodbye to the Vikes' Super Bowl chances for a few decades!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top