Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 21,268 times

Advertisements

We're in Louisiana, and thinking about relocating to International Falls Minnesota. Looking for some info. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 AM

443 posts, read 2,127,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygiantsquid View Post
We're in Louisiana, and thinking about relocating to International Falls Minnesota. Looking for some info. Thanks

I've never been there but have never heard of anyone not liking it. From what I've heard it can get colder then MNPLS/ST PAUL area? I found this:

Moving up there soon to be in God's country | International Falls Daily Journal (http://www.ifallsdailyjournal.com/node/438 - broken link)

Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM

26 posts, read 187,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
I've never been there but have never heard of anyone not liking it. From what I've heard it can get colder then MNPLS/ST PAUL area? I found this:

Moving up there soon to be in God's country | International Falls Daily Journal (http://www.ifallsdailyjournal.com/node/438 - broken link)

I dont live there, but I can say that I-Falls is DEFINITELY colder than the Twin Cities. It isn't even close.....all the border country area, the Quetico-Superior and the Rainy Lake region is a completely different climate than southern, central, and even parts of northern MN. It's not just about getting colder, or warmer, the climate itself is different.

It's helpful to look at that region as being part of the same climate as much of northwest Ontario, a boreal climate because that's what it really is. Long cold winters, with short, but normally beautiful summers. It's part of the Canadian shield, so very, very different part of the state.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times
I used to go there on business a lot. One thing you can say about it, it is very isolated. There are no towns of over 1,000 people within 100 miles of the place (except Ft Francis across the Canadian border). I drove up there once in December. The temp was -14 zero, and the sun started going down at 3:30. Shortly out of Virginia, MN I lost all radio signals on my car radio, except for one Canadian station playing Christmas carols in French! (When I go closer to I.F., I was able to pick up their local station, though). hungarygiantsquid, to give you a comparison, it reminded me somewhat of the time I drove down to Grand Isle, LA from NOLA. Not the scenery, but the sense of driving to the edge of the earth.

About 10 years ago, the Koochiching County Board authorized free land to anyone who would come up and homestead. I don't recall that they had many takers. Still, it is very beautiful up there and the isolation makes it more special in some ways. I recall sitting in the dining room at the Island View resort one summer drinking a beer, gazing out on the Rainy River and listening to the loons. My view: a great place to move to for the right person, but most couldn't handle it.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM

102 posts, read 466,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygiantsquid View Post
Wow....

I've been there....nice scenic if you don't work for Boise Cascade or the Hospital what to do...

Old 09-25-2007, 06:40 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,207 times
Hi,

I have friends who lived up there for a few years, so I might be able to give you an idea of what it's like. Yes, it gets very cold in the winter (they don't call it "the icebox of the nation" for nothing!) and it's very isolated. The nearest Wal-Mart is across the Rainy River in Canada. As mentioned above, Virginia is the next biggest thing and it's about 100 miles to the south. The nearest "big" city is Duluth, which is another hour or so past Virginia. To the east is mostly wilderness (Voyagers Nat'l Park and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness). To the west there's really nothing until Baudette, which is another small, isolated border town.

Major employers include the paper mill (Boise Cascade), the hospital, the Rainy River Community College and the school district. There's not a whole lot in the way of shopping...they have a K-mart, a Menards (kind of like a Home Depot) a couple of grocery stores, some touristy shops, etc. Basically if you're looking for a place with lots of "culture", shopping, nightlife, etc., I-falls is NOT your place! (As mentioned above, there's not much on the radio...I would definitely recommend getting satellite radio or at least having a good stash of CD's in your car!)

On the other hand, if you like the outdoors, especially water-based activities like fishing, canoeing, boating, etc, then you really couldn't pick a better place. Snowmobiling, 4-wheeling, x-country skiing, hunting and ice fishing are also popular activities.

With the exception of fancy waterfront properties, real estate is quite a bit cheaper than the national average...so if you have a decent income, you'll have more money to spend on all those "toys" that make living in the north woods more fun

Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM

242 posts, read 850,684 times
I'm from there. Just left there on Tuesday.

As others have said, there really isn't much to do up there. However, it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I spent Sunday tooling around Rainy Lake on my uncle's pontoon boat checking out all of the fall colors. It was great, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

It would be very difficult to live there without a good job and unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of jobs. If you can deal with living in a very small and friendly town and don't mind driving a bit to do some decent shopping then it could be a place suited for you.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 33,819 times
I spent the first eighteen years of my life in the Falls (graduated in 2001), and take it from me, it is not a pleasant place to live unless you are very wealthy and live only to go fishing. The people up there tend to be very snobby and exclusive as to who they will spend time with (ie. Only the rich need apply) and the school system is absolutely terrible. There are drugs EVERYWHERE, since it is on the border, and getting a job is difficult. I went back earlier this year to visit my brother, and from what I saw, the town is falling apart even more than it was before- the whole thing looks like a slum. (Of course, the wealthy live miles and miles out of town in their massive lake homes...) The weather basically sucks, and there is literally nothing cultural or educational to do up there, unless you consider a tiny museum for a dead hockey player to be cultural.

And I really can't express just how abysmally stupid the people up there are. I used to read quite often, and I don't know how many times I had the conversation, "What are you doing?" "Reading a book." *long pause* "But... why?"

If you have children or are thinking about having them, I'd really advise you to think about moving somewhere else. Binge drinking, sex, and drugs among young teenagers are a way of life up there, the schools suck and are very, VERY closed-minded towards anyone at all different. Even if you don't have kids, please consider moving somewhere else, for your own sake.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 15,493 times
Default Oh, dear god...

I agree with everything Mergath said! I live here currently and, though it may be a beautiful place to visit, it is not the kind of place you want to live in. My parents both have degrees, and I am telling you now, these are extremely rare. The school system is terrible; we currently have two AP classes, one of which is soon to be cut. People are so terribly ignorant and closed-minded. The only languages available are Spanish (up to 2), and Ojibwe (which has no standing in major colleges). We get days off for hunting and fishing! The emphasis is obviously on sports, not academics. I am one of the few Democrats here (if that matters to you), and several people have already shunned me because of it. There is NO culture here, other than indigenous culture, which is not helpful in the real world (let's face it). No public facilities (including the school system) have enough money to provide what they should.

Jobs are few and of bad quality. Unless you work for United Healthcare or the mill, you are going to be a waitress or waiter. Both of the hours at these places are sporadic, the pay is very low, and the majority of my friends/family's friends that have applied to Boise have been turned down due to "over-qualification" (they have college degrees). Boise leaves a nice smog through the town, which gets worse on humid days; and it leaves the nicest smell, let me tell you.

If you are moving here to retire, living the life of a hermit on the lake, then it might be a nice place to live. I've heard great things about the Ranier Country Club. Otherwise, please, please, don't come here. Please.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,675,327 times
I dont live in Michigan, very close to International Falls. I've heard about living there and its dreadful. Its not excitment, shopping is a failure, while outside nature is a must. If you like to camp year around... just a plane nature girl you still may not even like it there. Let me wrap this statement up... International Falls is a nice place to visit, but living is not a good option. I mean come on, its probaly only on the map because its so cold there in the winter. Its not family friendly, not because of the education but because of the diversity and climate. I would consider you to move to Michigan, its way better here and we get all the seasons. If you like snow Michigan is the place, we get extra snow due to lake effect snow. Its family friendly although our economy is bad now it should get better. Just come to Michigan its great here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota