Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,017,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Hate to do this to you, but when you get outside of Minnesota the one thing that stands out the most has to be the Mall of America. It has no equal in the U.S.

Gee, in my state of South Dakota you don't suppose it would be Mr. Rushmore? Duh!!! Nothing else close.
Wall Drug's roadside advertising campaign is obviously failing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM

88 posts, read 138,496 times
For those within the state I'd probably say the Stone Arch Bridge. Outside is definitely MOA.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,416,869 times
I'd probably have to agree that the Metrodome might be the most visibly recognizable landmark to out-of-staters. Maybe the Duluth lift bridge might be the next? I can't think of too many other things that are distinctive enough that someone seeing it without other context would say, "Oh, that's in Minnesota!"

A lake with a loon on it and a canoe in the water should be a dead giveaway, though

Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,416,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
For those within the state I'd probably say the Stone Arch Bridge. Outside is definitely MOA.
In all honesty, I grew up in outstate Minnesota, and I had never heard of the Stone Arch Bridge until I moved to the metro last year and started working downtown. I think its recognition would actually be pretty well limited to the Metro.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,155,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
In all honesty, I grew up in outstate Minnesota, and I had never heard of the Stone Arch Bridge until I moved to the metro last year and started working downtown. I think its recognition would actually be pretty well limited to the Metro.
Even more specifically, Minneapolis residents.

The outside of the MOA is very recognizable. Living in MN we don't really see it as a big deal but MOA receives more visitors every year than Disneyworld. Internationally people come to visit MOA as well. Out of the region, people won't associate MN with lakes and loons either. If anything, they think snow and polar bears--because people elsewhere think it is snowy, cold and basically the Arctic Circle here. In our travels when people find out we are from MN, they always ask about MOA. Now, I think the most recognized MN anything would be 3M and either Scotch Tape or Post-it Notes, but most people don't know that 3M is headquartered in MN and don't really associate 3M branded things with MN, but everyone will know what a Post-It Note is.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,139,471 times
Moa is probably the most visited. but I don't see it as having any visually redeeming qualities.
and it does not qualify as a "landmark" IMO.

Lake Superior
Split rock.
Areal lift beige.
the mpls skyline after dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Minnesota's most recognizable landmark is...?-aa-dull.bmp  

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,155,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Moa is probably the most visited. but I don't see it as having any visually redeeming qualities.
and it does not qualify as a "landmark" IMO.

Lake Superior
Split rock.
Areal lift beige.
the mpls skyline after dark.
So what is your definition of a "landmark" then?

Most people in MN would recognize all of those, no one outside of the region would know those on site unless they visited them by chance.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,442,453 times
The Walker Sculpture garden
The St Paul Cathedral
Paul Bunyan & Babe

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM

127 posts, read 336,481 times
A giant walleye, northern or Muskey. Any one of the many state fish sculptures/statues would pretty much say Minnesota.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,139,471 times
Everything I posted or has been is a land mark.
But to be a landmark for the state, would be the one that has an appealing appearance greater than a mall. ie a big warehouse with stores inside.

Lake superior is a world known lake and the lift bridge is iconic and has been used for decades in magazines and in propaganda used in the tourist industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So what is your definition of a "landmark" then?

Most people in MN would recognize all of those, no one outside of the region would know those on site unless they visited them by chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota