Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,635,281 times

Advertisements

I've been reading research that shows that the Old Farmer's Almanac is more accurate and reliable than your nightly weatherman when it comes to predicting the weather. What makes that most amazing is that the Old Farmer's Almanac predicts the weather a YEAR IN ADVANCE! They were spot on for 2010 while local meteorologist's predictions were the opposite.

Here's the Old Farmer's Almanac's prediction for the rest of this year and for 2010:

NOVEMBER 2011: temperature 28° (avg.); precipitation 1.5" (0.5" below avg.); Nov 1-7: Snow, then sunny, cold; Nov 8-10: Showers, mild; Nov 11-17: Snow showers, then sunny, mild; Nov 18-22: Rain, then snow, turning colder; Nov 23-30: Snow showers; cold, then mild.

DECEMBER 2011: temperature 15.5° (3° above avg. east, avg. west); precipitation 2" (1" above avg.); Dec 1-5: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 6-12: A few rain and snow showers, mild; Dec 13-16: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 17-20: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 21-24: Snow, then sunny, mild; Dec 25-31: Snowy periods, cold.

Annual Weather Summary: November 2011 to October 2012
Winter will be colder than normal, especially in February. Other cold periods will occur in mid- and late December and mid- and late January. Precipitation and snowfall will be below normal in the east and above normal in the west. The snowiest periods will be in early and mid-December, early to mid-February, and mid-March.

April and May will be much cooler and a bit drier than normal.

Summer will be cooler and drier than normal. The hottest periods will occur in mid-July and early August.

September and October will be cooler and drier than normal in most of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM

927 posts, read 2,457,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I've been reading research that shows that the Old Farmer's Almanac is more accurate and reliable than your nightly weatherman when it comes to predicting the weather. What makes that most amazing is that the Old Farmer's Almanac predicts the weather a YEAR IN ADVANCE! They were spot on for 2010 while local meteorologist's predictions were the opposite.
Source?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,085,670 times
Well, so far for MN they are 0-14 days this year .

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
Quote:

Here's the Old Farmer's Almanac's prediction for the rest of this year and for 2010:

NOVEMBER 2011: temperature 28° (avg.); precipitation 1.5" (0.5" below avg.); Nov 1-7: Snow, then sunny, cold; Nov 8-10: Showers, mild; Nov 11-17: Snow showers, then sunny, mild; Nov 18-22: Rain, then snow, turning colder; Nov 23-30: Snow showers; cold, then mild.

DECEMBER 2011: temperature 15.5° (3° above avg. east, avg. west); precipitation 2" (1" above avg.); Dec 1-5: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 6-12: A few rain and snow showers, mild; Dec 13-16: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 17-20: Snow, then sunny, cold; Dec 21-24: Snow, then sunny, mild; Dec 25-31: Snowy periods, cold.

Winter will be colder than normal, especially in February. Other cold periods will occur in mid- and late December and mid- and late January. Precipitation and snowfall will be below normal in the east and above normal in the west. The snowiest periods will be in early and mid-December, early to mid-February, and mid-March.

Summer will be cooler and drier than normal. The hottest periods will occur in mid-July and early August.

September and October will be cooler and drier than normal in most of the region.
Despite their claims of 80% accuracy, I think it's pretty obvious that the reliability of the OFA is comparable to whether or not some celebrity rodent sees his shadow in a small town in Pennsylvania.

So far for November, the avg high in Mpls has been 52 with the avg temp of 42. No signs of winter appearing anytime before Thanksgiving but that much isn't anything out of the ordinary and I don't see anything different for November 2012 (2013, 2014, etc...) either.

I think it's high time we find a younger farmer to present an alternative to this crazy old coot...

Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,631,217 times
Quote:

Wrong.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,123,089 times
We had flurries early in the month and it snowed up north.

We had flurries over night and we are expecting 1-2" tomorrow.
highs in the upper 20's lower 30's

So what is sooo wrong?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,635,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
We had flurries early in the month and it snowed up north.

We had flurries over night and we are expecting 1-2" tomorrow.
highs in the upper 20's lower 30's

So what is sooo wrong?
If people don't see it in their own backyard, they don't believe it. Last year, TV weathermen predicted a "less than average snowfall." The Old Farmer's Almanac predicted a heavier than average snowfall. Guess which one was right?

I didn't say the Old Farmer's Almanac was 100% correct. I said they were more accurate than weathermen. That IS correct. Sorry I can't give you the two articles as a resource, but I found them as I was casually browsing around online. I didn't read them and immediately come here to post. I was reminded of the articles when WCCO gave a weather prediction and we got the complete opposite.

To Ghengis: What I posted from TOFA was NOT a Minneapolis only weather prediction. It's for the whole of Minnesota. Minneapolis is NOT Minnesota.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM

"11-17: Snow showers, then sunny, mild;"
we had flurries then it warmed up to the 40's

"Nov 18-22: Rain, then snow, turning colder"
It rained a little yesterday turning to snow (we got 1/2 of snow)
temps are falling we had a low of 22*f last night.
falling temp this week with snow predicted for Saturday,

It looks to be fairly accurate to me.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,631,217 times
I'm sorry people, but I don't count "SnOW" as light flurries that you can hardly see. I also don't count it as snow unless it sticks to the ground and stays. Otherwise you're talking about tine water molecules in the air .

Last edited by golfgal; 11-17-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM

And if is frozen in to a snow flake it's called snow.

WE have over a inch in the ground.
It can snow before the ground is frozen, it just melts but that is not snow because it didn't stick

It's still snow.

2-4 for tomarrow.
humm I wonder if it counts if it blows away by the high winds to fallow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota