Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It's obvious you have never been in the dome for a Vikings football game.
I second Ghengis!!

This list of things that could be improved over the current dome is a LOOOONNNNNNGGGG one. I can't think of one positive thing about the current dome. The place totally sucks and has been rated as one of the worst major league sports facilities in the country for any sport.

And no I am not talking luxury suites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If they build a domeless stadium, the metrodome will continue to exist to have a venue for organizations that use the dome the 360 days of the year that the Vikings are not there.
Another reason I think they should look at a cheaper open air stadium. Keep the dome for the indoor events.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Another reason I think they should look at a cheaper open air stadium. Keep the dome for the indoor events.
exactly!

New England's Gillette Stadium also hosts an MSL team, charges $40 for Patriots Parking and was built for $325 Million in 2002, Wikispeedia calls that $397 Million in 2012 dollars, I'm not convinced of that but, even so....

(all pics from Wiki Gillette Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Le_Gillette_Stadium_.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,943 times
Quote:
It's obvious you have never been in the dome for a Vikings football game.
Actually I have been to games at the old met and the dome. I don't like the dome either, but I think it is rather silly to go on about how much the dome sucks, then advocate another dome stadium.

I like the post you made on what they built in Boston. If it works there, it could work here. We are talking 1/3 the cost of proposal in Arden Hills. It does seem difficult to believe it could be built today for $400M though. Still, it does bring a more sane aspect to the entire discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We will never host a Superbowl if we don't have a domed stadium.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We will never host a Superbowl if we don't have a domed stadium.
I thought you were an advocate of the Cold-Home Field advantage? While I go back and forth on this, with all things considered, I would rather we play in another one than host another one.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I'm not expecting any change, but this mess just shows how big of a joke we are. Let's just get it done. We're not on the same page as Fargo, Omaha and Des Moines, so why don't we act like it?
While it's all fine and good to say things like "We're not on the same page as...", what does that even really mean? That because those are cities typically known as boring and because they don't have football teams, those two equate? And so somehow the state wrangling over how to build a stadium with a ~$600 million subsidy makes us one of those boring cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal
If they build a domeless stadium, the metrodome will continue to exist to have a venue for organizations that use the dome the 360 days of the year that the Vikings are not there.
They pretty much determined the Dome would be a total loss if the Vikings left. Upkeep would be far more expensive. So it's pretty much a guarantee that if the Vikings leave, the Dome will be shuttered and eventually destroyed. I'm not necessarily opposed (I am fairly site neutral), but let's not pretend moving it will just magically leave this stadium that everyone thinks is crappy for use for every other event with no consequences.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
...They pretty much determined the Dome would be a total loss if the Vikings left. Upkeep would be far more expensive. So it's pretty much a guarantee that if the Vikings leave, the Dome will be shuttered and eventually destroyed. I'm not necessarily opposed (I am fairly site neutral), but let's not pretend moving it will just magically leave this stadium that everyone thinks is crappy for use for every other event with no consequences.
The operating expenses for the dome run about $10 mil/yr and a majority of that relate to the Viking's operations. During the rescheduling of the dome events last winter/spring after the collapse, 300 baseball games were lost including 40 from the U of M and another 250 from the other small colleges in the area. Seems that keeping it for $5 mil/yr (less a nominal amount of revenue likely realized) would be better use for the site than building a park. Especially when any of those "park" funds could be allocated to the riverfront green-space development that everybody seems to think is long overdue.

I'm sure those baseball teams would prefer the dome with all it's warts than having to travel south and incur those expenses for 2 or 3 months every year.

Besides, it would be a good emergency site just in case a Halloween Blizzard renders Target Field unplayable during the inevitable World Series around the corner. Also, the first few years in Arden Hills will likely result in giant toxic worms or gophers frequently being stirred up and the eradication of such could render that stadium unplayable for a few weeks at a time. In any case, it's always good to have a fall-back plan available.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
I thought you were an advocate of the Cold-Home Field advantage? While I go back and forth on this, with all things considered, I would rather we play in another one than host another one.
Very much a cold field advantage fan, however, the Vikings play 8 days in the dome, out of 365. It's the rest of the year that needs to be considered as well and I agree, we can't sustain 2 stadiums like this, thus the new stadium needs a roof of some kind-retractile or not. If we don't have a domed stadium, Minneapolis loses a LOT of convention type business and while those 8 days are nice for various bars and whatnot in Minneapolis, the convention business is their bread and butter so to speak.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
We need something like Ford Field
http://always****ty.files.wordpress....eld_1_main.jpg
Indoor but alot of windows to let in sunlight
Great for Monster truck shows, NCAA Final Four, Concerts, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota