Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 112,341 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any insight about Cook or Tower Minnesota? We are thinking of purchasing property there. How far is it from Ely? Are there any jobs that would keep us in the middle class range-or would we be living off the land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
Well, I can tell you that Tower holds the honor for the coldest temperature ever recorded in Minnesota. Are you ready??
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
60 below! That is actual temperature, NOT windchill!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 AM

As long as I have my quilts and cookstove-absolutely! I grew up in an almost uninsulated farmhouse, had to wear mittens when I did my homework! I was responsible for getting the wood stoves going before my parents got home so the house would be fairly warm.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Ely for business?

I recently was able to visit Ely, which I enjoyed immensely! My husband is a Native American artist and dreams of having his own small gallery. We looked at a few commercial buildings for sale and are wondering if the business turnover there is high? Seemed like there were quite a few buildings for sale. Sure was a cute town though, and surrounding areas are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Property prices are so low up there, I am guessing it is because the economy is significantly lower than down here in the cities?

Old 09-16-2006, 09:52 AM

Ely is kind of an artsy, liberalish, enviornmentally conscious oasis in the northwoods. Property prices are certainly lower than in the cities and elsewhere, but are relatively expensive for the area due to a lot of wealthier folks buying up the lakefront properties. (There are actually several celebrities who own homes up there....it's a real bargain for them compared to the prices of oceanfront or rocky mountain ski resort property!)

The local economy mostly consists of tourism-based operations...resorts, Boundary Waters Canoe Area outfitters, etc. Other "major" employers are mostly in the public sector, i.e., the local community college, government agencies such as the forest service and the DNR...that sort of thing.

I'm no business expert by any means, but I think something like a Native American art gallery might be a reasonable business risk. The Ely area attracts a lot of upscale tourists and "summer" residents (along with the outdoor adventure types), so I would imagine there might be a future there for that sort of thing...people looking to decorate their "cabins" with local art, etc.

That sure does sound like a wonderful way to make a living though...and since you're not scared off by the cold, all the better

Hopefully someone else can give you more specifics of the actual business climate than I can, but I sure do wish you luck!

Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Cook"ing"

Yes, I did notice that the acreage and the lake properties were pretty spendy in Ely, that's why I started checking out other nearby areas such as Cook. You are right about it being Artsy and attracting the rich. All the more reason to have a gallery eh? Who knows, maybe that's not even where God wants us-and just where we want to be! Thanks for the info., it was very helpful! This is a great site.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,617 times
Default Cook MN

Can anyone tell me what Railroad runs through Cook and how frequent trains run? I cannot find it on line other than that it is the Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific Railway Co. I cannot find a website for them. We are looking at a property that looks like the tracks run through the back of the property and want to know if it will be an issue. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM

131 posts, read 616,108 times
kizzie, hope you've been watching the temps in that area. Embarass, down the road from Tower was -30 and in the next few days I'm sure it will be colder.

MidniteBreeze, sure hope you're staying warm.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 PM

131 posts, read 616,108 times
karib, DWP is a subsidiary of Canadian Northern and links Chicago to Winnipeg.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 AM

mudmuffin,

Thanks Yep, it's about -20 outside right now, but I'm nice and cozy inside with my hot coffee and fuzzy slippers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: