U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

47 posts, read 57,732 times

Advertisements

I read,that Minneapolis is 'city of art'. I was looking for good movies or TV series set up in Minneapolis or Minnesota and found only one movie - Russian movie - not much as for such big city.
Anyway, what you suggest to watch to refer to the city and its atmosphere?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,736,353 times
true story - stuff like this happens every day here

Fargo Trailer - YouTube

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,407,647 times
Juno
Drop Dead Gorgeous
All the Grumpy Old Men movies
Beautiful Girls
Purple Rain
Untamed Heart
The Mighty Ducks
A Prairie Home Companion
A Serious Man

Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,725,069 times
Contagion - that has good bit of Minneapolis in it. Very recent movie.
Coach - Great Series from the past based on fictitious city that seems a lot like Mankato
Mary Tyler Moore - never liked it much
Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier old Men are both pretty good.

A Prairie Home Companion (2006)
North Country (2005)
Purple Rain (1984)
Jingle All The Way (1996)
The Mighty Ducks (1992)

Fargo is the all time classic though. I would also throw in Rocky and Bullwinkle show as one of the all time great cartoons.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,954,516 times
The Big C - showtime series.

New In Town
Drop Dead Fred
Wrongfully Accused
Miracle

Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM

8,656 posts, read 13,949,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Contagion - that has good bit of Minneapolis in it. Very recent movie.
Did you notice how when they were attempting to locate that one guy on the metro transit bus that supposedly he got off at the intersection of Lyndale and Lake, but then when they actually showed where he was it looked like some kind of suburban location? Definitely wasn't Lyndale & Lake.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,761,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Did you notice how when they were attempting to locate that one guy on the metro transit bus that supposedly he got off at the intersection of Lyndale and Lake, but then when they actually showed where he was it looked like some kind of suburban location? Definitely wasn't Lyndale & Lake.
The other location must've somehow been better for the shot.

In Fargo, when Carl and Gaear are driving on 35W, approaching the Twin Cities from Brainerd (on their way to kidnap Mrs. Lundegaard), Carl takes note of the IDS Center and comments on it. Their view of the IDS is from the south, where 35W is about to turn east and run along side 94 briefly before turning north again.

A most unusual route to take from Brainerd to the Cities! But it served the narrative of the film (there's no comparable view on any freeway approach), and only a small percentage of viewers would ever notice the discrepancy, and it's one that has no detrimental impact on the movie.

As for Contagion (to wander off-topic a bit) I thought the setting of the film made it more a frightening film, and I did think it was rather scary aside from the familiar setting of much of it -- it toned down the propagation and effect of the disease. It didn't give it a 90% lethality rate, or suggest that all or even most people would even be exposed to it. If I recall, the numbers in the film (I forget what they were, but I did the simple math while watching it) suggested the death of 3% of the global population within a few months. I found this more effectively provocative than other infectious diseases at the heart of plots with absurd combinations of vectoring and mortality, such as those in The Stand or 28 Days Later (the latter of which I enjoyed immensely, though for different reasons than I enjoyed Contagion).

Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Another Minnesota film:
A Simple Plan

And another Minnesota TV series:
Little House on the Prairie

Though, curiously, the namesake book was set in Kansas, while another Laura Ingalls Wilder book -- On The Banks of Plum Creek -- was set near Walnut Grove. The title of the TV series must've focus-grouped better than the other possible title. Minnesota did pretty well for itself on TV in the 1970s for a flyover state with maybe 2% of the national population -- two of the most acclaimed and popular series of the decade, one a sitcom and one a drama.

Then there are Minnesota novels, I guess the most famous of which would probably be Main Street by Sinclair Lewis.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,341,325 times
"Mall Rats" was filmed at the Eden Prairie Center before the renovations.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
"Mall Rats" was filmed at the Eden Prairie Center before the renovations.
And Jingle All The Way was filmed at the Mall of America. My wife happened to work at each mall as the filming of each respective movie was taking place, and would watch the film crews setting up after closing time in order to film overnight, after hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota