Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM

39 posts, read 52,199 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of 3 school aged children I currently live in Columbia county GA I like it here but my children and I are not happy here. We are looking to move to the North area but where? I keep looking at different states and I keep coming back to Minnesota and a few others. We would like to take a weekend trip soon but would like to get some local opinions:

So this is what I am looking for:

Schools are number one for elementary and middle.
Cost of living is it possible to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom place under $700.00 a month that is in a safe neighborhood?
Crime rate I know everywhere there is crime but I want to make sure my kids feel safe as I am a single mom.
Community colleges local as I would like to go to school in the medical field
Convenience to where I can drive to a town for all my needs (grocery, hospitals, shopping etc but have the peace and quiet for my family.
Season change as I live in the South but was raised in New York we miss the season change as well as the snow so would love to live in a area where we can see some snow every year.
Taxes how are they are they high or moderate?

Having said all that I would love everyone's opinion and if you can give me your top 5 places to live with what I am looking for I would be extremely grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Marshall, MN. No community college there but a 4 year university right in town and 30 miles from a community college. Rent prices are well within reach, very, very safe town, great schools, has everything you need day to day for shopping, grocery stores, Walmart, etc. Hospital and medical clinics right in town. You can walk everywhere if you wanted. Property taxes are very reasonable. You could even buy a smaller house for your budget there so that would be a bonus too.

Most towns in MN that are in the 12,000-15,000 range are going to be good fits for you, not all, but most. The Twin Cities metro area is not going to be affordable at all so don't even consider that area. You will need to be at least an hour away or more, but you are still within driving distance to the Twin Cities if you want to drive up for the day to shop or whatever. In Marshall you are also an hour and a half away from Sioux Falls, SD for shopping, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Wow that is fantastic info thank you so much and a 30 minute commute for a community college isn't all that bad How is the weather there? I have 3 school aged children 12,10,8 my 2 oldest are boys and my little one is my girl I would like to make sure there are sports, dance and activities there as well.

Last edited by stacy30813; 10-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy30813 View Post
Wow that is fantastic info thank you so much and a 30 minute commute for a community college isn't all that bad How is the weather there? I have 3 school aged children 12,10,8 my 2 oldest are boys and my little one is my girl I would like to make sure there are sports, dance and activities there as well.
It's MN, it's hot and humid in the summers and cold and snowy in the winter, you will adapt. Marshall has one of the states best dance studios actually. They win numerous national and international awards annually along with producing several professional dancers for those that want to go to that level, if not, it's a popular place to study dance for all levels. There are plenty of sports leagues, etc. there as well-football, basketball, hockey, soccer, wrestling, baseball. Track and cross country for boys and girls teams are very good as well. The girls Volleyball team usually one of the top 4 rated teams in their class (#1 this year), same with girls basketball, swimming, etc. too. There is a great community pool with waterslides, etc. there too. Your older 2 can go to the pool alone even. There is a large wading pool for toddlers. You won't lack for things to do.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 AM

You have given me such fantastic information. I have been looking through Marshall is it flat land or do they have mountains? My kids keep telling me they want to move where there is mountains lol. Will we have luck with that too? I want to make sure my next move we will all be happy but more so for my kids

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy30813 View Post
You have given me such fantastic information. I have been looking through Marshall is it flat land or do they have mountains? My kids keep telling me they want to move where there is mountains lol. Will we have luck with that too? I want to make sure my next move we will all be happy but more so for my kids
It's MN, there are no mountains here. There is one quasi-mountain in the NE corner but it's more of a really big hill vs a mountain.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 AM

Lol thank you again for the information I appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota