Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

I say we get rid of these stupid blue laws
New Poll: Minnesotans Favor Sunday Liquor Sales | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul
What does everyone else think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
I don't see any reason that Sunday sales should be prohibited. If a particular store wishes to be closed because they fear low sales, what stops them?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Yep, agreed. It frustrates me nearly every Sunday. Regardless of where you live, this is getting old. The whole "no beer or wine until 12:00 noon thing is annoying also. But that may just be Texas.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Yep, agreed. It frustrates me nearly every Sunday. Regardless of where you live, this is getting old. The whole "no beer or wine until 12:00 noon thing is annoying also. But that may just be Texas.
if I really need a drink before noon I'll go up to the church where they have free wine tastings. I could do without the stale cracker but if you keep going to the back of the line you can get a pretty good buzz on.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Yes, I think the law should stay in place. In fact, I think all unnecessary Sunday sales should be forbidden by law, other than traditional Sunday family pastimes (e.g. restaurants, taco stands, and amusement parks could be open, among other things). We have forgotten that Sunday is a day of rest, and too many people in our society are forced to work on Sunday by economic necessity. Having an official day of rest benefits society, and not just religiously.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
We can debate the merits of a day of rest, both religiously and otherwise, but why should the employees of the restaurants, taco stands, amusement parks be expected to work if everyone else has a day of rest? I'm not following the disconnect of "day of rest" but certain people should be expected to work.

As far as the question goes - the libertarian in me says allow it and make it a private, voluntary decision. Allowing Sunday sales does not mandate it, just leaves the decision in the hands of individuals. The Christian (or even the "one who wistfully looks to a simpler time") in me thinks it's not the worst thing in the world to take a day off. Do I really need a drink on Sunday?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
You can drink at home or in restaurants. Plan ahead..... or move closer to Wisconsin! . Plus, the prices at the liquor stores will go up to cover one more day of overhead without any real increase in sales. I'd rather buy my Sunday beer and brats on Saturday and relax on Sunday.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post

Michigan had that too until recently. Silly.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
The Sunday thing doesn't bother me too much, but I do wish you could get (real) beer and wine in grocery stores. I never realized how annoying that was until I lived for a few years in a state where alcohol is sold in grocery stores and gas stations.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes, I think the law should stay in place. In fact, I think all unnecessary Sunday sales should be forbidden by law, other than traditional Sunday family pastimes (e.g. restaurants, taco stands, and amusement parks could be open, among other things). We have forgotten that Sunday is a day of rest, and too many people in our society are forced to work on Sunday by economic necessity. Having an official day of rest benefits society, and not just religiously.

I agree about not forcing people to work to the bone if they don't want too which is why I'd support legislation to make overtime optional only, meaning a person can't get fired just for not working it, but some people such as myself would rather work Sunday and have the days off during the week, so I wouldn't mind having liquor sales on Sunday, seems like an old fashioned law... on the other hand it's not that hard for people to prepare ahead of time and buy their alcohol on Saturday either, so I don't really care.

The particular town in which I live used to restrict wine sales to their city owned liquor store, that is no longer the case and now both grocery chains in town stock it. Bottom line, more social freedoms are better than less. Coming from a guy who thinks all 'illegal' drugs should be decriminalized, it's not a far stretch to say I don't care if alcohol is sold Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota