U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

10,308 posts, read 8,285,512 times

Advertisements

In Minneapolis, just 7 of the first 15 days of December had above normal temps. However, starting tomorrow, 8 of the next 9 days are projected to be above normal before highs in the teens kick in at the end of the month/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,033,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Whats Christmas without snow?
Seriously though if we're gonna have a snowless Christmas lets at least have it sunny and 50 degrees
The radio station here is predicting 53F for a high on Sunday. I have a Christmas party that day, maybe I'll have to wear shorts
And to think, the shortest day of the year is on Thursday already and the days start getting longer from there.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 AM

5,531 posts, read 6,001,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, it's called normal, cyclical weather patterns. We had a very dry fall, and very little moisture in December. With no snow cover on the ground, temperatures are naturally going to be warmer but a few degrees. The snow on the ground keeps temps down in the winter. There have been plenty of winters like this in the past 40+ years and before. I have pictures of my oldest playing outside, in January, in shorts and a t-shirt in the winter of 1996. We were in South Dakota that year, the year the Twin Cities got that major ice storm and their temps were MUCH colder. We didn't have any snow at the time and our temperatures were downright balmy.
Okay......I was just being tongue and cheek, but it looks like you're taking it really personal. Clearly, you are conservative. The world IS warming up though, and scientists (you know, smart people) mostly claim the same. The Polar Ice Shelves are melting extremely fast, and that really doesn't happen due to "heat waves" or "La Ninas". Denying it isn't going to help a thing. Whether people can make a difference or not, it's still not a bad idea to conserve energy and be less wasteful.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,438,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Okay......I was just being tongue and cheek, but it looks like you're taking it really personal. Clearly, you are conservative. The world IS warming up though, and scientists (you know, smart people) mostly claim the same. The Polar Ice Shelves are melting extremely fast, and that really doesn't happen due to "heat waves" or "La Ninas". Denying it isn't going to help a thing. Whether people can make a difference or not, it's still not a bad idea to conserve energy and be less wasteful.
Research this further, most scientists agree that this is normal climate cycles, not anything else. MN has all the lakes it has because it was once covered in ice...

Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 PM

759 posts, read 706,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Research this further, most scientists agree that this is normal climate cycles, not anything else. MN has all the lakes it has because it was once covered in ice...
Exactly, GG...there is a considerable enough number of those "smart people" who dispute the claim altogether of "global warming", argue it is a naturally occurring event, or argue the evidence is inconclusive.

If we want to be something like the "smart people", then we need to look at the supposed Little Ice Age forecasted in the 1970's, look at the Dust Bowl droughts in the 1930's, and look at the discussion regarding repeating cycles of ice ages and warming over thousands of years as opposed to a myopic view of 1, 5 or even 10 years.

Though West's comment wasn't directed specifically at me, I guess I do take it a bit seriously because we have politicians and activists trying to take what would be tongue-in-cheek comments and turn it into government policy to raise taxes, destroy job producing industries, and change our way of life more because of a power kick than anything else.

I agree turning off a not needed light is a good thing but do it because it saves you money on your electric bill, not because Al Gore told us to do it to "save Mother Earth" - while he runs around in private jets and lights up his house audaciously.

In the end, even if we agree this is man-made global warming, free markets and innovative entrepreneurs will work on the problem much better than bureaucracy and taxes to support political agendas.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM

766 posts, read 1,118,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Exactly, GG...there is a considerable enough number of those "smart people" who dispute the claim altogether of "global warming", argue it is a naturally occurring event, or argue the evidence is inconclusive.

If we want to be something like the "smart people", then we need to look at the supposed Little Ice Age forecasted in the 1970's, look at the Dust Bowl droughts in the 1930's, and look at the discussion regarding repeating cycles of ice ages and warming over thousands of years as opposed to a myopic view of 1, 5 or even 10 years.

Though West's comment wasn't directed specifically at me, I guess I do take it a bit seriously because we have politicians and activists trying to take what would be tongue-in-cheek comments and turn it into government policy to raise taxes, destroy job producing industries, and change our way of life more because of a power kick than anything else.

I agree turning off a not needed light is a good thing but do it because it saves you money on your electric bill, not because Al Gore told us to do it to "save Mother Earth" - while he runs around in private jets and lights up his house audaciously.

In the end, even if we agree this is man-made global warming, free markets and innovative entrepreneurs will work on the problem much better than bureaucracy and taxes to support political agendas.
Ok, so the billions of tons of greenhouse gasses that we are pouring into the atmosphere yearly, and the trees that breath in the CO2 that we continue to chop down are having no effect at all on the climate .

Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,001,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post

It's always funny to me how many people BLINDLY think nothing is happening to the world. I know I would never let a politician decide how I should take care of the environment.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM

88 posts, read 66,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Ok, so the billions of tons of greenhouse gasses that we are pouring into the atmosphere yearly, and the trees that breath in the CO2 that we continue to chop down are having no effect at all on the climate .
Considering man made CO2 makes up 5% of the CO2 in the atmosphere it is probably safe to say it has a minimal impact.

Who's Afraid of CO2? | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 923,078 times
Of course the impact isn't minimal - it's measurable, and 5% could be significant if we're in a "tipping the applecart" scenario. We don't know if that's the case, though.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM

766 posts, read 1,118,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Considering man made CO2 makes up 5% of the CO2 in the atmosphere it is probably safe to say it has a minimal impact.

Who's Afraid of CO2? | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA
It's not just that we're making the CO2, it's also that we're destroying many of the plants that take in the CO2. Also, even just a slight increase can make a big difference because it triggers a snowball effect. For example, slightly higher temperatures will cause the permafrost to melt, releasing Methane, a much more potent greenhouse gas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/17/sc...pagewanted=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota