Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM

275 posts, read 332,207 times

Advertisements

Think it will help save the mall? I work in Macy's and at times I am a bit shocked at how dead it is. Many of my co workers seem to think Herbergers will help. They are suppose to be opening a new food court around the Jc Penny's area where the old Arby's used to be, I haven't seen anything there, though.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM

400 posts, read 294,104 times
Save Southdale? Is it imperiled?

Granted, I generally only go there once a year for some Christmas shopping (it brings back nice memories from when it was the closest mall for anyone in the south metro or beyond, back before the Mall of America and even before Burnsville Center), but I don't recall seeing any great number of vacancies, and it's always as busy as most other malls (not the MOA, but that's sort of the gold standard, ya know).

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM

275 posts, read 332,207 times
Many of the stores have closed down, some of the smaller boutiques that recently opened are now closed.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
Many of the stores have closed down, some of the smaller boutiques that recently opened are now closed.
Okay, but how does this compare to normal operating procedure, or to other malls at this point in time? There is store turnover, yes, as always. 'Many'? 'Some'? 'Recently'? How about numbers?

I guess what I'm saying is this:
Is Southdale imperiled? Your post says it needs saving, suggesting it faces imminent (financial) failure. Is it faring worse than other enclosed shopping centers, like Southdale? Is it losing money?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
I've gone to Southdale several times on weekends to see a movie (usually in the evening) and the place can get pretty packed (I'm not just talking about the movie theater...I've also seen the opposite side with decent amounts of cars parked). I'm sure having to compete with other south metro malls doesn't help, but I'm sure the place will survive.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Southdale has had so many ups and downs over the years. Lately, though, it seems to be doing a little bit better -- at least on weekends. There have been (or will be) some new stores opening up , too, like the Michael Kors store down on the first floor. I do think Herbergers will help. Another major tenant will help keep that end of the mall from feeling as dead, and if nothing else, the additional employees will add some life to the mall - and maybe be some additional customers for the new food court?

In any case, I think Herbergers will help. It certainly can't hurt.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 AM

If the brought back the parrot by the main entrance (what was then the main entrance, anyway) that said "Hello!" to all the customers as they passed by, and gave a retro look to the old Garden Court, I'd go back a lot more!

http://kottkegae.appspot.com/images/southdale-mall.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
On the topic of "retro look," I do think Southdale could do a LOT more with its history; I can only imagine that perhaps they think it's better business to pretend to be modern and new, and think that instead of historic, people will think of Southdale as "old" and "outdated." Here they sit, a shopping mall with national significance, and there's NOTHING (that I can find, anyway) inside of it playing up that aspect. Embrace the historic! Declare themselves timeless and enduring! Bring back a little retro kitsch -- people love that these days.

Nearby Southtown does have some big blown-up photos from its early days, and is actively using more retro-looking fonts, etc., which I think gives them at least a little extra appeal; Southtown is still just one big glorified strip mall, but at least it's one with a little character.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 AM

To be fair, Southdale's main court does feature those tall, gold-colored floor-to-ceiling sculptures (right side of the pic below) from the 1960s and 70s, and I think the clock (center, top) might date to that era, too.

But it's too little, it gets swallowed up in the modern look, and it doesn't really fit in any way. Too much white! More colors are needed!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
I would love in Southdale renovated itself to look like it did back when it first opened, but with modern stores. It would be quite lovely, I think. I'd visit it just to take in the aura. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota