U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,421 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what the general concensus on Cottage Grove is. I asked a few friends, and some said it can be shady in some areas, but others say that it is one of the safest suburbs in MN. How are the school systems, and the people? Any "stereotypes" about them? Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,044,523 times
I don't know that Cottage Grove is "shady". I am sure there are some neighborhoods that aren't very nice. It's a pretty area but the schools are marginal and it's kind of landlocked, meaning that there is one way in and out of town so if you are going to commute and there is an accident or bad snow storm, you have no other options but to sit in traffic and wait. It's one area I wouldn't recommend moving to. There are just much better options close by and all over the metro.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 AM

424 posts, read 1,060,243 times
I have friends who live in Cottage Grove, so I go there often. I'd say it's mostly working class, with small to mid-size homes built in the 50's, 60's and 70's. It's true that crime is very low (search Cottage Grove MN crime stats) but based on the appearance of the streets, I don't think there's a lot of money in the city's till ---or they're just not spending it on appearances. Still, if my finances took a downturn, I wouldn't mind living there. There's a lot of convenient shopping and the people are pleasant. However, as golfgal mentioned, Cottage Grove is pretty much landlocked.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 2,993,020 times
My parents almost bought a house there on 61 when I was back in junior high, if I remember correctly. I think it's relatively pleasant and I wouldn't mind raising a family there. Hastings is right by as well and Hastings is nice. I'm sure it will be a nicer area as well when they get the new bridge into Hastings.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,775,223 times
All the shopping areas are very very unorganized, cant stand it. used to be a drive-in theater but now its closed

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM

191 posts, read 336,339 times
I would agree with Golfgal.

Cottage Grove is a generic, middle-class place that is just kind of "there". It looks and feels like nowhere in particular. It has sprawling...unwalkability...houses...Menards...Wen dy's...McDonald's...roads...trees...and highway 61. There are many better options.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,317 times
I think Cottage Grove has improved over the years. It's got a great golf course, actually two. It does wierd community things to celebrate the different seasons like the Holiday Train in December and Strawberry Fest in June. The City feels safe to me and I love the bike trails and the fact that it feels like a small town.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM

5,650 posts, read 6,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
All the shopping areas are very very unorganized, cant stand it. used to be a drive-in theater but now its closed
I went by the drive in yesterday and it's open again. They're showing a double feature... Ice Age 4 and Spiderman. Thinking of taking the family this weekend.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM

2,865 posts, read 2,993,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I went by the drive in yesterday and it's open again. They're showing a double feature... Ice Age 4 and Spiderman. Thinking of taking the family this weekend.
That's news to me.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,163,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
That's news to me.

Indeed it is...going to have to make the trip down there one of these days.

Cottage View Drive-In - Mann Theatres
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota