Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd post this article on the closing of my course, world famous Keller from St. Paul's East Side. One of only two publics left in America to have held a PGA (major, twice).
Quote:
One of the jewels of Minnesota public golf is about to go away for awhile.

Legends such as Ben Hogan, Patty Berg, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer have strolled across the hilly Maplewood terrain of Keller Golf Course, but the place will go on hiatus Oct. 1 for at least 18 months during a $12 million renovation.

The closing will be painful, said Grant Bjornberg of Vadnais Heights, who has played Keller for 17 years and plans to bring his camera along on an upcoming round so he can photograph the scene from each tee box.

mod cut
Maplewood: Keller Golf Course will be closing Oct. 1 for renovations - TwinCities.com

Last edited by golfgal; 09-29-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Only snippets of articles are allowed per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The course isn't "closing", they are renovating the course so it is unavailable for play until it's done.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The course isn't "closing", they are renovating the course so it is unavailable for play until it's done.
Uhhh, yeeeeaahhh.

They are closing and they are renovating it as well.

Anyway, I ain't in the mood for splitting hairs today.

BTW, you're welcome.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Govie, Since your course will be closed for the next year or two, c'mon over to Hiawatha. I've not played Keller, but they sound similar. Anyway, I love Hiawatha and I'm betting you'd like it, too.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
When's the last time you walked up to a locked business established with a sign that said "unavailable for remodeling"? Of course Keller's not permanently closed, but then Govie never said it was either.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Govie, Since your course will be closed for the next year or two, c'mon over to Hiawatha. I've not played Keller, but they sound similar. Anyway, I love Hiawatha and I'm betting you'd like it, too.
I was just paired up with a couple guys from South Minneapolis over here on the course I grew up, Phalen. They said they loved Phalen, but since I grew up on it it doesn't blow me away I guess.

Did you really never get to play Keller? While I am not crazy about the changes they are going to make (1, 9 and 10 will not look remotely similar) they are going to - from what I understand - largely keep intact the course as a whole. Just a shame 1 will not look anything like it as it plays tomorrow for the last time - 1 is my favorite hole on the course, outside of 12 and 14.

I will have to check Hiawatha out though. Also been meaning to check all the Minneapolis publics out but never tend to cross the River enough.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I was just paired up with a couple guys from South Minneapolis over here on the course I grew up, Phalen. They said they loved Phalen, but since I grew up on it it doesn't blow me away I guess.

Did you really never get to play Keller? While I am not crazy about the changes they are going to make (1, 9 and 10 will not look remotely similar) they are going to - from what I understand - largely keep intact the course as a whole. Just a shame 1 will not look anything like it as it plays tomorrow for the last time - 1 is my favorite hole on the course, outside of 12 and 14.

I will have to check Hiawatha out though. Also been meaning to check all the Minneapolis publics out but never tend to cross the River enough.
No, never played it but after hearing about it, I now hope to when it reopens. I guess I also have that tendency to stick to my side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota