U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM

580 posts, read 1,631,665 times

Advertisements

(I mean I live in Michigan, very close to International Falls.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,646 posts, read 3,889,581 times
Default Are you serious ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
(I mean I live in Michigan, very close to International Falls.)
Michigan is *not* very close to International Falls. Are you sure you know where you live???

Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 PM

242 posts, read 821,266 times
I wish my sister would get out of the town already. She'll be going to school in Duluth in the fall and is perfectly content with staying in the Falls for a while. I have no idea where she'll ever find a job up there. Even my mother doesn't have much holding her in place since her mother passed. I'm hoping I can get everyone to move my way.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM

14,991 posts, read 10,742,224 times
I don't think I could handle the cold personally.. I can barely handle it here in Brookings, SD where it's gets down to -15 several times a winter at night.. up there it's routinely below zero for long stretches of time in the winter, getting down to -20 or colder is common.

That area in North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, stretching down into eastern South Dakota and Western Minnesota is basically the coldest part of the country. The canadian air just sits here and doesn't want to move away very much.. it's normal enough in the summer though.

At least in Western South Dakota and Montana, though they have their cold spells, it's much warmer out and gets warm much more often. You can basically see where the bubble of cold air sits all winter by looking at this map...

I'd like to get out of eastern SD because of the excessive cold, and might eventually. Rapid City, SD and westward have much more moderate winters, that is to say, they tend to have more warm spells mixed in with the cold spells, especially into southern/western montana.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-19-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,268 times
Thumbs up From International Falls

Can't let all the negative comments go by without an argument. I'm a midwesterner, and had to suffer 10 long years in the suburbs of Southern California. I moved to International Falls in January of 2007, and though I was used to the cold weather due to my upbringing, I have never been happier. The people are friendly! They are dedicated to this small oasis of a town. The community leadership is proactive, continually, and are very welcoming. There are inexpensive, quality homes available for families. It is quiet outside, with the bluest skies, unclouded by pollution. NO traffic! If you really must shop, shop, shop then you will need to drive awhile. For me, it is a GREAT spot!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 PM

305 posts, read 960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I dont live in Michigan, very close to International Falls. I've heard about living there and its dreadful. Its not excitment, shopping is a failure, while outside nature is a must. If you like to camp year around... just a plane nature girl you still may not even like it there. Let me wrap this statement up... International Falls is a nice place to visit, but living is not a good option. I mean come on, its probaly only on the map because its so cold there in the winter. Its not family friendly, not because of the education but because of the diversity and climate. I would consider you to move to Michigan, its way better here and we get all the seasons. If you like snow Michigan is the place, we get extra snow due to lake effect snow. Its family friendly although our economy is bad now it should get better. Just come to Michigan its great here!

Now seriously why would anyone want to live in Michigan if they can have Minnesota? I have lived in Minnesota my whole life and I love the whole state. Sure its a bit chilly but hey grab a few extra blankets or throw on an extra layer of clothes. I would advise anyone moving from the south up to the falls if you dont like cold weather may not be a good place. Check it out first. My 2 cents.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM

563 posts, read 991,635 times
Default moved to I.Falls area

Moved up here in May '07 from Lake Superior area. WHY, is now hard to say. I don't like it here mainly because this place has sucked the spirit out of me. Nothing to do with the weather - I am used to worse in the Duluth area. It is because no one would hire me. I answered ads, I am a good and loyal worker, BUT I am not from around here and I don't have any relatives from here therefore I am not allowed to work here. This is the first place where I didn't have several jobs offers in a short period of time. And don't even bother calling and visiting as a follow-up - that's when I think you really get blacklisted around here. International Falls and Littlefork - yuck!! And yes, I am going to leave soon so don't tell me how I should. That's all I had to get off my chest. There are a lot of people, who like me, tend to romanticize situations and even do their best to get along and start a new life which doesn't always work. I WILL REMAIN OPTIMISTIC AND RETURN TO A REAL LIFE SOON. You locals can have your stinky town. Oh yeah, it stinks from the paper mills (one in U.S. and one in Canada) and don't let anyone convince you that you'll get used to it. The stores on main street have that permenant smell of poo-poo and so do places like the library. Anyway, gotta go.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 PM

82 posts, read 355,176 times
I spent just a summer up there working and i found it very desolate and depressing. I can't really even put my finger on why, even with the tourists there, it seemed like a ghost town, and coming from a town of 155 in north central MN, even the idea of a temporary populous seemed exciting to me. But I certainly didn't find I'falls exciting. It just seemed so far from the rest of the world, such a loooong drive to Duluth, even to Virginia. But that is just me, some people enjoy that kind of solitude, and its remoteness is a perfect fit for them, especially if you are into the outdoors.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 PM

242 posts, read 821,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
Moved up here in May '07 from Lake Superior area. WHY, is now hard to say. I don't like it here mainly because this place has sucked the spirit out of me. Nothing to do with the weather - I am used to worse in the Duluth area. It is because no one would hire me. I answered ads, I am a good and loyal worker, BUT I am not from around here and I don't have any relatives from here therefore I am not allowed to work here. This is the first place where I didn't have several jobs offers in a short period of time. And don't even bother calling and visiting as a follow-up - that's when I think you really get blacklisted around here. International Falls and Littlefork - yuck!! And yes, I am going to leave soon so don't tell me how I should. That's all I had to get off my chest. There are a lot of people, who like me, tend to romanticize situations and even do their best to get along and start a new life which doesn't always work. I WILL REMAIN OPTIMISTIC AND RETURN TO A REAL LIFE SOON. You locals can have your stinky town. Oh yeah, it stinks from the paper mills (one in U.S. and one in Canada) and don't let anyone convince you that you'll get used to it. The stores on main street have that permenant smell of poo-poo and so do places like the library. Anyway, gotta go.

The job market isn't exactly hopping up there right now. Where have you tried to apply? I might be able to tell you who to talk to regarding employment. I do know that a lot of places are under a hiring freeze because the way the economy is acting right now.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 PM

563 posts, read 991,635 times
Default I.Falls ghost town feel

Oh my "taysantanamama", you hit the nail right on the head!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota