U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,117 posts, read 583,116 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
1.) Could you answer once and for all (honestly, preferably) if you are LEGITIMATELY interested in relocating here, or are just starting a "flame" thread, as Southernsmoke suggests? That topic needs to be dropped.

2.) The Twin Cities is "solidly" colder than Chicago. By that, I mean that the average high during Dec, Jan, and Feb is a good 5 degrees or so colder, albeit drier, than Chicago's. The number of days when temps struggle to get above 5 or 10 degrees (my personal definition for "too cold") is probably 10-15 per season, and it stays below 32 degrees for most of Dec-Feb. The rest of the year (Apr-Nov) is essentially the SAME as Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, NYC, Boston, etc. I will note though, that below-freezing temps has one major perk: winter sports. It's certainly a popular thing in MN, but maybe not as much amongst the black population. Either way, everyone living here should consider joining some winter sports activity when they first move here, and learn how to enjoy the "misery"!

3.) As for how "black" or diverse is the Twin Cities, and will you fit in? The metro area is/was projected to have roughly 350K black/African people by 2015 according to one source I saw. Currently, the estimated population is around 300K, meaning the area's black population is growing pretty moderately (and downright "fast" for non-South standards). That population PRIMARILY comes from two different sources (the majority, but not everyone): 1.) the Great Lakes and Midwest cities like Chicago, Gary, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.; and, 2.) East Africa/Horn of Africa, like Ethiopia, Sudan, and/or Somalia, as well as Liberia (West coast of Africa). I'd say the proportion of both, population-wise, in the area is 80:20, but only roughly 10% of the total metro population. There is an equally-sized Hispanic population in the area as well, and a slightly smaller Asian population (mostly Hmong and SE Asian). You could safely assume that 3 out of 10 people in the Twin Cities are not white, but I know that's very different than New Orleans, and especially the black population. Since the origin of the black population in the Twin Cities generally (again, over 50%) comes from more impoverished regions of the country/world, the population here CAN BE more "gritty", "urban", "ghetto", or whatever one wants to consider it. The more "uppity" black people I've met were from Africa, including a good buddy of mine from the Ivory Coast (well educated, dresses well, friendly to anyone/everyone, etc.).

I think you'll fit in very well though, as I think people will really warm up to somebody who is as friendly, outgoing and social as you say you are. Minnesotans can definitely be shier or more reserved by nature, but I think we/they open up more easily to people who are extroverted and open like you sound. Plus, you couldn't pick a better time to join the U of M....there is so much stuff going on with new things popping up and a new train connection between Minneapolis and St. Paul that runs right through the U -- fun times!

If you are planning on relocating here for school I think you'll love it!

P.S. We need somebody to help make the Gophers legitimate basketball contenders again!!

What's a "flame" thread?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,558,952 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What's a "flame" thread?
An online conversation created with the intent of starting a heated argument.

"Trolling".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Austin Texas
723 posts, read 400,959 times
Reputation: 1266
To me, the winters in Chicago are worse only because they are wetter and windier. A "wet" cold cuts through me much more than the "dry" cold of Minnesota.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM
 
20,805 posts, read 29,355,423 times
Reputation: 9774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
To me, the winters in Chicago are worse only because they are wetter and windier. A "wet" cold cuts through me much more than the "dry" cold of Minnesota.
I would agree with this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
 
25,348 posts, read 20,398,858 times
Reputation: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
To me, the winters in Chicago are worse only because they are wetter and windier. A "wet" cold cuts through me much more than the "dry" cold of Minnesota.
Someone like me would like a Minneapolis winter better than a Chicago winter. My father says Minneapolis is different because of the drier air in relation to Milwaukee and Chicago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,117 posts, read 583,116 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
To me, the winters in Chicago are worse only because they are wetter and windier. A "wet" cold cuts through me much more than the "dry" cold of Minnesota.
I've lived most of my life on the East Coast (primarily Philly but also B-more and worked in D.C.) and have been in Alaska for the last 9+ years.

The drier air makes a huge difference.

Up here in AK, you can layer up and stay warm enough to be outside for an extended time in the winter.

Back East, it doesn't matter how many layers you put on because that cold, humid air will cut through like a knife in just a few minutes.

The only thing worse in IMHO is hot, humid air........without A/C.

The horror, the horror........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,491,791 times
Reputation: 2206
^I agree. Here in Cleveland the wet air off the lake feels like a bucket of ice water thrown on you! I too cannot handle humid heat without A/C, although last summer I had to learn how to because living with my inlaws who don't "like" A/C was pretty warm!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
 
109 posts, read 110,862 times
Reputation: 57
As far as making friends as a Black man in college - you won't have a problem. The complaints about Minnesota is that they only stick with their High School friends...that statement can be expanded to include their college friends too. After college, you are "out of luck" in Minnesota. Its a very weird idea..but there is a lot of truth to that. With that said, I hear that about a lot of different places around the U.S.

U of MN is a great school - you'll find all the Blacks will be from another state--you won't feel out of place at all. When you start dating ugly White girls--you will know you have "transitioned" into the Minnesota culture : )
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
 
25,348 posts, read 20,398,858 times
Reputation: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
As far as making friends as a Black man in college - you won't have a problem. The complaints about Minnesota is that they only stick with their High School friends...that statement can be expanded to include their college friends too. After college, you are "out of luck" in Minnesota. Its a very weird idea..but there is a lot of truth to that. With that said, I hear that about a lot of different places around the U.S.

U of MN is a great school - you'll find all the Blacks will be from another state--you won't feel out of place at all. When you start dating ugly White girls--you will know you have "transitioned" into the Minnesota culture : )
What??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,558,952 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
As far as making friends as a Black man in college - you won't have a problem. The complaints about Minnesota is that they only stick with their High School friends...that statement can be expanded to include their college friends too. After college, you are "out of luck" in Minnesota. Its a very weird idea..but there is a lot of truth to that. With that said, I hear that about a lot of different places around the U.S.
There is some truth to the fact that many people keep in touch with classmates from various levels of school, but I would guess that half of my friends in MN are friends of such friends, with a few from work or from other friends' workplaces. You aren't out of luck, but you *do* have to be interesting enough to be worth getting to know. In my case, that isn't all that difficult.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top