U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM

10,431 posts, read 8,442,367 times

Advertisements

Time for the Vikings to quit screwing around and at long last acknowledge they will be moving if this doesn't get done, at least this current group of do-nothings can be held accountable later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM

6,745 posts, read 5,551,791 times
Press conference now starting in @GovMarkDayton office where @MayorRTRybak will announce he has City Council support for #Vikings Stadium.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Don't know exactly what this means in the grand scheme of things but just watched the House (near as I can tell this was the committee of fat people with bad skin and hair) meeting on TPT and it looks like they are not supporting the bill even with an amendment to require a Mpls referendum.

My understanding is that although not a deal killer, it signals the beginning of the end for this bill during this session. Hey Viking fans, surfs up at Laguna Beach.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM

109 posts, read 125,824 times
I find the threats of leaving Minneapolis pretty amusing. Anybody who knows anything about the NFL realize that Minneapolis is a VERY important market to be in.

Zygi Wilf will face a harder time with the NFL trying to move the team out of here.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM

3,352 posts, read 7,492,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
I find the threats of leaving Minneapolis pretty amusing. Anybody who knows anything about the NFL realize that Minneapolis is a VERY important market to be in.

Zygi Wilf will face a harder time with the NFL trying to move the team out of here.
I'll second that.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Really it's time to quit the charade that this area can play sports and compete on economic terms with the big boys of the NFL and NBA. Cut your losses and be happy that we got two major league teams to watch that may occasionally be competitive if the stars allign precisely every 20 years or so.

What's foolish is to think the NFL would stand in the way of a move of the lowest ranking team in the league in revenue into the potential afforded of the largest market in the country. Any assumption that we are some sacred cow is a mistake, just ask any of the other cities that have lost teams over the recent past.

It won't be Zygi that makes the move and although the Vikings are actually seeing their value go down each year, the current value of $775 Mil still allows him to make a nice profit above the $600 Million he paid back in 2005. He'll let someone else do the dirty work and rightfully claim they did all they could do to keep the team here.

The new CBA turns off the tap completely that the lower valued/income teams enjoyed via revenue sharing from the big boys over the next 10 years in which they once received $220 million/year. And no longer can a team remain profitable by simply reducing their payroll as the Buffalos and Jacksonvilles have blatantly done recently. Those teams will now be forced to spend at least 89% of the salary cap. These teams will need to look for other means to squeeze revenue, something the Vikings will not have the option of doing at the Dome.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

You're confusing being an owner--and the NFL. NFL makes money two ways--merchandise and tv rights. Minneapolis is a big market for both. Mainly because we represent a larger area than just the twin cities. North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc are active Vikings fans. They are the viewers..i.e. they can sell the programing to Fargo/Mhd market ..and are arguably "hardcore" fans that purchase the merchandise.

Don't quote me..but i believe the Raiders and Jaguars are weakest NFL franchises. I would argue this is due to being in highly competitive multi-market states (California and Florida, respectively).

Zygi is trying to flip the team and is trying to use "political" power of moving the team--which is an empty threat. The NFL will probably pressure him to put more money into the stadium if it comes to that.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You're confusing being an owner--and the NFL. NFL makes money two ways--merchandise and tv rights. Minneapolis is a big market for both. Mainly because we represent a larger area than just the twin cities. North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, etc are active Vikings fans. They are the viewers..i.e. they can sell the programing to Fargo/Mhd market ..and are arguably "hardcore" fans that purchase the merchandise.

Don't quote me..but i believe the Raiders and Jaguars are weakest NFL franchises. I would argue this is due to being in highly competitive multi-market states (California and Florida, respectively).

Zygi is trying to flip the team and is trying to use "political" power of moving the team--which is an empty threat. The NFL will probably pressure him to put more money into the stadium if it comes to that.
Basically wrong on everything you wrote but it is quite funny to try and cast a net over the economic "mite" of several hundred miles of corn and beans and 10 million people with the LA metro poulation of 18 million. It is a fact that Vikings see less on per capita spending ($16/each) of their "fans" than all but two or three teams in the league so you can stow the fallacy about the support that this area provides.

#30 Minnesota Vikings - Forbes.com

meanwhile, things are moving forward in LA where the Vikings are soon to be neighbors with the Lakers, hope the irony of that isn't to obvious to be noticed.

Construction on proposed football stadium in Los Angeles could begin by March 2013 - ESPN Los Angeles

Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't understand why are you are trying to argue apples and oranges. The National Football League is in the business of licensing. The Viking could play at First Avenue--it wouldn't make a difference as long as the Vikings brand stays the same. The NFL could care less about the operating income that you are referencing. The OWNER would care about that. One piece of information that did stand out was the National TV rankings of #4. THAT number the NFL would care about.

Somebody made a good point that the stadium is not trying to add its SEAT count (i.e. black out potential), but rather increasing the operating revenue through premium tickets/seating and food/liquor sales.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,908,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

meanwhile, things are moving forward in LA where the Vikings are soon to be neighbors with the Lakers, hope the irony of that isn't to obvious to be noticed.

Construction on proposed football stadium in Los Angeles could begin by March 2013 - ESPN Los Angeles
People in California seem to think that the Chargers are more likely to move to LA from what I have heard and read. Even the comments on that article talk more about the Chargers than the Vikings. I mostly just hear Minnesotans make up stories about the Vikings moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota