Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
It is a school with children present.
Well, yes, there were students competing/watching the marching band show. School campuses in MN have been smoke free for many, many years. The reminder last night was normal but it got a big applause from the audience.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 AM

184 posts, read 1,017,385 times
I'm more likely to go to bars now that they are smoke free. In the past, that was the main thing keeping me away.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 AM

118 posts, read 206,554 times
Midnitebreeze:
I find the insanity of this whole topic, is that a legal activity is being banned.
Proponents for the smoking ban insist that the ban is the best interests of the general population. I for one, cannot see it being in the best interest of this country. Banning legal activities, as you have said before, is a very slippery slope.
Proponents declare that they are not saying you can't smoke just where you can. Not so true anymore. Companies and the government are telling you, smoke and you lose your job. The plot thickens!
Once again, the bar scene in my area has dwindled to nothing. One thing must be said, I do live in a very unique part of the country. Non-smokers that live here are not bar goers. They have more to lose drinking than smoking.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenin View Post
I'm more likely to go to bars now that they are smoke free. In the past, that was the main thing keeping me away.
I hear that from many people. I haven't seen that here in NM. Will you be going to the bars or thinking about it? I am not trying to be argumentative but I find that what people say and what they do are two different things. You are either a bar goer or not. The world is at your feet. Support your local establishments!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I hear that from many people. I haven't seen that here in NM. Will you be going to the bars or thinking about it? I am not trying to be argumentative but I find that what people say and what they do are two different things. You are either a bar goer or not. The world is at your feet. Support your local establishments!

For me personally, I have gone to 3 separate bar/restaurants that I have not gone to in the past because they were so smoky. There have been MANY times in the past however many years where DH and I have said "let's not go there it is too smoky". Now we don't have to worry.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For me personally, I have gone to 3 separate bar/restaurants that I have not gone to in the past because they were so smoky. There have been MANY times in the past however many years where DH and I have said "let's not go there it is too smoky". Now we don't have to worry.
Golfgal,
We are talking about bars, aren't we?

Restaurants are a different animal. I DO agree that restaurants should be non-smoking. My restaurarant has always been non-smoking. The restaurant has not been affected by the ban.

The bar (separate room) definitely has! Are you the type of person that is a late night bar goer or an early evening bar goer? Are you a person that has 1 drink & goes or do you have more and make a full night of it? Do you frequent a bar (the same establishment) daily? How often do you go out to a bar? If you're not a frequent bar goer and are a once in awhile bar goer it does make a lot of difference in the pocket of owners. Many establishments have loyal clientele that come in everyday and do not bounce around to every bar in town, they have their favorites and that's where they go. Private business should be able to set their own house rules based on their clientele base.

I feel that the only equitable solution is to post whether you are a smoking bar or non-smoking bar.

When it comes to bars, I say to my husband, let's not go there it's too noisy, there's too many kids (don't want to deal w/testosterone), too much head banging music, too pricey, too many inexperienced servers (can't make a drink to save their lives), too many jerks that think they own the place, etc.

I used to go to one bar only, everyday, a beer or 2 and a conversation, . I go home now because there's no one there to talk to. They had experienced and responsible servers, older crowd ( no testosterone flare ups), great music (sixties, seventies, jazz, blue grass), reasonably priced, down to earth people that enjoy a great debate or conversation and a SMOKE. I'ts not the same anymore.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 PM

Bar/Restaurants I guess. One place in St. Paul is a 'bar' that serves food. One place is a pizza place that has a bar. Call them what you will but I am still going to places I didn't before because of the smoking ban. I am past the bar hopping stage of my life so I don't go to "bars" I guess.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,130,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
They're going after your Twinkies next!
Twinkies don't make the other patrons stink like ash trays.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Bar/Restaurants I guess. One place in St. Paul is a 'bar' that serves food. One place is a pizza place that has a bar. Call them what you will but I am still going to places I didn't before because of the smoking ban. I am past the bar hopping stage of my life so I don't go to "bars" I guess.
Thanks for clarifying, Golfgal. There are many venues out there. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. I am glad to see that you are taking advantage of your new found freedom. Many people don't. That hurts small businesses in a very big way.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,931,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Twinkies don't make the other patrons stink like ash trays.
Maybe not but your dollars go to pay for health care for those twinkie eaters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota