Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you familiar with the tradition of taking the bride or groom out to a local bar during the weddi
Yes, and it's happened at most weddings I've been to 12 32.43%
Yes, it happens at some, but not most, weddings 7 18.92%
Yes, but it doesn't happen at any of the weddings that I attend 1 2.70%
Not really, but I vaguely recall hearing of it 5 13.51%
No, I've never heard of it 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
must be a local thing, never heard of it in eastern WI but they do plenty of drinking there. This occurs during the reception when people are sitting and waiting? Sounds like fun for the bride, not so for the people attending. Unless it was my son or daughter getting married, once it went beyond 30-45 minutes of waiting.... must be a small town thing.
It usually happens at the reception, after the dinner, when people are disco dancing to whatever the DJ is playing.

However, at weddings I've been to, it's been common for the wedding party to disappear between the ceremony and the reception to go to a local bar. At such a party, here would be your schedule:

3:00 Wedding
4:00 Wedding over. Talk with people outside church, etc.
4:45 Begin driving to reception
5:00 Reception begins, sitting and waiting
5:30 Wedding party arrives, hors d'ouerves
6:00 Dinner begins, speeches made
7:00 First dance, open bar, etc.
7:45 Free dancing, conversations, etc.
11:00 Go home.

Here would be what the bride does:

3:00 Wedding
4:15 Drive in limo with the rest of the wedding party to local bar
4:25 Arrive at local bar with wedding party
5:15 After some champagne, drive with wedding party to reception
5:30 Wedding party arrives at reception
6:00 Wedding dinner, hear your elegy
7:00 Dance with dad / groom / dollar dance
8:49 "Kidnapped" to local bar
10:06 Arrive back at wedding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM

256 posts, read 664,236 times
Yeah, it happens a lot here in Central, MN. As another poster said, it might be fun for the wedding party, but everyone else gets really tired of sitting around waiting for the reception to start. The longest time I've seen people wait is about an hour and a half, then they all came back drunk. Classy.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I'd never heard of it before reading about it on this forum some time back, but when I asked some friends and relatives a few of them said that yes, they were familiar with the tradition, and thought it was a small town MN thing. I grew up in the Twin Cities and have attended a bunch of Twin Cities weddings, and have never heard of it happening there.

If you have access to a database like JSTOR you could run a search to see if anyone has written an academic article on the topic -- seems like the perfect topic for some MN-based anthropology professor or grad student, since it does seem to be very localized. (sort of like duck-duck-gray-duck. Or meat raffles, which I had also never heard about until recently.)

Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
It's definitely a rural MN thing. I'd never heard of it until my wife was in a wedding just after college.
There are two ways I've seen it done:

1. Bridal party steals the groom and they go to a bar. Grooms party steals the bride at the same time and they go to a different bar. This is how my own wedding worked. I haven't seen this in a long time. It's definitely a rural thing.

2. The entire wedding party takes off in a limo and goes to a bar between the wedding and reception. This is more common, and has been the norm in every wedding I've ever been in. Time can be from a half hour to 2-3 hours.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,268 times
All 4 weddings I've attended in Fargo/Moorhead have had this happen. As a guest, it is "kind of" annoying, especially if you don't know many other guests and are waiting an hour for the reception to begin. BUT, the wedding party always seems to have a glorious time, so I'm all for it.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
Yeah, it happens a lot here in Central, MN. As another poster said, it might be fun for the wedding party, but everyone else gets really tired of sitting around waiting for the reception to start. The longest time I've seen people wait is about an hour and a half, then they all came back drunk. Classy.
One wedding the guests really got upset because the "instigator" of stealing the bride was the bride's old " flame "

After leaving the guests sit 2 hours. the bride and her ex-boyfriend arrived, drunk and laughing.

I truly felt sorry for the groom and the groom's family !

Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM

161 posts, read 278,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
One wedding the guests really got upset because the "instigator" of stealing the bride was the bride's old " flame "

After leaving the guests sit 2 hours. the bride and her ex-boyfriend arrived, drunk and laughing.

I truly felt sorry for the groom and the groom's family !
This sounds like a lovely way to get a not so nice name applied to oneself, especially in a small community.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
there's always women that any sensible guy would not consider marriage material. There's two at work that go through boyfriend pretty fast... they consider themselves 'fun' ... Just gotta be careful who you marry if you get married.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you have access to a database like JSTOR you could run a search to see if anyone has written an academic article on the topic -- seems like the perfect topic for some MN-based anthropology professor or grad student, since it does seem to be very localized. (sort of like duck-duck-gray-duck. Or meat raffles, which I had also never heard about until recently.)
Thank you! I grew up in wester Wisconsin and learned "Duck-duck-gray-duck." My husband and his family make great fun of this.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM

161 posts, read 278,436 times
Kind of off topic but I looked up duck duck gray duck and I think this is awesome. One of the neat things about moving around the country is coming across variations like this to games or standard traditions. Here in NW lower MI for example when a person is being buried the ride between the church and cementary will include a drive by of the deceased's home. Never heard of that before until I moved here and I have lived in 3 other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: