Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,684 times

Advertisements

Hey you guys I'm just here to post that for those Minnesota Vikings fans out there, we will have a protest at the steps of the state capitol on Monday 4/23 at 11am.

Here's the Facebook picture posted by multiple Vikings fanpages.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,684 times
Here's the updated picture

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,840,810 times
I don't think ONE person is against the Vikings, but people ARE against subsidizing billionaires, including me (and I consider myself a die-hard Vikes fan!). I'll pay much more than my fair share to keep the Vikings here, but I can't expect the average citizen to fork over EVEN more for something that, frankly, is far less important than roads, medicare, or schools.

I hope the stadium gets built, but in the right way and for the right reasons.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,821,892 times
Generally agreed with West336. Though West didn't exactly put it this way, "Vikings Fans" (as Dave is seeming to define them) are more than welcome to put your money where your mouth is and get "Vikings Fans" to pay for your own desires and toys.

What Dave appears to be advocating is that everyone, regardless of their interest or lack thereof in the Vikings, should be compelled by law to live their lives and work their jobs for the benefit of "Vikings Fans" who do not want to pay for their own leisure activities or material goods.

In a somewhat different context, compelling others to work and provide you something you don't want to work for would be considered slavery.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM

198 posts, read 482,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'll pay much more than my fair share to keep the Vikings here, but I can't expect the average citizen to fork over EVEN more for something that, frankly, is far less important than roads, medicare, or schools.
Doesn't the stadium bill, as currently constituted, have electronic pull tabs as its funding source? Don't play don't pay. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM

988 posts, read 1,821,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Generally agreed with West336. Though West didn't exactly put it this way, "Vikings Fans" (as Dave is seeming to define them) are more than welcome to put your money where your mouth is and get "Vikings Fans" to pay for your own desires and toys.

What Dave appears to be advocating is that everyone, regardless of their interest or lack thereof in the Vikings, should be compelled by law to live their lives and work their jobs for the benefit of "Vikings Fans" who do not want to pay for their own leisure activities or material goods.

In a somewhat different context, compelling others to work and provide you something you don't want to work for would be considered slavery.
As I re-read my post, I should clarify that the above comments were not putting West into the same boat. West did say he would pay for keeping the Vikings here, which I have no problem if private entities want to pay or contribute towards a private desire - let the free market prevail. My problem is all these people who talk about how desperately we NEED the Vikings here, but then it's not important enough to truly put their money where their mouth is. I remember then Gov. Ventura setting up the fund to privately fund a stadium back in the day. It may well have been a bit of grandstanding, but interesting few people found it worthwhile to actually contribute when it was THEIR money - no problem spending other peoples money, however...

On the comment regarding electronic pull tabs. If the only step the State has to do is legalize them and then private entities invest the money to install them, operate them, and raise the money upfront for the full cost of the stadium and needed associated materials, so be it. Once the State becomes banker or guarantor to a loan, you and I are basically compelled to live our lives and work our jobs for the sake of another person.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,926,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
Doesn't the stadium bill, as currently constituted, have electronic pull tabs as its funding source? Don't play don't pay. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

NVEExport.mpg - YouTube

Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,647,042 times
Get it done already.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,657,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
You're wrong. Anybody who makes a taxable purchase in the city of Minneapolis pays. The proposal includes $150m in sales tax.

Also, to call it a "protest" is laughable.

Last edited by Globe199; 04-22-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,926,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You're wrong. Anybody who makes a taxable purchase in the city of Minneapolis pays. The proposal includes $150m in sales tax.

Also, to call it a "protest" is laughable.
interesting, care to provide the link that supports your contention that the Minneapolis funding is coming from a city-wide sales tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota