Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	paulandbabe.jpg
Views:	9142
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	99698This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Minnesota needs a giant statue of a mosquito. It would become famous and your long desired trademark.

Another idea, hire a sculture to carve the iconic figures of Minnesota together similar to Mt. Rushmore. We can use a mosquito, the Hamm's Bear, Paul Bunyan, Floyd of Rosedale, and a loon. Yea, that's the ticket !!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times
The Mosquito is our official State bird, not the Loon.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Minnesota needs a giant statue of a mosquito. It would become famous and your long desired trademark.
while we already got one...

Google Image Result for http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/mn/MNEFFmosquito_johnston.jpg

Manitoba did it better...

Google Image Result for http://www.bigthings.ca/manitoba/pictures/1mos1.jpg

Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Isn't that the way it goes. You think that you've got an original idea and it's already been done.

Maybe the U. of Minnesota football team can play the U. of Winnipeg for a traveling mosquito trophy just like the Iowa/Minnesota "Floyd of Rosedale". We can call it the "Lena of Lake of the Woods" trophy.

POTENTIAL??????

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM

105 posts, read 477,937 times
Although I have been in MN for 2 years, I have traveled all over the state. Here is my list of MN's landmarks below:

Mall of America (Sadly, MN is most associated with MOA.)
Forshay Tower
IDS Building
Cherry on The Spoon sculpture
Paul Bunyan statue
Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statue
Duluth Aerial Bridge
Split Rock Lighthouse
Stone Arch Bridge
Mary Tyler Moore's statue
North St. Paul Snowman
Stillwater Lift Bridge (Stillwater is the birthplace of MN!)
Metrodome
Target Field (potential to be nationally recognized in future)
Lake Superior
SPAM Museum
Mickey's Diner
Mosquito Statue
Mayo Clinic
Walker Art Center, Weisman Art Museum, & Guthrie Theater
Blue Mounds State Park (I wish more people would know more about it.)

More Statues
World's Largest Fish
World's Largest Prairie Chicken
World's Largest Pelican
World's Largest Turkey
World's Largest Loon
World's Largest Tiger Muskie
World's Largest Walleye
World's Largest Jolly Green Giant
World's Largest Boot
World's Largest Ball of Twine

Last edited by Missourian11; 08-14-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,954 times
Default Opinion of a newbie

I just moved here from the South, and prior to that I lived elsewhere in the midwest (St. Louis) and grew up on the East Coast.

In my opinion, there are four things that people universally think about when they hear Minnesota (and I've had lots of practice recently, when I told all of my family and friends that I was moving to MN - this is largely based on their responses.)

1. The cold weather. (Far and away the most universal comment)
2. Lakes.
3. Mall of America.
4. Mayo Clinic.

Those are pretty much universal. The first two aren't "specific things" so I guess MOA and Mayo are the most famous things in the state. If you're talking to a sports fan, you also get into the Vikings, Twins, Wild and Timberwolves. No one I've talked to over the past year mentioned the Metrodome. It was probably more nationally known when it first opened, but for various reasons, the New Oreleans Superdome is more well known now. The Metrodome is "just another dome stadium" to everyone outside of the region, just like say the Georgia Dome in Atlanta or the (whoever sponsors it now) dome in St. Louis.

Other things mentioned on this thread, in my experience, are unknown outside of the state. This includes the Cherry on a Spoon, the Stone Arch Bridge, any specific buildings in the state other than MOA (and to a certain niche demographic, Split Rock), Paul Bunyan (not that he is unknown, but he's not associated strongly with MN by the rest of the country), or anything in Duluth (most people are not really aware of Duluth period, and certainly not of its lift bridge. Most people in this country, if they've even heard of Duluth, are not aware that it's on a lake or serves as a somewhat important port).

Now, having spent almost a full year here and having seen MN in all seasons, my #1 most Minnesotan "thing" has to be the State Fair. I'm not sure Minnesotans realize how special or "Minnesotan" it really is. I also think the Mayo Clinic is really unique and an incredible asset that is certainly the most famous thing in Minnesota internationally (interesting that the most nationally famous thing - the MOA - and the most internationally famous thing, Mayo, are not the same).

Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
perhaps a wood chipper spraying out person remains.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
Before I opened this thread, my first thought was Split Rock Lighthouse.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
The MTM statue for me, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota