U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Paul vs. Des Moines vs. Omaha
St. Paul 15 53.57%
Des Moines 5 17.86%
Omaha 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,397,631 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing alot of threads about Mpls. vs one city or another on the city vs city forum, but what about St. Paul?
Lets say Minneapolis and its suburbs did not exist and the St. Paul metro consisted of Ramsey, Washington and northern Dakota Counties (about 900,000 residents). How would these three cities (metros) stack up against each other?
Excitement, education, colleges, skyline, livability, economy, sports etc.

*I would post this in the city vs city forum, but on a national level I'm not sure it would receive many comments. I'll try to post it in the Iowa forum.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 11-07-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,007,177 times
I grew up near Omaha so I can compare to that.

I don't think you can separate St Paul from Minneapolis when it comes to comparing to other regions because they're so close and form one metro. Omaha is close to Lincoln but not as close and they're two cities. Omaha and Council Bluffs blend together more but Council Bluffs isn't a twin like St Paul and Minneapolis. Omaha doesn't have professional sports but they're rabid in Nebraska about the Cornhuskers. I think their college team has a lot of statewide support that compares more to the Vikings than the Gophers.

I like Omaha, the cost of living is low and it was a good place to grow up. Less snow, that's for sure. I can't judge on the quality of education today as it has been years since I've lived there. Housing is less in Omaha but I think salaries are comparable to the cities so I think it does better in the cost of living comparisons.

Last edited by Kebinminn; 11-07-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM

31,843 posts, read 72,954,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
...but what about St. Paul?
St Paul is the real (and mostly secret) reason for the appeal of Minneapolis.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM

927 posts, read 2,321,070 times
I also grew up in Omaha. It's a great town and I've known a lot of people who prefer it to the Twin Cities due to weather, size, and cost of living. I moved out of Omaha to Minneapolis when I was 9, so my vision of it may be a bit skewed, but I visit family there every year or so... lot's of stuff to do!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,397,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
I grew up near Omaha so I can compare to that.

I don't think you can separate St Paul from Minneapolis when it comes to comparing to other regions because they're so close and form one metro. Omaha is close to Lincoln but not as close and they're two cities. Omaha and Council Bluffs blend together more but Council Bluffs isn't a twin like St Paul and Minneapolis. Omaha doesn't have professional sports but they're rabid in Nebraska about the Cornhuskers. I think their college team has a lot of statewide support that compares more to the Vikings than the Gophers.

I like Omaha, the cost of living is low and it was a good place to grow up. Less snow, that's for sure. I can't judge on the quality of education today as it has been years since I've lived there. Housing is less in Omaha but I think salaries are comparable to the cities so I think it does better in the cost of living comparisons.
I know I know, it is hard to seperate Mpls/St. Paul but we'll just pretend. For instance St. Paul metro would just have the Minnesota Wild Hockey and the St. Paul Saints etc. but just like St. Paul does not officialy have the Gophers (play in Minneapolis), Omaha does not have the Huskers (play in Lincoln).

Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM

812 posts, read 2,007,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I know I know, it is hard to seperate Mpls/St. Paul but we'll just pretend. For instance St. Paul metro would just have the Minnesota Wild Hockey and the St. Paul Saints etc. but just like St. Paul does not officialy have the Gophers (play in Minneapolis), Omaha does not have the Huskers (play in Lincoln).
While the Huskers play in Lincoln people there consider it a state team more like people here think of the Vikings. There's no college team here that comes close to the way Nebraskans feel about the Huskers. I think that as far as civic pride Nebraskans likes the Huskers more than Minnesotans like the Vikings.

There are some minor league teams down there but none have inspired the state like the Cornhuskers.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,980,246 times
Certain Omaha sports fans don't take kindly to being assumed Husker fans, I am not one of them though Go Big Red.

Creighton basketball is top 20 in NCAA attendance.

Creighton baseball is top 10 in attendance.

UNO hockey is top 5 in NCAA attendance.

CWS been here for 60+ years. The city built a new baseball stadium with that event as the main tenant, pretty much unthinkable for most cities.

College sports are really strongly supported in Omaha.

Add that in with the large support that Omaha gives UNL.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 8,618,947 times
Voted Omaha but would probably pick the twin cities due to the better terrain and scenery over having it warmer with just flat farmland around. All 3 are good choices however.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,544,123 times
Omaha is a great town. There are about 800,000 in Omaha proper, so about the size of Minneapolis and St. Paul together. It's very similar to Minneapolis with the river, topography, etc. The zoo there is amazing. Flights out of Omaha are generally less expensive then they are out of the Twin Cities too. If you are a baseball fan, it's a hotbed for baseball. The College World Series is held there every year.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,430,339 times
I voted for St. Paul, but I didn't realize Omaha was so big. I've never been there -- might have to take a trip down there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota