U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 AM

15 posts, read 51,208 times

Advertisements

If you were moving to the state what are the best places to live ,work, schools, and homes with lots of trees and land.

Last edited by simplefamily; 09-13-2007 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: wrong state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 54,853,806 times
Well, you can find those things all over the state. What type of work are you looking for, that might narrow it down some.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM

county or city jobs some thing with good pay

Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,834,748 times
I would prefer up north (esp. along the Superior shore) or along the Mississippi between The Cities and La Crosse because they are so naturally beautiful. The prairie areas around Mankato and New Ulm are also quite nice.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 12,220,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefamily View Post
If you were moving to the state what are the best places to live ,work, schools, and homes with lots of trees and land.

Check out Stillwater, Lake Elmo, Afton, Denmark township on the east side and the Minnetonka area on the west side.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 PM

5,935 posts, read 14,292,949 times
Quote:
county or city jobs some thing with good pay
I've heard that county and city jobs pay quite well in Duluth and St Louis County. Couple that to the area's relatively low cost of living (compared to MSP), I'd expect you'd find real value there.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 AM

thank you all for you'r info , I'm also looking at weather like snow dose it snow a good bit or not really? I also hear that is ruff up north were there are a lot of rez's ? is that true or not ?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 AM

214 posts, read 633,543 times
It's so cold the manufacturers test batteries up there, and it dose snow.

There is competition for city and state jobs, you have to take tests and be graded. Look at websites, there may not be any jobs available.

An important consideration is whether you will be applying for any type of financial assistance. If you are, you will be better off staying in the TC areas where the democrats are more forgiving of (what they call) the gimmie gang, than the democrats in northern minnesota are, and where someone from the rez might get you.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:29 PM

143 posts, read 420,125 times
Quote:
thank you all for you'r info , I'm also looking at weather like snow dose it snow a good bit or not really? I also hear that is ruff up north were there are a lot of rez's ? is that true or not ?
It snows but, it actually seems to get less and less each year. Most of the cities and even small communities are excellent with snow removal though so, driving is rarely a problem. You still have to shovel the driveway though.

As far as the Reservations go, most of the time you wouldn't even realize you were on or near one. I've heard the one that's way up north and is considered a Closed Rez is something you might want to stay away from but otherwise, having a Reservation nearby is not a concern. In Carlton County, the Reservation is actually the largest employer.

Cost of living, small town atmosphere, low crime rates and importance of family/children are all good reasons to move further north.
Access to cultural events, mass transit, high wages and a Big City feel are reasons to stay closer to the Twin Cities area.
Schools are relatively good in any part of the state.
There probably more 'wide open space' up north.

A lot depends on what your interests are. If you are outdoor enthusiasts, then up north is a good choice.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:52 PM

571 posts, read 2,319,385 times
More trees and (affordable) land up north, for sure. We have a 3-bedroom home on a densely forested acre (or so) of land and paid significantly less than what you would pay for a "cookie cutter" house in some soul-crushing "devlopment" in the cities. Of course the big drawback is it's much harder to find a decent-paying job up here. We moved here after I landed a job in the area, but it took my husband 3 years to find a permanent job in his field. Now that we're both gainfully employed in this beautiful, quiet, low crime, low stress community outside of the rat race, we feel very fortunate...but it did require some patience on our part.

Of coure in northern Minnesota, long, cold winters are part of the deal. Yes, it snows here, but it does vary from year to year. (Last winter our local economy took a hit due to lack of snow and thus, lack of vacationing snowmobilers.) Generally speaking, the further north you go, the snowier/colder it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or