Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times

Advertisements

This is a great article I found on ESPN. Let this be the place of discussion for Minnesota Hockey.

NHL - John Buccigross' education in the Minnesota Wild - ESPN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Gotta give it up for the Wild. They're quietly having a very good season. This is exactly the direction they needed to go in. Mike Yeo is one heck of a Coach.

Still the best Record in the League at 19 - 7 - 3, Yikes....

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Whenever the NHL brings the Winter Classic to Target Field it will be CRAZY. Can't wait, i wonder who we'd play, Jets or Blackhawks im guessing? or maybe Dallas can wear throwback North Star uniforms?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 PM

87 posts, read 192,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Whenever the NHL brings the Winter Classic to Target Field it will be CRAZY. Can't wait, i wonder who we'd play, Jets or Blackhawks im guessing? or maybe Dallas can wear throwback North Star uniforms?
A Winnipeg/MN game on Target field would be insane.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
I bet they'll have to be played at TCF Bank Stadium to handle the crowd

Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Quote:
I bet they'll have to be played at TCF Bank Stadium to handle the crowd
But the only problem with that place is that the U of M's restrictive rules on alcohol sales on events held on their property! This is from what I've heard...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
since it will likely be at couple years until we "earn" one here, they could roll back the roof on the new Zygmund Memorial Stupendous Coliseum...

NHL Winter Classic: Potential Matchups and Sites for 2013 Classic | Bleacher Report

Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times
Gee, a MN Wild thread. The last two I started were CLOSED for no good reason. I wonder how long this one lasts before some yahoo comes in and ruins it with one or two stupid posts...

Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath. They only want big market and original six teams. And of course it doesn't help much since we no longer sell out the X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
TCF.

The stadium is oval shaped - perfect for a hockey rink. I'd personally much rather watch it at TCF but TF would be cool too.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
I guess I can't really make up my mind... I've been wanting the Winter Classic in Minnesota ever since Target Field opened, but I never have thought about TCF. The oval shape definitely would be a better way to view the game. I belive the only thing that would hold back TCF would be the alcohol sales.

The NHL sells this game for TV money and to promote the NHL. It's a hard sell to Suites in NYC to have a hockey game played outside on the cold, white prairie of fly-over country Minnesnowta. Now, try selling Winnipeg against the Wild. ::h I could imagine the laughs in that meeting room::: For the Winter Classic to be good in Minnesota, they'll need superstars, a good story or good teams. The Wild really do have a great chance to be great in the coming years, and they're pretty good now. They don't have any superstars ::now:: but they could with their crop of talent. A great story would be selling Minnesota's Hockey Tradition. ::Maybe team up with 'hockey day Minnesota'::

The past 4 Winter Classics have been in Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and in January will be in Philadelphia :::in their baseball stadium::

Winter Classic: Weather forces NHL to put on night moves
The 2009 NHL Winter Classic - Photo Gallery - SIKIDS.com
Redirect Notice

Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I guess I can't really make up my mind... I've been wanting the Winter Classic in Minnesota ever since Target Field opened, but I never have thought about TCF. The oval shape definitely would be a better way to view the game. I belive the only thing that would hold back TCF would be the alcohol sales.

The NHL sells this game for TV money and to promote the NHL. It's a hard sell to Suites in NYC to have a hockey game played outside on the cold, white prairie of fly-over country Minnesnowta. Now, try selling Winnipeg against the Wild. ::h I could imagine the laughs in that meeting room::: For the Winter Classic to be good in Minnesota, they'll need superstars, a good story or good teams. The Wild really do have a great chance to be great in the coming years, and they're pretty good now. They don't have any superstars ::now:: but they could with their crop of talent. A great story would be selling Minnesota's Hockey Tradition. ::Maybe team up with 'hockey day Minnesota'::

The past 4 Winter Classics have been in Buffalo, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh and in January will be in Philadelphia :::in their baseball stadium::

Winter Classic: Weather forces NHL to put on night moves
The 2009 NHL Winter Classic - Photo Gallery - SIKIDS.com
Redirect Notice
I agree with pretty much all this post. It's been an East Coast thing for Bettman and his crowd for ratings. The Wild surely would be helped if they had Sidney or Alex but I don't see us ever getting such a player any time soon. It doesn't help our cause with our dropping attendance either. Winnipeg/Minnesota would be great as would be Dallas/Minnesota but I don't know about all that, especially since Canada already has the "Heritage Classic" annually. We shall see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota