Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to find out the Minnesota Supreme Court decision on the rental bans? I could not find any information when I searched. I will be surprised if they are allowed to remain in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM

192 posts, read 450,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Has anyone been able to find out the Minnesota Supreme Court decision on the rental bans? I could not find any information when I searched. I will be surprised if they are allowed to remain in effect.
The Minnesota Supreme Court has recently agreed to hear the Rental Ban case but have not ruled on the case yet. A ruling is expected by the end of the year.
Fight over rental restrictions heads to MN Supreme Court « Watchdog.org

Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM

125 posts, read 259,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
That isn't exactly new. Minneapolis has tried to maintain a balance between resident owner and absentee owner for some time. Transient communities have more crime and are a public expense. Trouble is that nonresidents come in to buy cheap houses as investments. They then rent to the wrong people and don't supervise them. Next thing you know you have places that receive multiple police calls for all sorts of disruption of neighborhoods. It isn't a matter of banning renting, it is a matter of transitioning one neighborhood after another to rental. I lived in Minneapolis rentals for decades. The idea that rentals are scarce in Minneapolis is a myth. By the way, converting your house from homestead to rental here is very expensive, for all the same reasons. We prize our owner-occupied homes.
I always thought the strict rules on rentals in Minneapolis were designed to cause properties to be forfeited to the Minneapolis Community Development Agency. Like the laws about if a crime is committed by a stranger on your rental property, you lose the property to the city.

The same people sit on the board of the MCDA and the City Council that passed the laws that trigger forfeiture of property, and I think it's a conflict of interest.

At least that's how it all looked to me before I got the hell out of there after living in South Minneapolis for 20 years of my adult life.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Default West St Paul Rental Ban

As we await the Minnesota Supreme Court's Ruling on these Rental Bans in Minnesota, here is some more background information on the case. It's good to see the ACLU standing up against these Rental Bans now too.
The Institute for Justice
MN Rental Caps | The Institute for Justice
http://www.ij.org/images/pdf_folder/...for-review.pdf

Old 12-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Minnesota Supreme Court Hears the case.
State Supreme Court hears dispute over Winona's rental limits | Star Tribune
http://www.ij.org/mn-rental-caps-background
Winona rental ordinance heads to Minn. Supreme Court | Star Tribune

Last edited by glendog; 12-18-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 AM

459 posts, read 474,744 times
I think it's a good idea to ban rentals after a certain point in a neighborhood. They can ruin a neighborhood. I like the point system as well. That's when if the cops are called out to your rental property you lose points and after so many points you can no longer rent that property out. It sometimes makes people care who they rent to, because the cops were getting called out to these properties two to three times a day if not more. Since the morals and values of society are diminishing and seemingly more and more people don't care the laws need to change to accomodate that!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I think it's a good idea to ban rentals after a certain point in a neighborhood. They can ruin a neighborhood. I like the point system as well. That's when if the cops are called out to your rental property you lose points and after so many points you can no longer rent that property out. It sometimes makes people care who they rent to, because the cops were getting called out to these properties two to three times a day if not more. Since the morals and values of society are diminishing and seemingly more and more people don't care the laws need to change to accomodate that!
I am on the same page with you, right up until you start arbitrarily removing some people's rights while allowing others to keep theirs. The ends do not justify the means. You can't legislate morality or good behavior but you can hold them accountable for it by enforcing the existing housing and rental codes already on the books and which are applied evenly to everyone, not arbitrarily like these bans. Furthermore the tendency some have to blame "renters" is misplaced. Anytime you start scapegoating or blaming certain people or any class of people in a society you are going down a treacherous road. Societies that have done so in the past were scary places to live! These rental bans are most certainly discriminatory, not fair and equitable for everyone, do not provide equal protection under the law and thus are most likely unconstitutional.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I rented for many years. I now own a home. Nothing magically transformed me into a better neighbor or more responsible person once I owned in the neighborhood instead or renting. Owning did make me into a better person. I agree with glendog on this one -- we have policies already on the books. And when it comes to problem behaviors, the issue is the behavior, not whether or not the person responsible is sending their checks to the bank or to a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota