U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM

2,573 posts, read 1,678,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I know a number of people on both sides of the fence, both in MN and in GA, who simply voted along party lines during the past two elections.

Not only is that irresponsible, in my opinion, but it also exposes one large issue with our current system: it's a two party system that automatically defaults to an "us versus them" contest. That sort of one on one confrontation is built into the system here.

It usually takes quite a bit for me to start questioning a person's judgement, at least when it comes to individuals. Then again, most of the folks I tend to socialize with are generally capable of vocalizing their positions in an intelligent manner.

Look around at some of the postings on various news sites, etc. City Data is fairly good, and I respect the posters here even when I disagree with them, but a lot of what gets posted to other sites really makes me wonder about the future of this country. I just read an article that said that 16% of the self-proclaimed Republicans they surveyed still believed Obama was Muslim.

Really?

Sorry about the tangent, but there's a reason why I'm starting to lose faith in a certain percentage of the population. If all a person reads and listens to are self-selected news sites and talk show hosts who agree with their preconceived notions about the world around them, the bias they already possess will simply get reinforced and magnified over time. And that isn't helpful.

I personally find non-US web sites like the BBC, etc., to be a lot more useful when judging events and policies in the US that most of the common domestic news sources. They have interesting takes on the presidential candidates, too.
But you will question the judgement of millions of people you don't know simply because they disagreed with you on who they thought should be President? What kind of sense does that make? It seems to me that you really shouldn't be criticizing others for their biases after you make a statement like that. You can hardly criticize other people for being biased when you don't even see your own biases?

And you don't "self select" your sources of news? What does that even mean? Who decides for you? Of course you select sources that reinforce your views. No one thinks the BBC is an unbiased news source. There is no such thing! They all have a slant, it's only a problem when they and their readers/ viewers/ listeners don't acknowledge that.

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-14-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 PM

3,835 posts, read 1,739,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
In light of recent attacks on US Embassies in the Middle East, I think a LOT of Americans are struggling with things like this. And we all know why.
Really? We all know why? Did Keith Ellison or another Muslim member of congress attack something? Did I miss a headline? Just for s**ts and giggles, enlighten us as to why. Because we don't all know why. Also, let me direct your attention to the Wikipedia article on weasel words, specifically the part about numerically vague expressions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Quote:
Let the screaming begin...
Thanks for finally admitting to being a troll.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM

1,733 posts, read 867,623 times
Good grief

Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 AM

2,737 posts, read 690,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Really? We all know why? Did Keith Ellison or another Muslim member of congress attack something? Did I miss a headline? Just for s**ts and giggles, enlighten us as to why. Because we don't all know why. Also, let me direct your attention to the Wikipedia article on weasel words, specifically the part about numerically vague expressions: Weasel word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for finally admitting to being a troll.
Yes, I'm a troll with over 2,000 posts here. Thank you for your astute observation, Einstein!

Now, since you're too dense to observe the obvious, and have your head buried too far up the DFL's read end to be honest, let me spell it out for you. I'll type slowly...

1. It is radical MUSLIMS who are currently attacking American Embassies overseas, rioting and killing people - including an American ambassador. Why? Because some stupid film came out (from somewhere) that depicted Muslims as violent. Go figure.

2. It is radical MUSLIMS who have been behind nearly every terrorist attack on Americans (and/or American interests) for the past quarter century, including 9/11. Radical MUSLIMS are directly responsible for the deaths of THOUSANDS of Americans. It is an undeniable fact, that is without excuse.

Keith Ellison is a MUSLIM. And like it or not, he carries the same "guilt by association" as Baptists do, when people bring up the loud-but-harmless Westboro Baptist Church dolts. The main difference is that the WBC jerks are all blow and no go. They're not beheading people, nor bombing buildings, and sending suicide bombers into crowded markets.

Any lights coming on for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota