Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You still haven't answered my question? Personal opinions aside, how can you possibly think that DT is a better option?
What do you mean personal opinions aside? My opinion is that the stadium should be downtown, and concurrently I also think that DT is a better option.

Quote:
You seriously think that if they build it downtown tickets won't be expensive? You're logic makes no sense.
I was referring to parking, not tickets. In Arden Hills the Wilfs will have a monopoly on parking and will turn the land into a giant paid parking lot. Why do you think they are pushing so hard for that site? It'd obviously be far more lucrative for the owners.

Quote:
The Arden Hills site easily makes more sense than DT Mpls. DT Mpls has them playing next to a huge construction site for 3 years and then playing games in a college stadium. In Arden Hills they'd simply play at the place they're playing now, then transition seamlessly into a large suburban site (Which is where they want to play, and where the majority of fans want it)
I understand what the plan would involve, but don't agree that it makes more sense than DT Mpls. You can't deny the fact that the infrastructure is already set in place DT. Arden Hills would involve county funds that politicians aren't willing to procure, millions in infrastructure that doesn't currently exist, millions in pollution clean-up before the site is even useable and it's essentially a big empty piece of land that will just turn into a giant asphalt abomination that will be used 8 times a year and a few other events (granted it has a roof, which will make it even more expensive). I don't understand what there is to like about this idea. People keep making the tailgate argument.....waaay overrated in my opinion. If you want to tailgate go to a division 1 college football game or Kansas City or Green Bay. Get plastered and hope you have a DD or risk driving drunk. I'd rather take the light rail or bus to the stadium, hit up a bar or two downtown, go to the game and have some more beers, then leave and hit up a bar or two before taking the light rail or bus home. If I want to have a barbeque I'll invite some friends to my house and fire up the grill in the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Actually this isn't that surprising. Everyone around the world regards this area as the Lunch-bucket, fly-over, bread-basket, awe-schucks midwest.
I'm 99.99% certain that no matter how this stadium debate ends up, the world isn't going to change their mind if they truly think we're just the "lunch-bucket, fly-over, bread-basket, awe-shucks midwest". You really think Wilf's new stadium is going to somehow put us on the map in ways we can't even fathom at this point?

At this point, I really don't care what site. But no matter where it ends up, it isn't changing anything. Either way we'll pay a lot for a stadium to help Wilf bring in more money and us lunch-bucket, fly-over, bread-basket, awe-shucks Midwesterners can just hope that our investment will at some point maybe actually get us a Super Bowl title.

But for now, I think we can all relax.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I'm 99.99% certain that no matter how this stadium debate ends up, the world isn't going to change their mind if they truly think we're just the "lunch-bucket, fly-over, bread-basket, awe-shucks midwest". You really think Wilf's new stadium is going to somehow put us on the map in ways we can't even fathom at this point?

At this point, I really don't care what site. But no matter where it ends up, it isn't changing anything. Either way we'll pay a lot for a stadium to help Wilf bring in more money and us lunch-bucket, fly-over, bread-basket, awe-shucks Midwesterners can just hope that our investment will at some point maybe actually get us a Super Bowl title.

But for now, I think we can all relax.
I'm not expecting any change, but this mess just shows how big of a joke we are. Let's just get it done. We're not on the same page as Fargo, Omaha and Des Moines, so why don't we act like it?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What do you mean personal opinions aside? My opinion is that the stadium should be downtown, and concurrently I also think that DT is a better option.

I was referring to parking, not tickets. In Arden Hills the Wilfs will have a monopoly on parking and will turn the land into a giant paid parking lot. Why do you think they are pushing so hard for that site? It'd obviously be far more lucrative for the owners.

I understand what the plan would involve, but don't agree that it makes more sense than DT Mpls. You can't deny the fact that the infrastructure is already set in place DT. Arden Hills would involve county funds that politicians aren't willing to procure, millions in infrastructure that doesn't currently exist, millions in pollution clean-up before the site is even useable and it's essentially a big empty piece of land that will just turn into a giant asphalt abomination that will be used 8 times a year and a few other events (granted it has a roof, which will make it even more expensive). I don't understand what there is to like about this idea. People keep making the tailgate argument.....waaay overrated in my opinion. If you want to tailgate go to a division 1 college football game or Kansas City or Green Bay. Get plastered and hope you have a DD or risk driving drunk. I'd rather take the light rail or bus to the stadium, hit up a bar or two downtown, go to the game and have some more beers, then leave and hit up a bar or two before taking the light rail or bus home. If I want to have a barbeque I'll invite some friends to my house and fire up the grill in the backyard.
Do you know how much it costs to park in the tailgaiting lots near the dome now? Last year it was $45!. I didn't go this year as my buddy cancelled his season tickets that his law firm has had for decades because we couldn't take going to games in that P.O.S any longer.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
More and more, I think its too bad Shakopee didn't get in the mix earlier on. Lots of space for parking, close to other attractions, the land-owner wants to sell, and its an easy tie-in to existing roads and light-rail. Just too late to the game, for now.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Do you know how much it costs to park in the tailgaiting lots near the dome now? Last year it was $45!. I didn't go this year as my buddy cancelled his season tickets that his law firm has had for decades because we couldn't take going to games in that P.O.S any longer.
Was it the dome that turned you off or the fact that the team seems to have problems winning in recent years? How you going to feel when the find a way to stick you for $90 bucks to tailgate. Be sure they will be looking to do that.

My take is a new dome will be essentially the same experience for the average joe ticket holder. Those that are able to get the high end luxury suites would see a big improvement, but I could really care less about that. Be careful not to get caught up in the media hype if you are the average joe. There is a conscious effort to make people feel the dome is inadequate in many other ways than revenue potential. Realistically it is fine in all ways but increasing revenue.

At the end of the day this issue comes down to NFL+Wilf vs. People of MN. If they really are willing to move the team to get a new dome, it remains to be seen who else will build them a stadium with free money. LA seems to be a possibility, but my guess is the team would have left two years ago if that was a done deal.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Was it the dome that turned you off or the fact that the team seems to have problems winning in recent years? How you going to feel when the find a way to stick you for $90 bucks to tailgate. Be sure they will be looking to do that.

My take is a new dome will be essentially the same experience for the average joe ticket holder. Those that are able to get the high end luxury suites would see a big improvement, but I could really care less about that. Be careful not to get caught up in the media hype if you are the average joe. There is a conscious effort to make people feel the dome is inadequate in many other ways than revenue potential. Realistically it is fine in all ways but increasing revenue.

At the end of the day this issue comes down to NFL+Wilf vs. People of MN. If they really are willing to move the team to get a new dome, it remains to be seen who else will build them a stadium with free money. LA seems to be a possibility, but my guess is the team would have left two years ago if that was a done deal.
100% the dome! I despise the place. Would much rather see an outdoor stadium. No dome. No retractable roof.

I can about guaranty you that the parking price would be less (probably a lot less) in Arden Hills. I am thinking $10-$20.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
100% the dome! I despise the place. Would much rather see an outdoor stadium. No dome. No retractable roof.

I can about guaranty you that the parking price would be less (probably a lot less) in Arden Hills. I am thinking $10-$20.
They are planning a dome stadium are they not? How would that suck less than the current one (unless you get a luxury suite)?

Last edited by Clifford63; 02-08-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
If they build a domeless stadium, the metrodome will continue to exist to have a venue for organizations that use the dome the 360 days of the year that the Vikings are not there.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
They are planning a dome stadium are they not? How would that suck less than the current one (unless you get a luxury suite)?
It's obvious you have never been in the dome for a Vikings football game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota