Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 AM

143 posts, read 455,580 times

Advertisements

I wonder how long it will be before MN follows NYC and starts banning things like transfats in all restaurants and bakeries, just to protect people from unheathly things.
Hold on folks... we may well be kissing our favorite Brats and Kielbasa goodbye too...as soon as someone proclaims them too fat laden to be healthy for us.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM

204 posts, read 772,714 times
AuntieBob-you forgot those "low cal" hot dishes! Say goodbye to Velveeta and cream soups. This is no laughing matter-It could happen. We are a 'nanny state' for sure.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

143 posts, read 455,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
AuntieBob-you forgot those "low cal" hot dishes! Say goodbye to Velveeta and cream soups. This is no laughing matter-It could happen. We are a 'nanny state' for sure.
They'll have to pry my Tuna Suprise from my cold, dead hands.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM

865 posts, read 2,494,953 times
Default important distinction

I love satire and sarcasm - I've read theses posts with a wry smile - But let's not stray too far from the important distinction. I control what I put in my gullet, but it's harder to maintain control over the air I breath while indoors. Still, I can choose the bar I frequent... so maybe this should have been left to the free market to sort out!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 PM

571 posts, read 2,524,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I love satire and sarcasm - I've read theses posts with a wry smile - But let's not stray too far from the important distinction. I control what I put in my gullet, but it's harder to maintain control over the air I breath while indoors. Still, I can choose the bar I frequent... so maybe this should have been left to the free market to sort out!
True, I realize that someone simply being fat and/or eating unhealthy food doesn't directly impact another person like smoking can, but it won't be long until we hear more arguments about how "fat people are causing health insurance rates to go up for all of us" or "too many fat people on an airplane wastes fuel and they should have to pay more" or even "no one should have to look at a fat person in public, it offends me!"

Back to San Francisco...just read on Yahoo a few days ago that they are going to ban smoking in ALL multi-family apartment buildings (the exception being "townhomes" that don't share a floor or ceiling with another unit.) Now, I don't have a problem with a landlord who doesn't allow smoking in his/her property (many of them already have that policy) but I am I the only one who thinks this government "mandate" is going a little too far?? (I also wonder how they plan to enforce something like this? Again, don't the police have have better things to do?)

They're also talking about issuing tickets to people caught smoking with minors in their cars in SF. I really don't disagree with this (I don't think people should smoke in any kind of confined space with children present), BUT how long before people aren't allowed to smoke in their cars at all?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:48 PM

118 posts, read 206,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post

They're also talking about issuing tickets to people caught smoking with minors in their cars in SF. I really don't disagree with this (I don't think people should smoke in any kind of confined space with children present), BUT how long before people aren't allowed to smoke in their cars at all?
I also agree that smoking around children should be banned but it won't be long that smoking anywhere including your car will be banned along with any other things you do in your car (cell phones, radios, eating, etc.) Yes, the police have better things to do than enforce this ban.
At one of the National Laboratories in NM, you cannot smoke while in your car (windows rolled up) on Laboratory property. Who's being harmed by smoking in this instance?

Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 AM

571 posts, read 2,524,798 times
Castaway, I'm sure you heard about that company (I can't remember which one, but it was in the news several months ago) that gave its employees a deadline after which they could be fired if it was found that they smoked. Not just on company time/property but AT ALL--anytime, anywhere--even in the privacy of your own home. So how long before people can be fired for eating trans fats or drinking alcohol or not exercising enough?

Seriously though, no matter how hard they may work or how much they may contribute to society, I think our society demonizes smokers (and perhaps to a lesser extent, fat people) much more than it does crackheads, alcoholics and welfare bums.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,143,404 times
Not quite a bar but at the marching band competition we were at last night the announcer was going over the rules and stated "by law the entire campus of the school, including the parking lots, are smoke free". The crowd gave a very loud and enthusiastic applause to that announcement.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not quite a bar but at the marching band competition we were at last night the announcer was going over the rules and stated "by law the entire campus of the school, including the parking lots, are smoke free". The crowd gave a very loud and enthusiastic applause to that announcement.
It is a school with children present.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
Castaway, I'm sure you heard about that company (I can't remember which one, but it was in the news several months ago) that gave its employees a deadline after which they could be fired if it was found that they smoked. Not just on company time/property but AT ALL--anytime, anywhere--even in the privacy of your own home. So how long before people can be fired for eating trans fats or drinking alcohol or not exercising enough?

Seriously though, no matter how hard they may work or how much they may contribute to society, I think our society demonizes smokers (and perhaps to a lesser extent, fat people) much more than it does crackheads, alcoholics and welfare bums.
Yes, I am aware of this. Maybe smokers should wear a big scarlet 'S'. Isn't this a form of discrimination? I think I read that there is a lawsuit pending on this very matter.

Last edited by Castaway; 10-14-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota