Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 PM

158 posts, read 1,081,619 times

Advertisements

The store I will be managing is a Sherwin Williams Paint store. It's great to hear they have a website. My girls need to continue their swimming lessons. Any rumors out there about any other retail or restraunts coming to grand rapids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,934 times
Other than the (rumored) Best Buy, the only other thing I've heard is something about a possible Wendy's. They had cleared a big lot kind of in front of the Home Depot a year or two ago and that's where people thought the new Wal-Mart was going, but obviously not. Someone told me that's where the Best Buy is going to go, but there hasn't been any activity there for a long time. Looks like they're clearing some other lots around the new Wal-Mart site, so who knows.

So it your store the smaller building just east of the new Wal-Mart? My husband and I thought it looked like a possible auto parts store, or maybe a batteries plus.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Yes, that's our paint store. If your not familiar with Sherwin Wiliiams. We are the largest paint company in North America. Second in the world. We obviously sell paint, but also help with decorating advice, wallpaper, decorative paint techniques, window blinds, floorcovering, drywall products and other stuff. I'll be moving in 2 weeks to start putting in computers, tinters, shelving and product until we do a grand opening in Mid November. My family is so excited to move there. I hope I don't feel clostorphobic in all the trees. I have lived on the plains of ND my whole life. We sold our house this last weekend and will be coming down this weekend to find an apartment. Then take our time to find a house that we really like. My wife will work at home for an insurance company. She is concerned about meeting people. What organizations are available for her to join to meet people? I'm definitely going to miss browsing around different stores. I get my walking in by going and walking in the malls and stores.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,934 times
Yes, I'm familiar with Sherwin...sounds like a nice addition to our little town

We do have a small mall on 4th st/hwy 2, but you could walk around it in less than 3 minutes. I do know what you mean about being from the plains....I worked with a woman from ND when we lived in CO Springs and she HATED that the mountains were "in her way" and she "couldn't see what was coming at her", LOL.

As far as meeting people, you mentioned you were church-goers, so that's an obvious place to start. Your wife might also want to check into the community ed classes going on...lots of fun activities where one can get involved and meet folks (i.e., arts & crafts, quilting, beer making, outdoors groups, etc.) Of course you will meet people at work too, so that should expand your social circle as well. Classes/activities at the Y are good too. I don't think it will take you long...if you make the effort to reach out, you'll find that people are pretty friendly and laid back around here.

Again, welcome and good luck with your apartment/house seraches! If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to give me a holler (you can PM me if you'd like as well.)

Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 31,441 times
Thumbs up Swimming in Grand Rapids

As far as Northern Minnesota is concerned there are no club swim teams to speak of. Luckily though Grand Rapids has a very strong swim program at the Junior High School. (Robert Elkington School if I remember correctly.) The pool facility is a pretty good 8 lane 25 yard pool with diving if I remember right. I know they have a summer swim program that is pretty good too. Grand Rapids High school is usually in the top ten schools in the State for (A) Swimming and along with Hibbing which is about 45 minutes East they are the premier Iron Range Swim schools. I moved from Grand Rapids about 30 years ago but my son swims at a high school meet their every year in mid December. You are a lucky man. Grand Rapids is a beautiful friendly town, I cannot think of a better place to live and the minute I retire that is where I am heading.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 AM

9 posts, read 44,419 times
I would love to live in Grand Rapids area. My grandparents have a lake home there...it is nearly heaven!

Funny, I was just talking with my Grandpa about the Sherwin Williams store a couple weeks ago.

I would retire there, but I'm not even 30, so that may be out of the question. Also, I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me. She is from RURAL SD and refuses to be a rural person again. Wait til we move to Orlando, that will give her a wake up call! Maybe we'll move there in a few years?! haha.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM

32 posts, read 75,272 times
Thumbs up ahh yes.

I miss GR now. Moved to Topeka, KS to be with my g/f. I miss GR a lot. Reading this makes me sort of sad. Topeka has a lot of crime, a lot of conservative people, crappy culture, and a lot of places to eat but nothing to do unless you like to drink which I no longer do. (wow, 21 and I'm not drinking. great.)

I'm an outdoor-sy person. fishing, hiking, camping, swiming, etc. all of it is right there.

I honestly spent much of my life wishing there were more stores, etc...then I went to a city that has it all and I almost never use any of it. I work at a GIANT wal-mart (used to be a Hypermart style....now it's Supercenter), and I do a lot of shopping there because it's easy, mostly.

Other than going to Barnes and Noble on occasion, I don't really do much else.

I miss the insanely friendly people, and being able to talk to just about anyone you see.

Not to mention the new (well...year old now I guess) Brewed Awakenings which is a really nice coffee shop run by some really cool people.

Summer in Grand Rapids area is amazing.

I actually moved here from Bovey which has become more of a ghost town since they moved 169 to go completely around Bovey. I really liked even that town. a nice library (though I wouldn't say that it is contemporary by any means).... nice people...

Grand Rapids Library is on the Mississippi waterfront...a HUGE newer building and a very contemporary library. Computers, study rooms, conference rooms...etc.

I find that the things I use most in the big city I'm in now are the very things that were the staple places in GR.

As far as crime and drugs go... Meth is a problem on the Iron range, but unless you are one of "those" kinds of people, you may never even notice it. Especially if you don't frequent the bars. Crimes? the occasional fights. many of which happen between people who were probably partying and doing drugs. again... Also vehicle crimes happen, but again, nothing to be worried about. I seldom ever even locked my car in Bovey. Same with our house.

The radio stations are pretty crappy...and the one really good music store we had "Sam Goody" was bought by FYE and closed. which we all thought was pretty dumb since there were ALWAYS people in the store buying things. can't imagine it was a big money-maker but they weren't exactly hanging by a thread.

The city is VERY good at getting snow off the raods, and all of the bus drivers know their routes well and are very good drivers.

Many of the roads in GR are new and the ones that aren't are in fine shape from what I remember. (I've only been gone a year and a half)

I would love to get back to that area someday (or even just back to MN) but who knows. "She" doesn't like the cold. whicdh is funny since it's 16 outside right now. wouldn't call that warm, exactly.

Don't miss humidity though.

That's my 2 cents.

Ry

Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 AM

31 posts, read 92,683 times
Default Wendigo

I was looking for more information on Wendigo lodge. How is the food? Has anyone ever had/been to a wedding there.. any pros or cons to the place. ANy information would be very helpful

Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Wendigo is a mile behind my house. Don't know much yet. Had sunday brunch there and was great. Very beautiful log structures. Golf course looks gorgeous, golfing it this weekend. I heard rumors that the upkeep hasnt been the best. Talked with a guy that works there and has said that there has been a change in management and things are coming around real nicely.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Default Swimming in Grand Rapids

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry if this is going to be considered off-topic as I am not moving to Grand Rapids but it seems to be an active post, so the odds I'm going to get help seem to be higher.

I'm going to spend two months in Grand Rapids next fall and would like not to quit swimming for such a long time. Does anyone know if there are any places where I can pay by the week/month and keep practicing? No, I don't want to try to beat Mr. Phelps, but a 25-yard pool would help a lot.

Thank you all.

See you guys in October,
Leo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota